Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times

Advertisements

78247 here. We live Jones/Malts and Thousand Oaks area and enjoy our subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
Not only are there not as many trees, but things are very brown here compared to Houston. My parents live in Sugar Land, and while I know you are having a 'drought', I put it in quotes because it really doesn't compare to here.

I haven't moved directly from Houston to SA - I grew up in Houston, and then lived in College Station, East Texas, and Plano before landing here.

I agree with other's perceptions on the thread regarding general differences. SA feels way more small town like than Houston.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 AM

501 posts, read 949,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Not only are there not as many trees, but things are very brown here compared to Houston. My parents live in Sugar Land, and while I know you are having a 'drought', I put it in quotes because it really doesn't compare to here.
I don't understand the brown comment as of today. Yes, a year ago today, half a year ago, yes. But today? No way.

We're like three inches ahead of schedule in the rain department and I coudn't find a brown spot if I tried. lol

Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM

178 posts, read 379,534 times
I moved to San Antonio from Houston and moved right back. And the only real way to fully understand a city is to live there.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedra_p View Post
We're a family with 3 kids (soon to be 4) and we live in Friendswood, TX.

I just got a job at Rackspace, so we'll be moving to SA soon.

Has anyone moved to SA from Houston? Similarities? What's better and worse?

As far as neighborhoods, I was told that the north/northeast area inside 1604 is good. I'd like to find someplace with trees though...

Thanks for any input.
I work at Rackspace, so welcome to S.A. and to Rackspace!

I haven't lived in Houston, but my brother moved here from there. Our traffic is lighter than Houston, but you may find the drivers here to be slower than you are used to (it drove my brother nuts the first year).

Also, if you're a foodie, S.A. doesn't have the high-end restaurants that Houston does. But we do have some good food.

As for places to live, I'm in Stone Oak which is a nice area, but a bit of a commute to Rackspace (better than Houston commutes though).

I can turn you on to a Realtor or Apartment Locator, and answer any Rackspace questions you may have if you want to send me a private message.

Last edited by chud; 02-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: close parentheses

Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM

568 posts, read 962,223 times
Lucky you to be moving to SA. That is my hometown and I miss it terribly. I am working in Houston (a complete he!!ho!e) but live in a small town about 55 miles away. I lived in the Northern Hills subdivision and while the homes are older, the area is kept up. You can probably find a nice house to rent in your price range with no problem. Stay AWAY from Walzem Road, Eisenhauer Road and Rittiman Road areas. Anywhere from Walzem Road over to IH 10 East. I am surprised about Rackspace moving to the old Windsor Park Mall. Must have gotten a good deal on the property. That area of town used to be real nice...You also could check in the Windcrest area (on the other side of Walzem Rd ;-) -) or maybe Schertz/Cibolo. You will like SA...and they have alot of good Tex-Mex restaurants..Wish you well in your new endeavor..

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM

225 posts, read 597,458 times
Thanks!

After my interview I actually drove out Walzem to I-10 through some smaller streets... I see what you mean about that area.

I'm going to check out Northern Hills for sure, and probably also Schertz/Cibolo, and maybe Universal City.

p.s. Houston is different, I know some folks positively love it. Just depends on the person. I like the suburban area (for my kids) and the city has a lot to do for single folks. You might like it more if your commute was shorter.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Just throwing this out there - lots of Rackers live in Southtown, esp. those who've come from other large cities. Southtown is a collection of historic neighborhoods near downtown (~15 minute commute to Rackspace), and we have trees . I think the reloc people at Rackspace are now aware of the area (they weren't a couple of years ago), so you might consider it.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM

225 posts, read 597,458 times
Thanks Chaka. Can you give me an idea what area is considered "Southtown" (like street boundaries)?

Sounds expensive, no?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedra_p View Post
Thanks Chaka. Can you give me an idea what area is considered "Southtown" (like street boundaries)?

Sounds expensive, no?
Southtown = (roughly) King William, Lavaca, SoFlo neighborhoods just south of downtown. Borders are I-37 to the east, Durango (Cesar Chavez) to the north), Flores St to the West (and a bit beyond), Hwy-90 to the south.

The area is still undergoing revitalization, so there is a mix of properties. Completely restored will cost $$$$, fixer upper less so, also some new builds. Prices vary widely.

The area is heavy with art galleries and great places to eat and drink. Very walkable, very community oriented with families, singles, DINKs, older folks. A big mix. If that appeals, it's worth checking out. It seems most people who've moved here lately are Rackers and Ft Sam docs.

http://www.lavaca.net/ btw - note that the neighborhood boundaries and the historic district boundaries are slightly different. The Historic District boundaries affect things like what you can do to your property. The neighborhood association includes a much broader area.

http://kingwilliamculturalartsdistrict.com/

Last edited by Chaka; 02-17-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio