Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I HONESTLY think that only those of us who grew up here are familiar with these opportunities. Many prefer Canyon Lake...but the distance throws others for a loop. Medina is accessable to working and communiting in the SA area for sure....Lake McQueeny has beautiful area...but flooding issues as well. Waterfront property is NOT for everyone...and you REALLY need to know what you are doing....but there ARE opportunities for those that are familiar to make a KILLING when the water levels are as low as they currently are.

So true Paka, so true. Only those who truly KNOW the lake and the market need to apply. Besides, we don't need no competition. LOL I have my eye on a couple of properties right now that are MAJORLY under valued that is almost scary. Jumping on them tomorrow in the early am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM

437 posts, read 902,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
With the lake level being down as much as it has been, I've noticed real estate prices have dropped significantly and I'm just wondering if now is the time to invest???
Looks like you already knew the answer to your own question. Happy investing!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
Looks like you already knew the answer to your own question. Happy investing!

Normally, you would be right sshurgot because I do know the area very well and my investments to this point have been good one's. However, with all of the NEW development that's been going on in the area, I wonder if buying something existing at the currently crazy low prices is such a good idea anymore out there. Maybe the reason for existing homes are not selling and prices dropping so crazy isn't necessarily due to the lake level but due to the expanded choices buyers have with the new construction. Hence, the reason for my initial question.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Good luck with that! All I know is that most of the years I've lived in the general area, people have been complaining about the lake being too low. No sign so far of recovering lake levels this year.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Good luck with that! All I know is that most of the years I've lived in the general area, people have been complaining about the lake being too low. No sign so far of recovering lake levels this year.
Here maybe some tears will help. It's so sad but we had a great couple of years that the lake was high.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post

You are probably right Lee which COULD be a reason to invest now when the lake is down and real estate prices are so crazy low. It's just a matter of determining if that is the REAL reason for the low prices. If it's because the new development out there is the cause that would give me pause on investing because there doesn't seem to be any end in sight on the development going on. Buying in a neighborhood that has direct access to the lake would probably be a good investment if the prices are right since there aren't really that many out their and public access is limited at best. I've seen several listings for properties in neighborhoods with lake access that appear very appealing on the surface. Some are fixer uppers while others, at a higher price point of course, are move in ready and very well maintained. HMMMM, pondering the options.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
me thinks that as long as SAWs is buying water from BMA, our beautiful lake will never really be the same. I don't really understand why BMA would sell water to SAWs to feed San Antonio's water problems. The water should be be for the Farmers and Ranchers as originally designed. I also feel that San Antonio would really like to annex Medina Lake and really be a problem. San Antonio has always been in Stage 1 or Stage 2 or Stage 3 of water conservation. Does anybody remember Applewhite with Henry Cisneros ? He wanted a 4 foot deep mud puddle so he could build more houses on the recharge zone.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
I found this on the Edwards Aquifer site http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/medina.html

The pace of construction was frenetic, mostly because the builders expected large floods in the summer of 1913 that would fill the reservoir. The floods never materialized, and after construction was complete in November 1912, it was 18 months before any significant rains occurred. The Lake was not filled to capacity for the first time until September 1919. Whether the designers overestimated the rainfall or the size of the watershed is not clear, but what is certain is the Medina River watershed has simply never been able to supply as much water as they envisioned. Wildly fluctuating levels have characterized Medina Reservoir throughout its entire history.

There are graphs; wildly fluctuating is an accurate description.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM

179 posts, read 247,139 times
back in late `78, the lake came up 41 ft. overnight.. a slow-moving mesocscale convestive complex -cluster of thundersyorms will do it.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM

179 posts, read 247,139 times
it was built to serve the ag/farmerss downstream, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio