Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 AM

15 posts, read 33,672 times

Advertisements

Small world, I grew up in C-town and my parents still live there (who are you, we probably know each other, ha!) Please message me if you want some insight/comparisons...we are in Stone Oak (78258) and it has been fine. Schools were a major factor leading us to this area. I think you'll be happy wherever you end up! Why are you moving down here? Just curious.
Good luck with the move & please don't hesitate to get in touch if you want to chat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Clarkston,mi,

Yes, I know Clarkston ! I have lived all over Michigan's lower peninsula.
My last residence was in a Detroit suburb too.
That can be a nicer area, Clarkston, some houses not as nice. A rural feel and about thirty minutes from Flint. Very nice but winters are not as nice.
Get ready for culture and climate shock, particularly anticipate the heat.
San Antonio is a very beautiful town but you certainly won't find anything as picturesque as a house on a lake in Clarkston. I think it is much better here,
personally. Far better winters. However there is a drought on and water restrictions are only now being lifted.
Look for the Texas drawl in speech pattern , lots of people with a spanish accent too. North of town is very, very hilly, south of town is coastal plains, brush country, a totally different look for the most part.
Before your body gets acclimated take it easy out of doors and drink lots of water, I caution you.
There are many things to do here in Texas, lots of destinations in the Hill country and south. Almost everyday is a nice one year round if you can tolerate heat. Sometimes a "norther will blow in" (cold front) in the winter and it will get cold, sometimes in the twenties even, but it is rare. A more normal winter temp is a low of 45 degrees with a high in the sixties.
The heat can be scorching in the summer here, and watch your feet
and don't walk into and stand on a fire ant bed if you are in an out of doors setting at a park or something, an easy thing to do. My son did this when four years old and I counted 40 bites on him.
My sister lives off Loop 1604 Near the International Airport, Blanco Rd. There is only one major airport here, north of town. $400,000 will buy you far more than 2000 square feet of house here, that much money would buy you a custom built home here with some very nice amenties @ 2000 sq. ft.. I believe they paid the same price for 4000 square feet , the lot is narrow in width but long and is in a gated community.
This area is semi-arid not at all like MI. But it is a very clean town for one of its' size, not all grimy looking, like Detroit can be. Real estate property taxes are much higher here but there is no state income tax in Texas so averaged out the state tax rate is nearly the same.
However if you live outside the city limits of San Antonio, property tax rates are lower and could be cheaper.
Bienvenidos a San Antonio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrajaye View Post
Hi! We live in Clarkston. Are you familar with southeast lower Michigan? We are about 30 minutes north of Detroit.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-14-2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: repaired quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio