Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I think you missed the point.

If your only experience was one small area of the city (or even a large area that was all the same but dramatically different from another part of the city), your view is limited. So, I'm not saying a suburb dwellers' views are irrelevant, only that they're limited to one section of town which doesn't reflect the whole. Comparing living urban to living in Alamo Ranch is comparing apples to oranges. Nothing wrong with the outer burbs if that's what you like, but most of the complaints I hear, usually from younger people, reflect that.

If I based my opinion of SA on the outer burb where I lived, I'd have fully agreed, it's lousy. Fortunately, I realized there were other, to me more interesting parts of the city, discovered those, moved there, and now enjoy the city.
I get that but if everyone discovered these spots like you did and thought THOSE were the "real" San Antone, these spots would blow up with everyone moving in . Hence, people live wherever they live and that is the city for them. They judge it by that experience alone and make statements based on that. At some point everyone in the country discovered Austin and moved into it. Now it is completely different than it was 5, 10, 15, 20, 25.... years ago. Same would go for the "real SA neighborhood" you discovered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM

55 posts, read 89,396 times
I like Schertz! I thought I wanted to live in Stone Oak but I moved to Schertz randomly and I really enjoy it so far. The HEB plus is huge. It's like 2x the size of my old Costco, lol. (Shoot, I wonder how big the Costcos are in Texas!) I was able to drive from Schertz to the Rim in 35 minutes, so I guess that means I like the 70 mph speed limits. I also like that people are willing to admit how ugly Texas is, because it really is ugly as crap, but it's also wonderful and amazing somehow. Must be the people?? I like Texas pride and I think it's cute that like 75% of the people here drive lifted up trucks. I imagine the cops pull over all the sedans and tell them to get their asses to the Ford dealership ASAP if they want to avoid a ticket. Lol.

I also got goosebumps at the Alamo so I might be transforming into a Texan.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:36 PM

102 posts, read 128,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids7states View Post
I like Schertz! I thought I wanted to live in Stone Oak but I moved to Schertz randomly and I really enjoy it so far. The HEB plus is huge. It's like 2x the size of my old Costco, lol. (Shoot, I wonder how big the Costcos are in Texas!) I was able to drive from Schertz to the Rim in 35 minutes, so I guess that means I like the 70 mph speed limits. I also like that people are willing to admit how ugly Texas is, because it really is ugly as crap, but it's also wonderful and amazing somehow. Must be the people?? I like Texas pride and I think it's cute that like 75% of the people here drive lifted up trucks. I imagine the cops pull over all the sedans and tell them to get their asses to the Ford dealership ASAP if they want to avoid a ticket. Lol.

I also got goosebumps at the Alamo so I might be transforming into a Texan.
Are you high?

Old 12-14-2015, 07:16 AM

55 posts, read 89,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
Are you high?
Because I posted things I personally like?

Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Spurs, Riverwalk ,Randolph Brooks Area, Alamo and attractions, Tex-Mex, beautiful women and not as fast pace as Houston which is good ...That's what I like about SA.

Only thing I don't like in SA is the BBQ...yuck and no R&B stations or grown and sexy bars or lounges.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
I've lived in San Antonio for 28 years. I like it mostly because it's home! I was taken aback when one of my sons visited me recently from California and out of the blue he said I don't like San Antonio! I didn't say a thing. But I thought to
myself I don't like where he lives either. Border city in California, dirty, no jobs etc. But it's home to him. Personally I've lived in quite a few major metropolitan areas and this is one of the best! The weather is great and the cost of living is low!

Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default 1.7 million,

Curiosity was stoked. This figure is the number of tourists that come here to San Antonio annually, to visit The Riverwalk from countries other than Mexico so states the San Antonio visitors bureau on its' website.
1.7 million.
I would say this number of foreign visitors make this city an international destination. Easily. That is a lot of people. We must, be world famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Hmm it seems there is a reading comprehension issue, no one ever said that San Antonio is the top tourist destination in the US. By your own admission, 26 million visitors come to San Antonio a year and it's disingenuous to believe that they all come from the southern United States or Mexico. I think what San Antonio locals like the least is know it all foreigners who think they have something to prove. That actually goes for most Americans.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:26 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Not enough rain or Black people (read: culture). You get plenty of both in Houston but without the Romantic architecture or the rugged terrain.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:15 PM

404 posts, read 366,535 times
Ok, so two things before I write what I write, 1. I am from Texas but not SA, so I guess I could be considered a "transplant" and 2. I have some opinions that may not be popular with others but idc, I am going to say what I say, like it or not, here it comes.

Culture: Ok, lets just not BS here, If you are wah wahing about not enough "black people" , or "white people" or purple people or whatever, then the door is that way ----> I guess common sense is just not that common, its borderline racist, after all, you don't see me moving to detroit and New Orleans and going oh my god..theres nothing but black people here wah wah wah. I came from a oil town with nothing but whites and blacks that HATED EACH OTHER. If i had my way, i would have given both sides guns so they could have their little civil war and keep me out of it. I moved to be AWAY from this crap, not be further in it. So if you don't like SA, that's fine, your opinion, but for those that kept putting "no culture" which is also NOT TRUE, its not that there is no culture, its just not YOUR CULTURE, lets get it straight. Again, if you don't like it, you are more than happy to leave and go.

People: This is hit or miss, everyone is nice and friendly, however, I noticed that 9/10 when I have a problem or an issue from someone, they are not from SA nor are they from Texas. Meetup.com is the worse. I tried to use that to make friends and all the people there want to do is party just on the north side of town(again, where all the white people are) and they are very close minded. If you dont think or act or walk or talk like them, then you are out. I was actually hoping to meet native people from SA but everyone that I meet is always from somewhere way up north. I wish there was a way to meet actual native people and not transplants that think California is the best state(its not) or they come here and are not open minded. I also keep meeting a bunch of introverts that try to act like extroverts, another bad sign. I had a girl once tell me at a party that she DOESNT LIKE PEOPLE. Again, we are at a party...why are you here then? Stupid stuff like that happens all the time.

Regular Dating: Omg, again, be very careful here guys. You can here whatever bad story from women that you want, but I have met some women that were very much losers in their own right. Women that had no cars, women that had no jobs, women that were 40 and still living had home. One even went out on a date with me and then after dinner proceeds to tell me that she has an STD!!! I could literally write a book on the issues that I have had here with women, who again, have made bad dating choices, there are a lot, if you date here guys, be very very careful. You have been warned.

Interracial Dating: Really disappointed in the fact that this is an also an issue. Im not a big fan of hispanics dating outside of our culture, I know I know..some people will have an issue with this, but allow me to explain. I actually met someone from a middle eastern country and a hispanic girl that were going out. This guy was a total douche and kept disrespecting the girls, saying everything from how good was her ****y to the fact that he got a good deal with his current gf the ****y was great and that he had 12 wives. Im not kidding. Were the girls mad? Of course they were, but it just seems like every time I talk to a guy, its always some stereotypical reason as to why they want to date a hispanic woman. In other words, "I heard they clean well" "I hear that they make good housewives" "They are fiesty" etc. These are the same people that will then go on to complain about how there is "no culture" here. It has gotten so bad, that I have even had some hispanic women tell me that they only date white or black guys as they bought into this BS because they made poor dating choices.

Overall: Is there good here though? Of course there is, there are some nice, friendly people. I have done everything to try to meet them. The thing is that everyone has their little bubble and they are not open to outsiders. They are friendly ...to a point. People will be friendly but the minute that I tell them that I am not from here, their behavior seems to change. It almost has me wondering if this is a good idea, but I am going to keep trying, after all, you never know who you might meet..this is probably the worse that it gets. There are lot of things to do here, and I like the weather. I do wish there were better jobs though, but I really want to make this work and will keep trying, I have faith that this year will be better than the last. So just my 2 cents, and feel welcome to agree to disagree, but this has been my experience here. YMMV.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:28 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Mountain Cedar is my #1 complaint about SA...and the traffic would be another issue, but traffic is to be expected to be difficult in ANY large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio