Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 PM

94 posts, read 654,463 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me some advice?

I would love to buy something with an acre or two, in a no tax zone. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to living outside the city limits besides the no tax benefit? I know the work commute would be longer, that's a given. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 02:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Maybe you know something I don't--it's highly likely!--but where is this "no-tax zone?" As far as I know, you have to pay either city or county taxes everywhere in Texas. You just save on the city taxes if you aren't in the city.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Maybe you know something I don't--it's highly likely!--but where is this "no-tax zone?" As far as I know, you have to pay either city or county taxes everywhere in Texas. You just save on the city taxes if you aren't in the city.
That's right no city tax

Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Default No City Taxes = No City Services

Hi Corri! I think that the biggest disadvantage to living in an area with no city taxes is that you also have no city services. So things like trash collection and fire protection are not provided by the city. You would need to hire Waste Management or another trash collection company and depend on a Volunteer Firefighters organization, as well as the County Sheriff instead of City Police. I've also always meant to check with an insurance agent to see if homeowners insurance is higher when that's the case. Definately city trash service is less expensive than a private company. Another thing that some folks noticed this Fourth of July is that fireworks are legal outside the city limits (as long as there isn't a burn ban in effect). Could be a good or bad thing, depending upon your perspective (we loved that part about living in the country, but it really drove some folks' little ones and pets nutty this year).

I'd like to see a really good comparison to see how much money would be saved in the long run, especially if it does increase homeowners insurance. Hmph, maybe I should do that.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:08 PM

That's great information Jules, thank you. Those are things to definitely take into serious consideration. I'm learning more everyday here, thanks again.

I've always dreamed of having a horse

Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Corri View Post
I've always dreamed of having a horse
Ha! Now you're talkin' serious money! When we lived in the country my daughter had a horse and we boarded a friends' horses (all 12 of them!). Now that was an education!

Once we moved back into town, we realized how expensive it really was to live in the country.

I forgot the pro's tho! Quiet! At least when you get out aways. And if you're really far out of town - the starry night sky!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
I live out of the city. Jules pointed out some great things. We have to pay for trash pick up.
You will probably have a private water well and septic tank unless you buy in a subdivision that has a water system, you will more than likely have to provide your own septic. You need to consider the cost of that when you are buying your land. I'm guessing that a well and septic are around $20K.

Your auto insurance will be cheaper, I don't know about home owners insurance.

I love getting home in the evenings and sitting on the deck and watching the animals go by. I can't see the street or any neighbors, its great.

If I think of anything else I will post up. You could always rent a place in the country and see if it is for you.
Good luck~~

Old 09-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Malone,
That's a really smart idea to rent first. I'm a nature/amimal lover, so the idea of sitting on a porch and watching animals go by is in the country sounds like heaven to me. I will have to do some serious thinking. Thanks to all who have responded. Aloha!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
You also lose the City Library, forget about curbside recycling. DSL internet is going to be out of the question probably.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:15 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
We live outside city limits......we are members of the San Antonio Library System, have curbside recycling and have RR from Time Warner.....we also have running water, LOL.

We love the deer, rabbits, roadrunners, etc. that we see all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio