Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 PM

21 posts, read 65,299 times

Advertisements

Hey, is the northeast by Randolf AFB a good area? There's a DR Horton community called Mirimar, anyone know if this area is safe?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 PM

226 posts, read 926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtosa View Post
Hey, is the northeast by Randolf AFB a good area? There's a DR Horton community called Mirimar, anyone know if this area is safe?
I called and got some info on the community. In the end, I decided to move out of Bexar county to Guadalupe County - lower taxes. Just a further up the road from Miramar you have Schertz, Selma, Cibolo. Schertz was recently ranked as one of the best small cities to live in the U.S.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
Quote:
In general (with a few exceptions) most of the neighborhoods are on the cheaper side and the long term investment potential isn't that great. Also - the east side of San Antonio has notoriously bad soil with lots of foundation problems over there. I would make sure your house isn't build on the sandy clay they have over there.

Another thing to remember is that eventually 1604 will be completed and communities like Mirimar will be sitting on a freeway. You say you are going up to Guadalupe county - that is fine - just make sure you don't buy in an area dominated by $150K houses - they will be run down just like IH35 inside 1604 - and be very depressing in a few years. If you have to go more modest - then look for cheaper neighborhood that is around more expensive neighborhoods.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
I called and got some info on the community. In the end, I decided to move out of Bexar county to Guadalupe County - lower taxes. Just a further up the road from Miramar you have Schertz, Selma, Cibolo. Schertz was recently ranked as one of the best small cities to live in the U.S.
I'm not sure if KB's neighborhood Spring Tree is in Bexar or Guadalupe county - I think Guadalupe - but it is one of the nicer neibhorhoods in that Schertz area. We looked around up there before deciding the average price was too low for us - but were horrified at the numerous Wilshire and Centex neighborghoods that were 80% covered in siding!?! I guarantee you that in the long term you are not going to want to live in or near a nearly 100% siding covered neighborhood. Even KB's neighborhood out there will be dragged down by the Centex siding boxes across the street. It is never good to be the nicest in the area long term.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,125 times
This still isnt answering your question but I am wondering what you think of the Links at Scenic Hills by KB? They are the new series of River Collection homes...no brick so that kind of discourages me, but they have some alright floor plans. What do you think?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 13,125 times
Quote:

That is the Judson School district correct? If it is Judson high, Wagner high or Roosevelt and if you have any teen-age or middle school children...I would be leary of the school district! The area is safe, its just the schools. Mirimar will not be the only subdivision using the schools in that area. You have Sunrise, North Hampton, Dover, Meadow Brook, Kirby...just to name a few so take that into consideration. I used to live in this area as a young teen and my Mother, Aunts, Uncles..still do live there so thats how I know.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:31 AM

More evidence that the overall economy may really begin to slow...is now the time to buy a house - especially if KB is unwilling to negotiate on price?

The buying binge is over - Oct. 16, 2007

Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 AM

And yet another article about the weakening housing market - this one from a Texas based builder...

D.R. Horton's fourth-quarter orders see big drop - Oct. 16, 2007 (broken link)

If anyone on this site works for KB - the reality is that some pricing flexibility will have to come into play at some point if you are to keep moving lots/houses.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM

And still yet another article...

Home builders' confidence hits record low in October - Oct. 16, 2007

The article states that the housing starts data will be out soon - I will post that data when I found out. KB San Antonio - Are you listening?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM

More bad news - this time the article specifically mentions Texas - I am beginning to wonder if now is a good time to build.

Real Estate: More price drops, more layoffs - Oct. 17, 2007

This quote is particularly scary:

"Duncan said that some markets will hold their own, but he singled out seven likely to be hit the hardest. They are: California, Texas, Arizona and Nevada, which drew a lot of investor speculation during the housing boom; and Ohio, Michigan and Illinois, where the economies have been hit hard by job loss."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio