Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,297,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
<<<is that a child and one or more spouses?? OH NNNOOOO, sorry for going there.....>>>

Is there a limit to the amount of spouses???? LOL

I only have one that I love and cherish dearly:-)
I'm not one, and I don't have one.....so that zeros me out! LOL

BTW - Pops...you're doing a great job. Anything is good. I only suggested the L&R because I knew it had a free room! My feelings won't be hurt if the group decides on another place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,639,408 times
I'd consider any venue that is indoors and not too smoky. Big plus for good mexican or BBQ. Outdoors early evening as I am fair skinned and still burn easily even after trying to build up some sort of base. Failing that I will be the guy in the big dorky sun hat. Huge plus for a dog friendly place (does that exist in SA?). Back in Portland we have quite a few places that cater to the doggy crowd. We can always kennel our furry child for a few hours for some adult get away time.

Squidlo

Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,823,513 times
I like the park and potluck idea. Brackenridge offers some diversion for the kiddies, and we're always telling folks what a great city this is. Why not hang out in one of our parks. I think they have pavillions, if it's not so sunny - or too sunny for that matter!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

45 posts, read 187,758 times
We live in Mahncke Park, so Brackenridge would be great for us. There is a pavilion next to the kid's playground near the entrance that comes off of Hildebrand into the park. If the weather stays cool, that may be a good deal, and you can bring your dogs on leashes. Of course, we will venture out to the hinter lands, too. All of the suggested places would be fine by us provided we can find the time.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,373,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerosincero View Post
We live in Mahncke Park, so Brackenridge would be great for us. There is a pavilion next to the kid's playground near the entrance that comes off of Hildebrand into the park. If the weather stays cool, that may be a good deal, and you can bring your dogs on leashes. Of course, we will venture out to the hinter lands, too. All of the suggested places would be fine by us provided we can find the time.
How WONDERFUL that would be...I know our Dalmation would LOVE to get to come along!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 PM

469 posts, read 2,335,206 times
I Googled Brackenridge and it showed it downtown-ish east of the 281 near the 35. Is that where you guys are talking about? Kinda far off from where we were talking about meeting up isn't it?
As for restaurants that are ok with dogs the only ones I know about are the 2 that we've already been to, They Flying Saucer and Bigz. Although I don't think Bigz is actually really ok with them, the guy I saw may have just snuck his puppy in.

As for the amount of people that show up we haven't actually been able to get more than 7 or 8 actual city forum people to come. Most of the head count is from us bringing our families.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:10 AM

734 posts, read 3,003,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
I Googled Brackenridge and it showed it downtown-ish east of the 281 near the 35. Is that where you guys are talking about? Kinda far off from where we were talking about meeting up isn't it?
As for restaurants that are ok with dogs the only ones I know about are the 2 that we've already been to, They Flying Saucer and Bigz. Although I don't think Bigz is actually really ok with them, the guy I saw may have just snuck his puppy in.

As for the amount of people that show up we haven't actually been able to get more than 7 or 8 actual city forum people to come. Most of the head count is from us bringing our families.
Brackenridge Park is near the Zoo. It's also near the Witte Museum.

I don't think we are going to find a restaurant that is centrally located, large enough for our group, family friendly, and dog friendly all wrapped up in on location! I think we just need to pick it and if it doesn't work for someone, then they can go to the next one!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM

469 posts, read 2,335,206 times
I agree. But I would also recommend not counting on a lot of people showing up. Many will respond but they won't show. We've done this twice before and like I said, no more than 7 or 8 plus family.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:04 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,756,802 times
Tomorrow (Sunday 9/16) I will post a poll with the most popular choices for our meetup.... or perhaps later today....
I think, judging by the most recent activity or lack thereof, that everyone who wanted a say-so in location, probably HAS said-so.

Also, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR TIME.... [[God knows why I volunteered to coordinate all this; I'm terrible at it!!!!!]] I want to consider the needs of those with kids but not tie up a crucial chunk of Saturday that working folk (which usually also includes 'those with kids') need in order to 'do life'......

Also, I can understand a lot of people showing interest and then fewer actually showing up. I think that is true almost absolutely anywhere, unless it's something that
1.) provides mega-entertainment and you've paid for a ticket...
2.) any other event that you've had to buy tickets for all in your party
at $8-10 or over...
3.) the promise of a rock-star/Spurs player/chief political candidate showing up
OR
4.) is your very own birthday and someone is going to come out of a cake...

Soooooooo.... what do we care if only a handful of folks show up in the end? We maybe ate a good sandwich or cup of chili and met a handful of splendid SA folks and have a few faces to go with the names....
I once planned a brunch/luncheon at Barney's Beanery in Los Angeles, CA, shortly before I made my exodus; I figured about 10 would respond; nearly 20 did, over 30 showed up.... Barney's got it taken care of, we had a good time, everyone went home happy & a short time later I headed for the big "D" up north up there......

So far, I only see two, possibly three clear leaders in the suggested venues, so it'll be a quick and easy vote.....

Old 09-15-2007, 03:36 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,373,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Tomorrow (Sunday 9/16) I will post a poll with the most popular choices for our meetup.... or perhaps later today....
I think, judging by the most recent activity or lack thereof, that everyone who wanted a say-so in location, probably HAS said-so.

Also, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR TIME.... [[God knows why I volunteered to coordinate all this; I'm terrible at it!!!!!]] I want to consider the needs of those with kids but not tie up a crucial chunk of Saturday that working folk (which usually also includes 'those with kids') need in order to 'do life'......

Also, I can understand a lot of people showing interest and then fewer actually showing up. I think that is true almost absolutely anywhere, unless it's something that
1.) provides mega-entertainment and you've paid for a ticket...
2.) any other event that you've had to buy tickets for all in your party
at $8-10 or over...
3.) the promise of a rock-star/Spurs player/chief political candidate showing up
OR
4.) is your very own birthday and someone is going to come out of a cake...

Soooooooo.... what do we care if only a handful of folks show up in the end? We maybe ate a good sandwich or cup of chili and met a handful of splendid SA folks and have a few faces to go with the names....
I once planned a brunch/luncheon at Barney's Beanery in Los Angeles, CA, shortly before I made my exodus; I figured about 10 would respond; nearly 20 did, over 30 showed up.... Barney's got it taken care of, we had a good time, everyone went home happy & a short time later I headed for the big "D" up north up there......

So far, I only see two, possibly three clear leaders in the suggested venues, so it'll be a quick and easy vote.....
The only thing that I would like to suggest is that MAYBE the weekend and afternoonish would provide MORE opportunity for some of the working/kiddo hauling folks. Lets face it, traffic across town can be enough to slow someone from thinking about going off right after work, knowing there is homework, responsibilites and school/work in the am. I think that if we plan it for Oct, maybe we could give everyone enough lead time they could plan for it...but that is just my 2 cents. Whenever, wherever, we plan on attending...we have certainly enjoyed to those that HAVE shown in the past, and expect this one to be great as well. Thanks for putting this together, you are doing GREAT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio