Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 01:31 PM

275 posts, read 185,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Doesn't help much when folks don't realize that I-10 runs East/West.......
who doesn't? just the interstate number tells you so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 01:41 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
who doesn't? just the interstate number tells you so...
An earlier poster lamenting about how hard it was to get onto I-10 South......

Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
An earlier poster lamenting about how hard it was to get onto I-10 South......
to be fair the sign shows 87 south...

Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Damn! so it could be worst? Haven't they thought about just building a regular interchange with no yield signs? That area is not rural, it is a major problem.

Before SA, I lived in Chicagoland and in Atlanta metro, both times in affluent suburbs, upper middle class, good schools, high taxes, you get the picture, and still I never saw so many MB, not even when everybody was extracting equity from their homes. I saw Infinitys, Teslas, Maserati (though in this case because I lived close to a dealer at the time), sport jaguars, Hummers....but MB were not as prominent to get noticed. Is it due to the German area of influence in the Hill country?

I have to add that SA sucks for finding a job. In Chicago I had recruiters and HR calling me all the time to lure me to new jobs, even when the job market tanked, I was getting one call a month, I am not anything extraordinary just a professional with masters in accounting and management experience....but for the life of me I cannot get anything here, I even have O&G experience, we might have to leave soon, though my husband is enjoying his job.
San Antonio is growing very fast and a fully directional interchange was not needed until the last 10 years, but other areas were worst and got the tax dollars first. They will be expanding 1604 to an 8 lane freeway and completing a fully directional interchange.

The San Antonio Area Freeway System - Loop 1604 Expansion and Tollway Project

Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I work nights, and there isn't jack to do on my nights off.
There is a growing number to hip restaurants/bars that are staying open late.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
I have to add that SA sucks for finding a job. In Chicago I had recruiters and HR calling me all the time to lure me to new jobs, even when the job market tanked, I was getting one call a month, I am not anything extraordinary just a professional with masters in accounting and management experience....but for the life of me I cannot get anything here, I even have O&G experience, we might have to leave soon, though my husband is enjoying his job.
Well, I sorry to hear that you are now discovering this. In SA, it is all about who you know unfortunately. In the bigger metro cities, it is also about who you know but at least they qualify you by what you know. Here, it is all about who you know and you have to be on the inner circles but it is tough to crack because the “insiders” don’t want any “outsiders” nor do they care what qualifications you have.

Speaking of jobs and the market here, you may want to check out this recent post: //www.city-data.com/forum/showt...errerid=562997

Last edited by Quattro72; 10-26-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Well, I sorry to hear that you are now discovering this. In SA, it is all about who you know unfortunately. In the bigger metro cities, it is also about who you know but at least they qualify you by what you know. Here, it is all about who you know and you have to be on the inner circles but it is tough to crack because the “insiders” don’t want any “outsiders” nor do they care what qualifications you have.
Yeah, I am starting to realize it, hence the "we might be leaving soon". funny enough my husband didn't know anyone and he got a job, he might be the exception to the rule. In Chicago you got a good reputation working in a few companies and you were called, offered jobs, not like crazy but always possible to change if needed and find good people to work with. I miss my career.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 PM

785 posts, read 954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtl_10 View Post
I happen to stumble across this thread. I have lived San Antonio since January. I came from Austin which I lived 6 months.

Let me preface this that I am not the most social able person on the planet. I have made an effort to be more social over the years.

I play soccer, kickball, tennis, and have taken Japanese class and look for other things. I feel that I've put good effort to find friends to hang out. I'very had some success but not much.

I concluded in August that I want to go back to Austin. I only left because I lost my job. San Antonio just isn't for me. The people here are not very talkative. All attempts to start a conversation tends to be one sided. I tried to get people together but to no avail. I tend to feel that I'm left out rather than apart of the group. I know I'm shy but I will make an effort and not get reciprocated. I ask people what they do for fun and people very rarely tell me anything. It's strange. In Austin I had a neighbor walk up to me to start a conversation. Here I can barely get my neighbors to talk. I knock on the door for help and nobody answers. I am depressed and feel lonely. I only met a couple people I enjoy but hanging out with them is somewhat pedestrian. I can tell from other transplants that this place is not for me.

I've applied for jobs in Austin and hope to find one by next year.

I know some San Antonians don't like hearing it and that's understandable. People come to different towns for various reasons. Don't get angry please. I know people who hate Austin. Not every town is meant for everyone. Just go find the place that makes you happy.

Also I'm 31 and single.
I've felt the 'feeling invisible' thing here in San Antonio and it's frustrating. I'm 32 and single. I've moved 9-10 times and felt adjusted to most places except here.

People can be very flaky in general and I think it's that. I go to the gym and train martial arts so I have my outlets but of course I've had to adjust.

With that said, there are a lot of Millennials moving here so I see it changing. I've lived here for 4 years now but I may move. I know the biggest hurdle here is that if you're single your circles are limited. When I was with my ex I was doing something with her every weekend. Not being single again it seems that there's not many outlets for me for single people.

I've had another friend that is a transplant that lives here that feels like he and his family don't fit in so don't let anyone in this thread say "you're" the problem. It's a matter of fit and I know some people may not be comfortable in other places as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
If you couldn't make friends in a city that is very commonly described as one of the friendliest places in the USA then I think that is a problem with you and not the city.
Being friendly is not the same as making friends. People can be friendly to you and feign kindness and want nothing to do with you. Why do you guys blame the poster and not the fact that it could be a wrong fit? I have only seen Texans have such smugness about their residency.

Also another gripe I have about SA and it will be unpopular is that there is lack of diversity outside the Mexican culture here. Even with the food, so if you don't like Mexican or TexMex stuff you're out of place a bit.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
There is a growing number to hip restaurants/bars that are staying open late.
I'm not really into "hip," but for the benefit of the forum, please list some.

The only places I can think of that are open 24 hours are Jim's, Denny's, IHOP, Chachos, Mi Tierra, Lulu's, and the truckstop restaurants.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I'm not really into "hip," but for the benefit of the forum, please list some.

The only places I can think of that are open 24 hours are Jim's, Denny's, IHOP, Chachos, Mi Tierra, Lulu's, and the truckstop restaurants.
Luthers till 3AM

MAx's Wine dive is till 2AM Thur-Sunday

Zinc 2AM

Hot Joy 2AM

Southerleigh Fine Food 1AM

Zocca 24 Hours

Las Salsas 24 Hours

Mary Ann's Pig Stand 24 Hours

The Original Mexican Restaurant 24 Hours

Not a lot of options but you have different food choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio