Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,139 times

Advertisements

Reviving the thread.....because work is underway to revive the track!

San Antonio Speedway making one last comeback | Motorsports | a mySA.com blog

SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY | ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM

160 posts, read 525,777 times
That is AWESOME! Thanks for the info!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Thats great!

I worked with a guy back in the 80's that ran a late model car out there on saturday nights. Spent a lot of time helping him in the pits.....good times. We used to go to the top of the stands and also watch the drag races next door at Alamo Dragway....wonder if they plan on reviving it too? Give a good place for these "fast and furious" wannabees that run all over town to race without endangering others.

Really ticks me off about the thieves and vandals that ransacked the place. The flag pole stolen too? I can see some idiot selling it for scrap aluminum.
I hope they make it affordable for families like in the old days...even the snack bar was reasonable. San Antonio Raceway is a joke....when they have races, they cost a fortune for admission.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Thats great!

I worked with a guy back in the 80's that ran a late model car out there on saturday nights. Spent a lot of time helping him in the pits.....good times. We used to go to the top of the stands and also watch the drag races next door at Alamo Dragway....wonder if they plan on reviving it too?
My daughter and SIL are good friends with the man that owned/ran Alamo Dragway. My daughter has even raced at the Speedway with SIL and his dad. Here's her memoirs. Sorry for the quality, I photographed it framed behind glass.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
Default San Antonio speedway re-opening

San Antonio speedway is being made ready to host the "Octberfast" race October 18,19, and 20, 2012. Much work has been completed, but there is much more to go

[url=http://www.sa-speedway.com/]SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY | ,[/url]

Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
I worked there for several years as pit security during my career with the Sheriff's Office. I remember Ricci Ware, Frank Howell, Joe Horne Dickerson as owners, as well as Leroy Farmer, Frank Torres, and Terry Barden as track managers/race directors. I had a lot of fun and fights. It will be fun to sit in the stands and see things from a different perspective.

Last edited by gdelv123; 07-15-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,456 times
It was buiult by Don Bierscwale in 1977, then was owned by Joe Horne, then was owned by Frank Howell who made major improvements and brought Nascar sanction to the track. Health forced him out and the new promoter ran it in the ground. It was a sad situation for racing fans because it had a good turnout and large car count under Frank Howell. Fond memories from that era

Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbyarbrough View Post
It was buiult by Don Bierscwale in 1977, then was owned by Joe Horne, then was owned by Frank Howell who made major improvements and brought Nascar sanction to the track. Health forced him out and the new promoter ran it in the ground. It was a sad situation for racing fans because it had a good turnout and large car count under Frank Howell. Fond memories from that era
Well, I didn't know Don Bierschwale had anything to do with the track. Known of him for many many years. Once owned and operated the old "Don's" Ambulance service before the city created their own modulance service. He owned at least 2 or 3 funeral homes here in SA. I knew his son raced in Nascar and quite a few years back ran a shop at Crane and S.Flores behind one of his fathers funeral homes. Used to see his racing trailer and car a lot. I just read he passed on late last year, RIP.

Found this quote in a racing forum:

Quote:
Don was the driving force behind the building and operation of San Antonio Speedway back in the late 1970s and 1980s and is the father of Eddie Bierschwale, who competed successfully both locally and at the national level. Don also owned and oversaw NASCAR Cup cars driven by several Texas drivers including Jimmy Finger, Ed Sczech Clarance Lovell, Johnny Rutherford and AJ Foyt.
Joe Horne is a friend we know. I never attended a race there but had a few of my own in the area early 70's.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Its back! Events planed starting in April

SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY | ,

Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
The website shows only 4 events scheduled for the year. At 20 bucks a head they better have something there more than just Charger class. I'll miss the first event just to see what they bring but frankly, this doesn't sound great to me. For me and the ol' lady to sit outside in a field and watch cars go around for 3 hours or so at 40+ bucks, it's gonna have to be pretty good racing. And considering there hasn't been any in the area for a while, they'll have to bring racers from other cities. The top name folks in an area are not usually going to leave for a one night venue when they have their own turf to defend. This just sounds too half witted put together. But I guess we'll see what they bring to the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio