Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 PM

322 posts, read 774,754 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Off-Topic We frequent this area for Hardberger Park and my daughter's school and the real issue, as folks have pointed out, is the traffic and the trash a new WalMart will cause.

Maybe we could email the Walmart Reality group and ask them to reconsider?

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-11-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM

170 posts, read 291,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There are other Walmarts that are not beside the freeway...the one on Bandera, the one on Austin Highway. How is it really that unusual?
Yeah, we should aspire to turn every part of San Antonio into Austin Highway.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 AM

41 posts, read 113,874 times
I used to live in Vista Del Norte...there are at least 20 apartment complexes in close proximity to the possible Walmart and I would in NO WAY believe that the majority of those residents are making more than 30,000 a year...many college students sharing rent, and young lower income families. I think you need to take a good look around next time you are in that part of town if you don't believe me...the "rich" to "poor" ratio is pretty even IMO for that area.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Some of the protesters seem to be unaware that the Wurzbach parkway is being built through here already. It's basically going to be like a freeway intersection then, isn't it?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM

0 posts, read 1,073 times
I don't have any love for Walmart, but I have to laugh when people who live near commercial property become outraged when they discover that the land will be used for (gasp!) commercial purposes. Now we need a buffer around a park? If Phil doesn't like the proposed use for the land, perhaps he can buy it and call it Voelcker park.

If Councilwoman Chan is acting on behalf of the majority of her constituents, I applaud her. But as a previous poster said, win or lose this could be expensive when the city attorneys decide they need outside help.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badalchemist View Post
Yeah, we should aspire to turn every part of San Antonio into Austin Highway.
And what is wrong with Austin Highway, upscale apartment complexes, new office development along with tearing down of dilapidated and obsolete structures. Not to mention it actually does serve an area where the truly rich or wealthy live, Terrell Hills.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM

170 posts, read 291,278 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Sure, Walmart creates lots of low-wage jobs for Walmart, but where do you suppose that money spent at Walmart comes from? Thin air? Walmart has a long history of destroying the surrounding local businesses and jobs, and you don't have to be "old, slow, simple minded, age, out of touch with reality, ultraconservative" to realize that. If not wanting another business-destroying Walmart is backwards, I don't think I want your brand of progress.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-12-2012 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM

431 posts, read 765,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
And what is wrong with Austin Highway, upscale apartment complexes, new office development along with tearing down of dilapidated and obsolete structures. Not to mention it actually does serve an area where the truly rich or wealthy live, Terrell Hills.
you live in fantasy land. i tell people this, walk down the road by yourself at 11pm or your daughter then tell me its safe.

just like all these downtown sack rider who think its a great place.

crime reports dont lie

Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
I've had no problem at any establishment along Austin highway at 11 pm at night. I've filled up at the Valero at that time at Austin highway and eisenhauer. I've gone shopping at Walmart at that time. Sorry the entire world isn't police reports, get out of your paranoid delusions.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Yes, Walmart is killing small business. Corporations love to ruin the economy. Let's go back to the good old days when a family spent 50% of it's income on groceries. Back before the evil corporations started selling lower priced goods.

Maybe we can get the government to help subsidize the mom and pop stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio