Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,837,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
theeddie: EXACTLY. You have a choice and I CHOSE to live in a neighborhood with an HOA for that very reason. I love the security our gate provides, the common areas, the pool and playground etc. etc. etc. and, for me, paying for those amenities are worth it.
With the exception of a few (and I do mean few) gated neighborhoods, anyone from UPS, Fed-Ex, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut can get into your gated neighborhood with the codes. Most of them will have them memorized as they need to drop in and out of there quite often.

A typical UPS man has over 150 stops in one busy day with OT, he does not have the time to sit and wait for someone to open the gates.

Unless you live in a neighborhood like the Dominion with fully staffed gaurds on the watch that can also accept your deliveries for you, the whole point of gated security is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,349,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
With the exception of a few (and I do mean few) gated neighborhoods, anyone from UPS, Fed-Ex, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut can get into your gated neighborhood with the codes. Most of them will have them memorized as they need to drop in and out of there quite often.

A typical UPS man has over 150 stops in one busy day with OT, he does not have the time to sit and wait for someone to open the gates.

Unless you live in a neighborhood like the Dominion with fully staffed gaurds on the watch that can also accept your deliveries for you, the whole point of gated security is moot.
I agree with you for the most part. There are folks who may give the gate code to others but I am not one of them. It may not be as secure as a live guard but it is better than nothing and does keep many folks out that do not belong here. Our neighbors are probably best source of security, aside from our own security system because everyone keeps an eye out for anything or anyone suspicious. Additionally, we have police patrolling on a very regular basis so with all of that, I feel pretty darned safe.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I agree with you for the most part. There are folks who may give the gate code to others but I am not one of them. It may not be as secure as a live guard but it is better than nothing and does keep many folks out that do not belong here. Our neighbors are probably best source of security, aside from our own security system because everyone keeps an eye out for anything or anyone suspicious. Additionally, we have police patrolling on a very regular basis so with all of that, I feel pretty darned safe.
Yes...neighbors are the best source of security. Espcially if you have a "chismosa" next door as in my case. Annoying at times, but at least I will know if anything unusual happens while I am not at home.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,349,380 times
Quote:
Yes...neighbors are the best source of security. Espcially if you have a "chismosa" next door as in my case. Annoying at times, but at least I will know if anything unusual happens while I am not at home.

All of our neighbors are very security sensitive thank goodness. I'd be surprised to find that very many give their gate code to very many people outside of close relatives and their maid services. Our gate is such that visitors can call us and we enter a code on our phones to open the gate so it's not as if it takes much effort to let folks in. For large get togethers, we can set up a temporary code that expires based upon the time our event ends. Again, easy stuff.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:26 PM

487 posts, read 1,122,155 times
As many people know who actually live in a deed restricted gated community . . . . many neighborhoods have totally eliminated codes from their call boxes. Everyone has to call the operator. It was an adjustment, but with some effort, it was easy to accomplishment. It certainly makes our neighborhood more secure. Far from a moot point.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Moderator cut: see comment

Anyhow, as mentioned earlier...there is really no better security than having your neighbors involved. Get to know your neighbors. That goes way beyond the somewhat false security of gates in front of the entrance of your neighborhood if you have them.

Your neighbor knows what car you drive, when you usually leave and arrive from work, any other cars that happen to be at your house that belong to friends or family.

Yes, gates help but they will never keep out non residents completely. If they want to get in bad enough, they will. At that point, you can only depend on your neighbors or guards if you have them to make sure they don't do any damage once they are in.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Forward me any/all negative DMs you receive please.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM

65 posts, read 116,872 times
Quote:

Anyhow, as mentioned earlier...there is really no better security than having your neighbors involved. Get to know your neighbors. That goes way beyond the somewhat false security of gates in front of the entrance of your neighborhood if you have them.

Your neighbor knows what car you drive, when you usually leave and arrive from work, any other cars that happen to be at your house that belong to friends or family.

Yes, gates help but they will never keep out non residents completely. If they want to get in bad enough, they will. At that point, you can only depend on your neighbors or guards if you have them to make sure they don't do any damage once they are in.

Having lived in a Gated Community and then moved to a Non-Gated Community...gates mean nothing, and all they do is add an expense to your community. Know your neighbors, and if your still concerned, Castle Law reigns in Texas, protect yourself and family with a legal firearm.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,759,411 times
I can't tell you how many tiimes I go to a gated community and just follow a car in. I've even pulled in front of the gates and a car entering or leaving will open the gate.

I have noticed that some of the Stone Oak ares that have cameras at the gate will send the "Stone Oak Police" after you if you run their gate.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I can't tell you how many tiimes I go to a gated community and just follow a car in. I've even pulled in front of the gates and a car entering or leaving will open the gate.

I have noticed that some of the Stone Oak ares that have cameras at the gate will send the "Stone Oak Police" after you if you run their gate.
What exactly is the "Stone Oak Police"?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfalco View Post
Having lived in a Gated Community and then moved to a Non-Gated Community...gates mean nothing, and all they do is add an expense to your community. Know your neighbors, and if your still concerned, Castle Law reigns in Texas, protect yourself and family with a legal firearm.
This has been my experience exactly. When I moved to SA, I lived in a gated community but now live in a non-gated one. Personally I see little difference in terms of security between the two types of communities mentioned above.

They do add expense because people seem to break them and they require repair whenever that does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio