Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,348,445 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with SAAggiemom: I've been an active member of my HOA for over 20 years and while I do agree that some HOA's rules are excessive and too intrusive with homeowner's you are still obligated to follow the rules. When you purchased the home, you agreed to follow the rules of the HOA. If you didn't like the rules, you shouldn't have purchased a home in that neighborhood. HOA's have dues that every homeowner must pay in order to ensure common areas are being maintained as well as pay the day to day expenses of running the HOA. By you not paying your dues, the other homeowner's have to pick up your slack. You are also enjoying the amenities of the neighborhood that you did not help pay for. That is not fair to those who pay their part. As far as the legal fees they are charging you goes, if my HOA has to pay an attorney to get my neighbors to follow the rules they agreed to when they purchased their home, then I EXPECT my HOA to recoup those fees from my neighbor and not me by raising my dues to cover the cost of neighbors not paying their fair share. Bottom line, pay your dues or sell your house and move to a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:46 PM

5,636 posts, read 6,594,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixonbatson View Post
I live in Bexar County Tx and the HOA is trying to put a lien on my home for 1200.00 and they attached almost 3000.00 atty fees. The only arrangements they will take is 800.00 by March 1 and 500.00 per month. I only receive 800.00 per month ssd.

Is there anyone that can help me or tell me where I can get help. An attorney that will not charge. Please Moderator cut: send DM to me. I only have ten days to get back with them.
How does one live on $800.00 a month? You may need a bankruptcy attorney. You cannot afford to own a home in an HOA community.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM

166 posts, read 572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
How does one live on $800.00 a month? You may need a bankruptcy attorney. You cannot afford to own a home in an HOA community.

Does SSD equal Social Security Disability?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:10 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,831,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I totally agree with SAAggiemom: I've been an active member of my HOA for over 20 years and while I do agree that some HOA's rules are excessive and too intrusive with homeowner's you are still obligated to follow the rules. When you purchased the home, you agreed to follow the rules of the HOA. If you didn't like the rules, you shouldn't have purchased a home in that neighborhood. HOA's have dues that every homeowner must pay in order to ensure common areas are being maintained as well as pay the day to day expenses of running the HOA. By you not paying your dues, the other homeowner's have to pick up your slack. You are also enjoying the amenities of the neighborhood that you did not help pay for. That is not fair to those who pay their part. As far as the legal fees they are charging you goes, if my HOA has to pay an attorney to get my neighbors to follow the rules they agreed to when they purchased their home, then I EXPECT my HOA to recoup those fees from my neighbor and not me by raising my dues to cover the cost of neighbors not paying their fair share. Bottom line, pay your dues or sell your house and move to a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA.
If they are too excessive / intrusive then why should the homeowner just sit back and take it?

I currently live in a neighborhood with no HOA and prefer it to be that way although the city is currently trying to make the neighorhood I live in a "local historic district". They have had a meeting already about this and another one is scheduled. After the second meeting, we have 90 days to vote yes or no on the issue. We need at least 51% of the homes voting no to squash the process. If there is no vote from a house within the proposed boundary then the vote is regarded as a yes which is wrong in my opinion. From what I have heard from most of my neighbors, it looks like it will pass unfortunately.

I don't like a HOA or the city telling me what color I can paint my house or if I am allowed to plant a tree or not. It is my property and one of the reasons I picked a house within a non-HOA mandated neighborhood. I hope the historic district designation does not pass either but only time will tell.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,067,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If they are too excessive / intrusive then why should the homeowner just sit back and take it?
No, you simply don't move into a neighborhood with HOA restrictions that you can't agree with!

Heck, most of the time HOAs are guilty of not enforcing the bylaws! Ours is really slacking, I see commercial vehicles parked in driveways, trash cans left out for days, vehicles with expired registrations/inspections in driveways, and even people parking on their lawns. All of which are against the bylaws, and this only on a cul-de-sac with a dozen homes on it!

Sorry, but the OP should have read the paperwork before buying the home. I understand people's financial situations change, but if he/she has been in arrears for their HOA dues for two years or more than they've waited far too long to do something about it. Most of the time you can make arrangements that will keep the issue from becoming this big, I worked collections for a while and know that usually the people that get in this deep are ones that knew about the problem for a long time but didn't do anything to try and correct it.

My advice would be to try and make arrangements for some kind of payments that might keep you from losing your home.

Good luck, I hope it turns out in your favor.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-11-2012, 04:14 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,831,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
No, you simply don't move into a neighborhood with HOA restrictions that you can't agree with!

Heck, most of the time HOAs are guilty of not enforcing the bylaws! Ours is really slacking, I see commercial vehicles parked in driveways, trash cans left out for days, vehicles with expired registrations/inspections in driveways, and even people parking on their lawns. All of which are against the bylaws, and this only on a cul-de-sac with a dozen homes on it!

Sorry, but the OP should have read the paperwork before buying the home. I understand people's financial situations change, but if he/she has been in arrears for their HOA dues for two years or more than they've waited far too long to do something about it. Most of the time you can make arrangements that will keep the issue from becoming this big, I worked collections for a while and know that usually the people that get in this deep are ones that knew about the problem for a long time but didn't do anything to try and correct it.

My advice would be to try and make arrangements for some kind of payments that might keep you from losing your home.

Good luck, I hope it turns out in your favor.

Cheers! M2

As I said, we don't have a HOA and I haven't seen any of the issues you mentioned except for my neighbor who has an old 60s chevelle with expired tags that I wish she would get rid of not because of the expired tags but because of all the people that stop and ask me about it because she is never home. I don't think that car has moved in over 20 years but it isn't an eyesore because it is under her carport, not a front lawn.

A neighborhood can function just fine without a HOA if people abide by the rules. If you need a kindergarten teacher (HOA) to remind you of the rules, then the problem is with the people.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM

431 posts, read 769,598 times
Quote:
As I said, we don't have a HOA and I haven't seen any of the issues you mentioned except for my neighbor who has an old 60s chevelle with expired tags that I wish she would get rid of not because of the expired tags but because of all the people that stop and ask me about it because she is never home. I don't think that car has moved in over 20 years but it isn't an eyesore because it is under her carport, not a front lawn.

A neighborhood can function just fine without a HOA if people abide by the rules. If you need a kindergarten teacher (HOA) to remind you of the rules, then the problem is with the people.
some of us have hoa because we dont like to go to the city parks or pools
we prefer to pool our money as a community and make an exclusive area just for us.
that's what i get out of my hoa, plus the extra security gates guards etc

Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 11,905,189 times
ummmm....am I the only one to notice that the OP hasn't been back since the initial post? If *I* were in the kind of situation they claim to be, I'd be back hourly to see if anyone had ideas/suggestions.....

Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
some of us have hoa because we dont like to go to the city parks or pools
we prefer to pool our money as a community and make an exclusive area just for us.
that's what i get out of my hoa, plus the extra security gates guards etc
theeddie: EXACTLY. You have a choice and I CHOSE to live in a neighborhood with an HOA for that very reason. I love the security our gate provides, the common areas, the pool and playground etc. etc. etc. and, for me, paying for those amenities are worth it.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I currently live in a neighborhood with no HOA and prefer it to be that way although the city is currently trying to make the neighorhood I live in a "local historic district". They have had a meeting already about this and another one is scheduled. After the second meeting, we have 90 days to vote yes or no on the issue. We need at least 51% of the homes voting no to squash the process. If there is no vote from a house within the proposed boundary then the vote is regarded as a yes which is wrong in my opinion. From what I have heard from most of my neighbors, it looks like it will pass unfortunately.

I don't like a HOA or the city telling me what color I can paint my house or if I am allowed to plant a tree or not. It is my property and one of the reasons I picked a house within a non-HOA mandated neighborhood. I hope the historic district designation does not pass either but only time will tell.

MattTex: If you don't like the rules, don't buy into the neighborhood, it's that simple. As far as your situation goes, get involved. Go door to door and talk to your neighbors to get them to vote. Some may actually want the historic designation because it may increase thier property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio