Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 AM

171 posts, read 311,370 times

Advertisements

Started last year cleaning up one of our bedrooms so our 1yr daughter can have her own room. After pulling up the carpet and sponges underneath (was put on their by the guy we are buying from). we notice black tar or glue with bits of old tile. Based on the design of the tiles looked like late seventies or early eighties.
Owner couldn't remember any real details on the work done on the room except that it was done around 5 yrs ago. My brother who works at lowes was told by one of his coworkers that asbestos might be in the glue if from the early eighties or before.
My questions is can anyone name a company or offer advice where to turn to about getting the materials tested for asbestos. We are on a budget and can't really afford anyone to come over and check. Thinking more along the lines of taking samples to someone. Wife is dead set on not allowing our baby in the room unless properly cleaned.
Any locations or advice would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Call and confirm, but I think San Antonio Testing can do it - they're down by the old Stockyards. 229-9920.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
There is zero asbestos in the glue, it was asphalt based, not asbestos based. The tile however is probably of the old vinyl/asbestos type. But, that's not a bad thing like you might read on the internet. The asbestos is encapsulated in the vinyl and poses no threat to you or yer baby....unless you try to grind it I'd scrap up the old tile with a broad putty knife and throw it away. Unfortunately there is no way to get the asphalt based adhesive off of the floor except to grind it off.....and trust me here, you won't want to do that. Besides being expensive to have done, it makes for the finest dust that will get everywhere. I assume you're considering replacing the carpet which is about the only option open.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM

88 posts, read 286,809 times
Go ahead and get it tested if you like. but I wouldn't be concerned about possible asbestos in the household that might be found in the black mastic, since it is fully encapsulated in the glue matrix and cannot become airborne,,, unless you mess with it to make it so. It's typically asbestos found in "friable" forms - that can be crushed in the hand, or release dust or airborne particles if drilled, sanded, or grinded - that raises potential health hazards.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 PM

88 posts, read 286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
There is zero asbestos in the glue, it was asphalt based, not asbestos based.

Unfortunately there is no way to get the asphalt based adhesive off of the floor except to grind it off.....and trust me here, you won't want to do that. Besides being expensive to have done, it makes for the finest dust that will get everywhere.
Must report that asbestos certainly was used in asphaltic floor tile mastic compound, in small percentages, to enhance the physical strength of the mastic and to make it easier to trowel.

Also, the widely accepted method of mastic removal by remediation professionals involves the use of highly effective solvents that dissolve the binder. It's messy and odorous, but with scrapers and lots of rags does a good job without risking airborne asbestos exposure.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio