Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
So which part of the system actually worked? How long would it take you to be charged in the same situation? The officer hasn't been charged.

Depends on how the investigation is conducted.

For what it is worth, it often takes longer for Officers to be charged with something because it takes special people to investigate such things (often outside agencies or at least special divisions within the agency for small things)

If you think about that, it makes sense and is a good thing, even if it can take longer than traditional investigations.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
As noted, outside agencies typically get involved when an LEO has possibly "crossed the line". That slows things down...and also lessens the chances of things being swept under a rug.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Hold on...

You mean a group of Officers seemingly try to cover something up...and get BUSTED for it within 24 hours...

It sounds like the system worked very well. It sounds like a pretty trustworthy system that is not going to tolerate such things.
Since you didn't really understand my post, I will clarify.

I am not talking about "the system" whatever that may be. I am talking about trusting individual SAPD cops. I realize that these "bad cops" probably only represent 1%-2% of the entire force but even that percentage is too much. That is all it takes to make citizens to start losing trust.

The percentage I am guessing is the cops actually commiting an offense, I am not even talking about how many of his buddies will attempt to cover up for him.

This particular officer was in his unmarked patrol car when the incident happened, then his co-workers obviously handled the situation in a way that just doesn't happen to us regular citizens. The situation was handled in his favor.

Many of your responses are really biased and tend to not reflect actual experiences and views of citizens. Do me a favor, when you post on here...get out of the cocky cop mode and just try to relate a little to those of us that are not cops. I know it is hard for you to do that...but try.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Since you didn't really understand my post, I will clarify.

I am not talking about "the system" whatever that may be. I am talking about trusting individual SAPD cops. I realize that these "bad cops" probably only represent 1%-2% of the entire force but even that percentage is too much. That is all it takes to make citizens to start losing trust.

The percentage I am guessing is the cops actually commiting an offense, I am not even talking about how many of his buddies will attempt to cover up for him.

This particular officer was in his unmarked patrol car when the incident happened, then his co-workers obviously handled the situation in a way that just doesn't happen to us regular citizens. The situation was handled in his favor.

Many of your responses are really biased and tend to not reflect actual experiences and views of citizens. Do me a favor, when you post on here...get out of the cocky cop mode and just try to relate a little to those of us that are not cops. I know it is hard for you to do that...but try.
You call me the "cocky" one who cant relate....yet in the same post "tell" us how it "really" is. That is quite ironic.

First off, I was NOT a cop a lot longer than I have been a cop. How much time do you have on both sides? So on the "relate" side, I have both sides...do you?

As far as "just doesnt happen to us regular citizens"....that is a false statement...and comes from you having never been on both sides of this issue. The Police help people and cut them a break ALL the time. From the guy who is almost home and the Officer gets him home, to letting people go with a warning, to overlooking youthful indescretions. Many police bend over backwards to help people out who could be in trouble.

If you dont like what I have to say or how I say it, that is fair, you may even be right about me as a person but it(what I have to say) does give an understanding of somethings that your eyes and feelings dont.

Do you want to be correct or at least have more complete information or do you just want to tell us all how you feel?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Depends on how the investigation is conducted.

For what it is worth, it often takes longer for Officers to be charged with something because it takes special people to investigate such things (often outside agencies or at least special divisions within the agency for small things)

If you think about that, it makes sense and is a good thing, even if it can take longer than traditional investigations.
But why? Why does it take a special investigator? He was drinking on his own time, just a regular ol' drunk yokel, crashing his truck. That's a DUI. Did he get a blood test? Was he arrested? Jail? Nope.

San Antonio is lucky that there was one good cop out of 7 on the scene. Unfortunately, he'll be labeled a rat by the union and its members.

edit: And the Chief. He seems to be trying to stomp out DUIs amongst the cops and firemen. I definitely applaud that.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
You call me the "cocky" one who cant relate....yet in the same post "tell" us how it "really" is. That is quite ironic.

First off, I was NOT a cop a lot longer than I have been a cop. How much time do you have on both sides? So on the "relate" side, I have both sides...do you?

As far as "just doesnt happen to us regular citizens"....that is a false statement...and comes from you having never been on both sides of this issue. The Police help people and cut them a break ALL the time. From the guy who is almost home and the Officer gets him home, to letting people go with a warning, to overlooking youthful indescretions. Many police bend over backwards to help people out who could be in trouble.

If you dont like what I have to say or how I say it, that is fair, you may even be right about me as a person but it(what I have to say) does give an understanding of somethings that your eyes and feelings dont.

Do you want to be correct or at least have more complete information or do you just want to tell us all how you feel?
You have been a cop long enough to act like one, even here on C-D which isn't necessary a bad thing until you act really condescending. You act like you are on both sides, but you have forgotten what "the other side" is like.

You claim to be "zen" and such, but no...you are pretty cocky.

I have no problem telling you how I feel because you certainly don't have any problem doing the same.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times
That's right...expose them all and administer the consequences. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.. They're supposed to uphold the law so they should suffer stiffer penalties.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
You have been a cop long enough to act like one, even here on C-D which isn't necessary a bad thing until you act really condescending. You act like you are on both sides, but you have forgotten what "the other side" is like.

You claim to be "zen" and such, but no...you are pretty cocky.

I have no problem telling you how I feel because you certainly don't have any problem doing the same.
I see, this is about me and not the information.

Ok, I get that, some people are like that. It is a layer you get to put between how you feel and information that challenges that information.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
But why? Why does it take a special investigator? He was drinking on his own time, just a regular ol' drunk yokel, crashing his truck. That's a DUI. Did he get a blood test? Was he arrested? Jail? Nope.

San Antonio is lucky that there was one good cop out of 7 on the scene. Unfortunately, he'll be labeled a rat by the union and its members.
First of all, the Officer, just like everyone else was not guilty of anything.(yet) The Police dont determine guilt. Courts do.

Second, are you really arguing against having an outside agency "police the police" because it might take a little longer? ....really, you have a problem with that?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
That's right...expose them all and administer the consequences. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.. They're supposed to uphold the law so they should suffer stiffer penalties.

Statistically speaking, the Police do suffer stiffer penalties for most criminal violations than the average person. And so they should.

besides the fact that you will find most Police believe they should be held to a higher standard as well...few people hate a "bad" cop more than other cops.

Do you (rhetorical, not actually asking you) think the police like the way people often feel about us? Of course not. Sometimes, for sometihngs, there is nothing we can do about it. You will never make friends handing out tickets or trying to explain to people why you cant help them or they will have to wait. We accept that just comes with the job...but we can save a thousand lives and help a million people...but a very few cops and not very often do something wrong...and we are all to be held in contempt.

There is an old joke. If you want friends, become a fireman. They do things for you. The Police do things to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio