Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 AM

10 posts, read 21,706 times

Advertisements

My husband got a new job and we wil be moving to San Antonio in the next couple of weeks, we are trying to find a house/apartment close to his office (I35N between 410 & 1604 zip code is 78233) any suggestions on where to start? Which are good neighborhoods close to that area? Good school districts?
Any recommendations on where to find a good realtor to help us find the best option?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 47,660 times
With an easy commute to the 410/35 area, I'd suggest 78247 zip code (North East school district). I think that further north, Schertz/Cibolo area is good too, but the traffic can be a little bit tricky in the mornings getting past 1604. I don't like the area directly around 410/35. The housing costs are low, but the areas is a little rundown and not as safe as others.

Happy house hunting!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 8,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasieNakamura View Post
With an easy commute to the 410/35 area, I'd suggest 78247 zip code (North East school district). I think that further north, Schertz/Cibolo area is good too, but the traffic can be a little bit tricky in the mornings getting past 1604. I don't like the area directly around 410/35. The housing costs are low, but the areas is a little rundown and not as safe as others.

Happy house hunting!
I agree that the 410/35 area is a tad bit unsafe. I work in that area (Austin HWY area) and am familiar with all the crap that goes on in that hood. I've lived in the 78233 zip code since 1999 and I would say that it's a decent area with good schools but would also consider areas like Selma, Schertz/Cibolo. The area of I-35N near the Forum Shopping Center is always backed up but, traffic is bad all over the city so it wouldn't stop me from considering looking further out of SA.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 PM

29 posts, read 90,453 times
Where are you moving from? That would give us a better idea of what you might like - coming from someone who has lived on a ton of states

Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
I would remember that if schools are a player, districts are important....young couple without school age kids, get something hip in the downtown area. Kids and schools a player, I think I would be sure to consider that.

Welcome to our wonderful city...not sure where you are coming here from, but more than sure you will LOVE living here!

With one of the previous posters that area is not really the best to conisder finding housing in....

Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
I'd recommend Northwoods and Oakwell Farms. 78247 is also a good area as mentioned above. My younger sister attended Northwoods, Serna, and Oak Grove Elementary. Oak Grove and Northwoods were good schools, but the kids at Serna were bad. I've never lived in the 78233 zip code, but shop over there all the time. There are some homeless people that love to hang around Thousand Oaks and Perrin Beitel (which is actually the borderline of 78247, 78217 and 78233); but, statistically, 78233 it is not a high crime zip code.

I think some people see certain kinds of people in a neighborhood and automatically assume it's a high crime area. That's not always the case. I've been living in an apartment complex that has a lot of working class and Section 8 families for 4 years and have never had any problems. My neighbor leaves his bikes outside and I jog at night without a gun and I'm female.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,531 times
I was thinking of relocating from california to San Antonio, I hear its a great family city, hot all year round, has good restaurants and lots to do, but is it safe there? I live in San Jose and I live in the area considered the ghetto but its not as bad as people make it, what advice would you have for new comers?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM

501 posts, read 949,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci28 View Post
I was thinking of relocating from california to San Antonio, I hear its a great family city, hot all year round, has good restaurants and lots to do, but is it safe there? I live in San Jose and I live in the area considered the ghetto but its not as bad as people make it, what advice would you have for new comers?
It's very safe. There is a high number of property crimes but there's common sense things one can do to prevent it.

Violent crime is relatively low for a place this size.

As for advice, live close to where you work to shorten commute time.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
It's very safe. There is a high number of property crimes but there's common sense things one can do to prevent it.
I agree, it's safe. Most of the murders and violent crimes that happen here are due to shady dealings or choosing to spend time with bad people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio