Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times

Advertisements

When I moved out to Cali, I thought to myself how liberal I thought it was
Going to be out there but my whole perspective changed. One poster made a lot of great points about just how liberal it is to be taxed and regulated on everything. After moving back I feel way more free to do what I please without the state regulating every single thing you're involved in.

In LA I believe they even recently bannned throwing a frisbee or football on the beach lol. Add that to not being able to drink alcohol, no camping or campfires. Yeah, so liberal lol they can keep it. Unless regulations change, I prob won't move back. Just a beautiful state for such deteriorating laws and economy.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I read on a car forum that gas in San Francisco is currently $4.51/gal right now.

Shows how well their liberal ideas are working there!

They can keep 'em!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
Isn't CA bankrupt already? To me liberals are just looking for a handout while doing as little as possible. TX is a state that prides itself on hard-work and self reliance. Austin is just enough liberalism for this state.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 AM

169 posts, read 428,799 times
this person has clearly never spent any time in the "disadvantaged inner city".

graffiti taggers need an artistic outreach? are you kidding? have you ever gone up to a gang tagging their hood at 3am and proposed this?

increase property taxes? you know Texas already has some of the highest property taxes in the nation right? much more the California. I am for marginal increases to balance ISD deficits, but to pour into welfares? no.

you know the corruption involved with minority/woman owned business, affirmative action, or union contracts are ridiculous, right? you know they are seriously helping bankrupt our government and public schools, right?

you do know that people take advantage of the "system", right????...it's not all flowers and sunshine.

you want "liberal" or "community" type things, I will gladly contribute my money and personal time to help educate the "underprivileged" about person finance, responsibility, work ethic, and returning contributions to society.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default San Antonio as Liberal,

Go to Corpus, ShoeFly, with this idea, stand on the beach, part the Waters of the Gulf and then re-enter the "liberalize San Antonio" here. Texas has the near perfect environment for economic sucess why now try to change it? Caterpillar, Apple computers, Toyota and other Global Companies are coming here because of this, plentiful cheap labor, a good climate for business and people- let them come, S.A. will thrive. Some things are best left unchanged. For the present.
One of the best things about Texas is- no state income taxes. This saves
everyone an enormous amount of money.
Without descending to the insult of certain out groups with radical social reform agendas one cannot elaborate about social changes which would be abhorrent ,to me and others here in Texas.
Most people here like things just as they are.
Even on entering this bit of conservative outlook, Some things are most efficiently done by the collective- Infrastructure, defense, education etc.
Neither the left nor the right is entirely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeFlyDontBodaMe View Post
Let's all pitch in and exchange ideas on how to make San Antonio a more liberal and open society. I would love to see San Antonio become more open to the liberal mentality and lifestyle.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeFlyDontBodaMe View Post
Property taxes need to be raised in the city and the additional monies need to be distributed into projects to support our inner city core which needs to be the focal point of our lifestyle.
No. WE do NOT need property taxes raised. I already pay 3 percent of my home's value every year. Thank you very much.

Thriving inner city neighborhoods such as Tobin Hill and Southtown were abandoned ghettos when I arrived six years ago. You have to understand that SA will never be SF, NYC,, DC or Boston. It's so spread out that the "inner core' really functions as a city of maybe 300,000 or so, at best. The rest of it functions as suburbs do in more densely populated cities. This is the reason for the ISDs. Sometimes I wonder if SA would have jest been better off with the city boundary being in line with the SAISD territory, and the NEISDs would have been better off as suburbs, with Stone Oak being the the Plano of SA.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 03-10-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,784 times
Yeah, I think that the original poster is probably a weird conservative trying to mimic what he thinks is "liberal" talk just to get a problem started. (Although a conservative OP that quotes Cursive lyrics as his handle is a bit strange, by any standard--but I'm not 100% sure on the reference.)

Here's my basic take on things: San Antonio is not Dallas or much of Texas. It traditionally votes Democratic, and our mayor is a rising star in politics, both at the state and national level. (That mayor is also pretty damn popular, no matter what anyone on here says.) This city is Latino-majority, and the evidence about Latino voting trends is pretty clear. There are plenty of "liberal" people here, although in a more blue collar and less intellectualist sense.

And, no matter what the few forum loud mouths say, Texas as a whole is becoming more and more purple, largely as the Latino population grows in proportion to everyone else. There's a good chance that the state as a whole will be voting majority Democratic in the next ten to twenty years. Once again, this isn't me saying this--look at the trends and research.

If you come San Antonio and expect Portland, you'll be disappointed. But you'll also be disappointed if you come and expect Dallas and Rush Limbaugh dittoheads. That might be true for the outskirts of the city on the north side, but it's not true for the vast majority of areas here.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default I'd say June of 48',

That your take on San Antonio politically is a pretty clear view of what is, and yes San Antonio it is very true, is different from the rest of Texas. I believe you. It is different from most any place.
San Antone has a more liberal voter base than the rest of Tx .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Yeah, I think that the original poster is probably a weird conservative trying to mimic what he thinks is "liberal" talk just to get a problem started. (Although a conservative OP that quotes Cursive lyrics as his handle is a bit strange, by any standard--but I'm not 100% sure on the reference.)

Here's my basic take on things: San Antonio is not Dallas or much of Texas. It traditionally votes Democratic, and our mayor is a rising star in politics, both at the state and national level. (That mayor is also pretty damn popular, no matter what anyone on here says.) This city is Latino-majority, and the evidence about Latino voting trends is pretty clear. There are plenty of "liberal" people here, although in a more blue collar and less intellectualist sense.

And, no matter what the few forum loud mouths say, Texas as a whole is becoming more and more purple, largely as the Latino population grows in proportion to everyone else. There's a good chance that the state as a whole will be voting majority Democratic in the next ten to twenty years. Once again, this isn't me saying this--look at the trends and research.

If you come San Antonio and expect Portland, you'll be disappointed. But you'll also be disappointed if you come and expect Dallas and Rush Limbaugh dittoheads. That might be true for the outskirts of the city on the north side, but it's not true for the vast majority of areas here.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yeah, just what we all need! More money taken away from folks who work for it to be given to folks who don't want to work for it!
FACT: Income inequality is the highest it's ever been. Yes, the highest EVER.
FACT: Over 45 million Americans are living in poverty. I'm sure they can afford to give more to the wealthy since you disagree with what you call "wealth redistribution."
FACT: The wealthy have seen their income grow and grow and grow exponentially for decades, while the middleclass and working poor are seeing the prices of everything going up, which in turns makes it a more difficult way of living in today's society.
FACT: "Trickle-down economics" doesn't work, we tried it for almost a decade recently (in the 1980s too), so where were the jobs created BY the wealthy? NOWHERE. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

Anyone who says or believes otherwise, doesn't know what the heck they are talking about. They take their talking points from those buffoons on that network over there.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And we all know how well their plans for the redistribution of wealth turned out!
Yes, we ALL know how great "redistribution of wealth" turned out under this president below! "Redistribution of wealth" money given TO HIGH EARNERS, that is!

You know it's kinda' funny how many "conservatives" who purport to be about God and religion surely OVERLOOK >>> GLUTTONY (giving more to the haves, and less to have-nots)! ...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio