Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 PM

45 posts, read 60,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amspenner View Post
That's right. Been there 1-1/2 years and I can't stand it. There is SO MUCH UNCHECKED GROWTH. They just keep on building houses about 5 feet apart, hundreds and hundreds of homes cover what at one time must have been a very pretty countryside. With all the building, you'd think they would put in wider roads with more lanes. Nope. Same old roads that have been there before hand. Ridiculous. The traffic is bad, and so are the drivers. About 2 in 10 cars use turn signals (on a good day) and this includes sheriffs and policemen. You practically have to donate a kidney to get a driver's license. Also ridiculous. My kids first year at their schools, they were reprimanded for not saying "ma'am " and "sir." I am a female with a low voice and since everybody says "ma'am" and "sir," I am always called "sir" over the phone. Corporeal punishment is still allowed in 4 of the city's school districts. Football is HUGE and everything else suffers greatly before football budgets are touched. (My son's H.S. has AstroTurf and a JUMBOTRON!" No, I am not kidding.) Road kill is everywhere because of off the "Texas Edition" pick up trucks on the roads with the front metal thingie that obliterates anything in their paths. (And remember, no turn signals.) Recycling is NOT mandated. Yes, I'm serious. Lots of litter everywhere. Very little is done about water conservation, and we've run out of water three times already because we have a well and people water their lawns. Mega churches and bible thumpers everywhere, oh and have I mentioned these churches are usually a stone's throw from a Hooters or a Gentlemen's Club? Stupid laws. Ignorant people. I am counting the days until I can get the &$@! out of there.
This post is just... uh.

I'd advise the poster spend their time on better things and give it a better effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Another thing I hate about San Antonio is the pervasive culture of conformity, bullying, and harassment. In the 12 cities I've lived in my entire life, this city is the worst I've ever lived and worked in, and hopefully I am going to be out of here after six more months now that I passed my licensing exams.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Another thing I hate about San Antonio is the pervasive culture of conformity, bullying, and harassment.
I hear you there! Not to mention all the negative, judgmental folks that want to whine because everyone doesn't do things the way THEY think they should be done!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:50 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Another thing I hate about San Antonio is the pervasive culture of conformity, bullying, and harassment. In the 12 cities I've lived in my entire life, this city is the worst I've ever lived and worked in, and hopefully I am going to be out of here after six more months now that I passed my licensing exams.
Could you give examples of the culture of conformity, bullying, and harassment? I've lived and traveled around the U.S. and world. Not seeing your observation about San Antonio at all. Is it your work/study environment?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
I hate that all the new comers come to city data and complain then they get on the freeway and create traffic jams on my way to work!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Texas,a

The sociological climate and for that matter the geograhical too, is only for some people and
not for others. Some will get a heat rash here and only see bad things about our city and up with a heat rash in the head too.
No wimps allowed.You are right poster Txex. Some dwell in the negative here, must post increasingly more and more negative posting in order to keep up the conversation, trying out their own effect on others. They must try this effort on all others; of how bad things are. They seek a a nirvana, believing there must be a perfect place somewhere? Never mind trying to make the recognize a great place to reside, they will peer at the darker side of life and focus on it. Talk about it, dwell in it. They will sap energy from a person.
Love to talk about the distasteful as though they could some rid themselves of it because they can recognize it and point it out for all.
Nothing is perfect, no location is perfect but these individuals must concentrate their efforts upon how horrible it all is. How bad everything is./ negativity.
There will be some dog doo on the sidewalk everywhere....some people just love to whine. It is their sole purpose in life and the only way any attention will be drawn to themelves. They are uninteresting without
negativity being the focus of themselves.
"Why were you foolish enough to follow me all the way out into the desert? It is a way which feeds off negative energy, and on the darker side of life. Some folks thrive on this and will focus on this figurative dog doo and bring it to the attention of all, "see how bad it is here ?" Never mind the positive side of things that are here. It is a matter of being upbeat and uplifting staying ubeat and in a good mindset .
Directly- these people's character, like the invisible opposite poles of magnetism repels average people. It is distasteful to even talk to persons of this character because they feed of the negative energy of others. This effect becomes the opposite of being personable. They derive satisfaction from their energy sapping efforts.
These are the " Black Holes " , figuratively speaking, of humanity. Some are worse than others, but like Stephen Hawking says- "all light, energy and mass is sucked in by these black holes and no light escapes. There is a more common name for these human "blackholes" that is not allowed .
It is the prerogrative of fools to blurt out truths that do not need to be spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckitralph View Post
This post is just... uh.

I'd advise the poster spend their time on better things and give it a better effort.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,558 times
Some people don't like to hear the truth. I, too have lived in several cities in different states and Antonio is by far the worst for all the reasons I have already listed. It is difficult to find the positive in a place where it's every man for themselves. I am still looking though. (I didn't even mention the benzene levels from the Eagle Ford Shale.)

And since when do truths not need to be spoken?

Foolish inconsistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Emerson

Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,558 times
No, I don't live in those "hoods." But unfortunately, I have to deal with their traffic. And just because you don't know of any districts that still allow corporeal punishment doesn't mean they don't exist. I WISH I lived in Austin!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM

1,033 posts, read 875,808 times
This city could be worse... It could be better. Same as with any other place.

If you thrive for negativity, you're going to hate San Antonio. If you can find the silver lining, you're going to find much of this city charming and livable.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amspenner View Post
No, I don't live in those "hoods." But unfortunately, I have to deal with their traffic. And just because you don't know of any districts that still allow corporeal punishment doesn't mean they don't exist. I WISH I lived in Austin!
Why don't you name 1 school district?

I'll do it for you so you don't get it wrong.

Quote:
In Bexar County, paddling is allowed at Harlandale, South San, Southside, Southwest and East Central independent school districts, though it no longer occurs in the latter two, officials said. All require records to be kept of the punishment but none could readily say when it last occurred.
School district digs in after paddling uproar - San Antonio Express-News

Fyi you might want to aviod the following states...

Quote:
While 31 states have now banned corporal punishment, these states still allow it: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming.
19 states still allow corporal punishment in school - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio