Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Krystal Burger was the same way when they opened. Everybody thought they were going to take SA by storm. And they did, for a while. After a while the lines died down. Then the lines just stopped forming. Now they're gone. How many fast food chains do you need? If I were to move somewhere far away from my home I would think I would be more homesick for the things that made my home special. Somehow I just can't see myself begging for Whataburger or Taco Cabana to come set up shop.
I went to Krystal burgers off 410 and ingram the first day it opened and it was so busy that they had brought in some kind of mobile unit that you could also order burgers from if you didn't want to go inside the store.

San Antonio is weird. Many big name establishments have come here and do really well at first but either downsize or end up closing completely shortly after. Same thing happened to Krispy Kreme. Some end up doing really well and expand.

I am not a huge whataburger fan but when I returned from a 16 day trip to Japan last year. the first thing I did was go to Whataburger and have a burger and it tasted so good! Having a burger in San Antonio was one of the things I was very homesick about. They did have hamburgers there but it just wasn't the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you moved to a place with no whataburgers, you might feel differently. I know of many ex-texans who live in calif who occasionally jones for a whataburger and/or good BBQ. The closest ones are in Phoenix Ariz area though. Taco Cabana changed the quality of their meats. Imo, it doesn't taste nearly as good as it used to. Whataburger is special. My family and I have eaten many whataburgers over the years.
I doubt it. I haven't had a Whataburger in about 3 years and I'm not Jonesing for one now. It's not because they are bad burgers it's because they are 'just a burger'. Just a fast food burger. I eat fast food burgers when I don't have time for a real meal or a real burger. I'd probably miss Bill Millers if I moved somewhere that didn't have them. But that's just me. Although I doubt that I'd start a petition drive or anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,073,566 times
there are 15 in-n-outs in the dallas area now....Del Taco is building its first location in houston. its just a matter of time before they get here. I think one of those chains will announce something this year for San Antonio.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM

258 posts, read 323,726 times
In & Out Burger in my opinion is better than Whataburger. The meat is never frozen, the ingredients are always fresh, the potatoes are prepared in front on the spot. The TASTE is to die for. Just try a french fry and you will know and experience the quality. Their menu is very simple and they haven't gotten crazy selling tacos, breakfast, etc like Whataburger is doing. Stay on track on what makes you successful. There will be a HUGE following when they open here in the SA area.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM

905 posts, read 1,630,532 times
Well, In & Out is an ok fastfood burger. It will come to S.A. and the craze will fade rather quickly. In my opinion, you simply can't beat Whataburger for the freshness, taste, and service; and Whataburger will be around for a great while.
My opinion, fastfood burger is Whataburger.
Burger joints/ restaurants is Spankys burger Joint! Hands down!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM

40 posts, read 108,633 times
We had In-n-out burgers/fries In the Dallas area and I was expecting the best burger and fries ever from what I heard from friends and it was just ok. Nothing to write home about.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

258 posts, read 323,726 times
In & Out Burger beats Whataburger for FRESHNESS & SERVICE...Walk into an IN & OUT and see their smiling faces! Whataburger is HIT or MISS...I've had BAD service at Whataburger many times...In & Out never a bad experience. They take hiring their SMILING faces serious! And freshness is beat for sure by In & Out...Just wait San Antonio burger lovers.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

487 posts, read 991,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_3_M_Angels View Post
We had In-n-out burgers/fries In the Dallas area and I was expecting the best burger and fries ever from what I heard from friends and it was just ok. Nothing to write home about.
I'm visiting the LA area and had my first In-N-Out yesterday. Mixed feelings: it was a good, tasty burger, but not better than say 5 guys. I would welcome them in SA, but only to have more options.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
In & Out Burger beats Whataburger for FRESHNESS & SERVICE...Walk into an IN & OUT and see their smiling faces! Whataburger is HIT or MISS...I've had BAD service at Whataburger many times...In & Out never a bad experience. They take hiring their SMILING faces serious! And freshness is beat for sure by In & Out...Just wait San Antonio burger lovers.
Just which Whataburgers are you going to that have BAD service? I've been to both and by far the Whataburger staff are better at going out to the tables to see if anything else is needed. I don't recall anything near that when I ate an in n outs in socal. There are a few things that I don't care for at In n Out:

1) the scarcity of In n OUts, making each In n Out a "ZOO" to find a table to sit at or wait in an extremely long drive-thru.

2) the ONLY one size of shake, which is too small to suit my appetite.

3) the holy roller Christian writings found on their cups, burger wrappings and french fry holders.

But, the staff is very well paid, motivated and are always smiling.
they don't hire illegals like most other fast food restaurants in socal. The kennebec fries are always fresh as you alluded to.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,123 times
I find it odd how taco bueno hasn't expanded past the only one here in town on 151. We have one out here in new braunfels. Taco bell doesn't hold a stick to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio