Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 PM

546 posts, read 3,100,356 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't believe a word Dunkin Brands says (and believe me, I know them quite well - they're crooks really), they ALWAYS up their numbers for publicity, say 75, you'll get maybe 4, tops. Just look at the Baskin Robbins' "comeback" they promised (BR is owned by Dunkin Brands btw), they can't get anyone to buy in, and most of the current BR franchisees are selling or shutting down -so much for a comeback. The problem being that DD has VERY low profit margins and a VERY high start-up cost - this is why they dissapeared from the SA landscape years ago. It's all hype. And whatever you do, do NOT buy into Dunkin Donuts (OR Baskin), you'll go broke (do the math on their profitabilty analysis, it's all mumbo-jumbo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,818,770 times
Anyone know why the Krispy Kreme on 410/Ingram closed awhile back?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,961,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Anyone know why the Krispy Kreme on 410/Ingram closed awhile back?

One reason might have been all the nasty traffic/construction problems at that intersection. (OK, a little further up by Ingram and 410.) But I avoid that area like the plague. Also, barbacoa is king of the weekends on this side of town. I would imagine you'd have to sell a *bleep*-load of donuts to make any money, and that looks like it was a pretty big store--huge electric bill and lots of labor. Not to mention that HEB already churns out a *bleep*-load of donuts every day, and people seem to like them just fine.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,811,944 times
I hope this is true. I used to love their donuts.

I can't stand Krispy Kreme's donut shaped sugar thingies. No, I don't consider them real donuts.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM

734 posts, read 3,010,347 times
A hot Krispy Kreme donut is like heaven. Mmmm.... But they are a totally different donut than Dunkin. People go to the two places for two different things. My kids love KK and it's fun to go watch them being made. They will even do school group or playgroup tours.

I think they lost their novelty though. Some in Cal and AZ closed up too. People say it's because we're getting healthier but I think that's a load of bull. I think they blew up too big too quick. They are still fun to go to and if there aren't so many of them, they will be a novelty again.

I have heard that DD has great coffee too. But it's another subjective thing. People sure take their coffee and donuts seriously!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,537,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I wouldn't believe a word Dunkin Brands says (and believe me, I know them quite well - they're crooks really), they ALWAYS up their numbers for publicity, say 75, you'll get maybe 4, tops. Just look at the Baskin Robbins' "comeback" they promised (BR is owned by Dunkin Brands btw), they can't get anyone to buy in, and most of the current BR franchisees are selling or shutting down -so much for a comeback. The problem being that DD has VERY low profit margins and a VERY high start-up cost - this is why they dissapeared from the SA landscape years ago. It's all hype. And whatever you do, do NOT buy into Dunkin Donuts (OR Baskin), you'll go broke (do the math on their profitabilty analysis, it's all mumbo-jumbo).
Yes, but they now have a different parent company (dunkin Brands, which was spun off of Pernod Ricard), their parent used to be Allied Domecq). Allied seemed to be quite conservative, and allowed both Starbucks and KK to spring up all over the place.

FWIW, those of us who grew up on the east coast will be welcoming them with open arms. They really sell more beverages than anything, but they do offer breakfast sandwiches, etc., too. I remember sitting at the counter (when they still had them) and drinking coffee with my dad...

The REAL question is, when I order an extra large coffee, REGULAR, will anyone know what I mean??????????????

Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 AM

370 posts, read 880,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
From one to 76.

MySA.com: Business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA090807.01D.Dunkin_Donuts.2b8d77c.html - broken link)
THANK goodness!!

I prefer Dunkin' Donuts over starbucks anyday!!!

Gen-missing them from Chicago

Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,920,444 times
Just noticed the KK shut down up here by my hotel in Minneapolis. Was open a few weeks ago. I read this thread yesterday and happened to look over at the KK location and it was closed up. Sign taken down and everything.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Krispy Kreme is evil and needs to be stopped. (No offense, it's just a fact.)

Old 09-09-2007, 11:48 AM

I have noticed some of the old River City donut shops (some of which replaced Dunkin) have recently been changing their image to more of a "coffee and donut" shop. I thought that was an interesting idea, so I can definitely see some potential for Dunkin' Donuts to do the same. The first half of their name refers to coffee, anyways.

75 shops seemed a little high. There's not even that many McDonalds in San Antonio. Maybe half. But if it's "in and around" that could many outlying towns possibly outside of Bexar county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio