Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM

164 posts, read 329,792 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a bike that will be used for work (5 miles one way) and school (3miles one way).

I am on a budget so nothing fancy. What do you think I should get. These looked decent and had good reviews on amazon.

4.5 stars after 7000 reviews.

Amazon.com: Takara Kabuto Single Speed Road Bike: Sports & Outdoors

or

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Bicycles-20...1782110&sr=8-1

or what else around that price range?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Or just go to a bike store and see what they have and recommend.
Bike World - San Antonio Texas - Bicycles From Trek, Cervelo, Bianchi, Gary Fisher, Colnago, Mirraco, and Redline
Ride Away Bicycle San Antonio TX Specialized-Giant-Electra-Bianchi-Haro-Colnago-Raleigh
CycleLogic, The World's Best Bike Shop! 12319 Wetmore Rd. San Antonio, TX 78247 - (210) 490-8251
There you can see, touch, sit on and feel the bicycles.
Then you can check online and compare prices.

Happy shopping!!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
2nd the bike shop recommendation. They know their stuff.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,469 times
When I used to ride, injured now so no more riding for a long time, I would use a Hardrock Sports Disc to tool around Ft. Bragg, to and from work,school, DFACs, outside post, anywhere I needed to go. It was very comfortable, able to tackle road, pavement, and trail. One important thing to keep in mind, I know for me, when I would ride my strictly road bike, ones in which you had to lean forward, if I was carrying my backpack filled with books, spare bike stuff, and randomness, it could change my center of gravity and made riding more uncomfortable. Riding in a somewhat upright position aleveated that problem immensely. But I agree with elnina, go to a bike shop. Talk to some there and they'll set you up better than we could. You actually get to see the product in real time and describe exactly what you're looking for.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Oh... make sure you buy a good lock for your bicycle. You need two.
You will need a primary lock for securing your frame and back wheel, and a secondary lock for securing the frame and front wheel. Both locks should also lock to a bike stand or other suitable piece of "street furniture". Any less than two locks and you become a much easier target.
The best lock to protect your bike. - Slate Magazine
Kryptonite is a pretty good one!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
I wouldn't necessarily blindly accept what a bike shop employee tries to sell you, I've seen too many cases where they are just trying to get the biggest sale possible out of a customer.

Shop around and get a better idea of what you are looking for, and don't deviate too far out of your price range. Bike shops will always try to get you to spend as much as they can, they are in the business of making money.

As for the bike itself, stay clear of pure road bikes like the first one you listed. They are not comfortable for commuting and will not do too well on the rough roads we have in this city. One good pothole and you will know what I mean! Stick with either a mountain bike or at least a city bike (like the second one pictured, although it appears to have 29" wheels instead of the usual 26"). You want more of an upright riding position as I suspect you'll be carrying a backpack or something similar. Don't get anything with overly fat or skinny tires, there are huge disadvantages to both (rolling resistance and weight for the former, fragility and handling over obstacles for the latter). Find a good compromise in between.

Also, you might want to consider a bike with suspension if your paths might be really rough. It does add weight but it improves the ride and handling.

Lastly, stay away from WalMart and other chain stores; they sell heavy, low-budget bikes from China that will not hold up well to constant use. Those are great bikes for the occasional recreational use, but for daily commuting I would invest in something a little more capable...

Cheers! M2

Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Unless your route to school and work has no hills at all, I would avoid both of those bikes. They're both single speed, which means that you can't shift to make the hills easier, which means more strain on your knees.

Have you looked at hybrid bikes? They've got the thinner tires for speed, but a slightly more upright riding position which is more comfortable for your body. They also usually have a suspension fork, nice for little bumps, and several different speeds to get you up the hills.

Amazon.com: Diamondback Edgewood LX Men's Sport Hybrid Bike (700c Wheels), Blue, Small/15-Inch: Sports & Outdoors My husband has a Diamondback bike, it's pretty well made and has the components you see on bike shop bikes. If you order on Amazon, you have to be able to put the bike together yourself, they don't come fully assembled.

Via 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States You can get Giant bikes at Ride Away, they make some that are not that expensive, but are really well made. The advantage to buying from a bike shop is that they will make sure that the frame is the right size for you, which is really important, especially if you're taller or shorter than average, and that they'll provide free tuneups on the bike for a while, which is also important because after about 50 miles on a new bike, the cables stretch and the brakes aren't as efficient as they should be.

You'll probably want to put a rack on your bike for your bag. In the summer, even riding 5 miles will get you sweaty enough that you'll need to change for work. If you'll be riding in the rain or after the rain, you'll need fenders too, otherwise you get a streak of dirt from your back tire all the way up your back and into your hair. You'll need a little air pump and spare tube for your commuting bag, just in case (and that's another place where buying a bike store bike is better, because the wheels are all quick-release so much easier to change a tire). You also need a flashing rear light and a headlight, if you'll be riding in the dark at all. And of course, you need a helmet too...no matter how good a rider you are, at some point there's going to be the rock you didn't see or the crack in the ground that swallows up your wheel, and you're going to take a fall.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM

164 posts, read 329,792 times
Luckily there aren't any major hills on my routes so single speed would be okay.

I am a backpack guy, so I will be wearing a backpack to carry my gear. I am leaning towards the second bike, just in other colors. All red is not my style.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Even little hills feel bigger on a bike Maybe you could borrow a friend's bike and try your route to see how it feels.

The problem with the backpack is that you'll sweat under it and get to work with your shirt soaked.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh... make sure you buy a good lock for your bicycle. You need two.
You will need a primary lock for securing your frame and back wheel, and a secondary lock for securing the frame and front wheel. Both locks should also lock to a bike stand or other suitable piece of "street furniture". Any less than two locks and you become a much easier target.
The best lock to protect your bike. - Slate Magazine
Kryptonite is a pretty good one!
Thanks for your post and wish it would let me rep. Did not know I needed two locks but with a quick release front wheel it makes sense. Off to buy more locks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio