Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 02:57 AM

48 posts, read 87,731 times

Advertisements

What's the process for requesting the city reinstall a yield sign? I thought it was a great idea when some of the signs around town came down, but the one at the Babcock exit on 1604 really needs to go back up. There isn't enough distance between the off ramp and the intersection making it impossible to merge right when there is the slightest bit of traffic. Today I was forced to turn left because the middle lane was completely blocked, and it was only 2:30! I know trying to yield is a pain because the ramp is so high that's it hard to see people exiting, so I guess its just a matter of the lesser of 2 evils. The entire intersection on both sides is just a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
When I needed to complain about traffic lights being shut off at an intersection that gets busy in the morning, I first called 311 three times in one year to complain and nothing was ever done even after that intersection had a 4-car accident. Fellow CD-ers suggested that I contact the city council. The intersection is right on the boundary line of district 3 and 4, so I contacted both council members. I never got a response. I hope you have better luck. I just take another way home in order to avoid that intersection because I've almost been hit a few times by people not wanting to stop at the stop sign.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Normally, you would call 311 if the sign is in COSA limits. In the case of the Babcock exit off 1604, that one is almost certainly the responsibility of TxDOT, as is most of the signage along highways or their access roads inside City limits. Same goes for traffic signals at highway intersections.

About the only signs along highway access roads that are maintained by the City are the Street Name Signs at intersecting streets (ones with the BLUE background), and I've noticed in many cases, those streets don't have the name signs to begin with. I guess you could call 311 in those cases, to request signs. Why shouldn't those streets be marked?

If the Yield had been knocked down, TxDOT should replace it. But I've noticed several other instances where Yield signs along freeway access roads have been removed, but those tend to be situations where the exits are positioned well back from the intersection, and the exit ramp forms a new lane on the access road. The exiting traffic then has to merge with the access road traffic, if they need to move over to another lane.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Ah, yes. TxDOT for the highways. This is where you can contact them by email or you can call them.

Contact Us (http://www.txdot.gov/apps/externalcraftform/externalcomplaintform.aspx - broken link)

Contact Us and Compact with Texans

Unfortunately, my issue is on a city road.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM

48 posts, read 87,731 times
I called txdot and they said they have plans to study the intersection. Hopefully they'll decide to put the yield sign back in, even though people will probably ignore it. Once you give them the freedom, there's no taking it back.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times
We need more of those signs. It's unfortunate that many Folks ignore them. There nothing like driving down 151 , 90 , 281 in the morning (M-F) having the feeling that the right side of your vehicle has the potential to become two toned. I like the color of my pickup and I don't need someone who has no idea what Yield means to paint my vehicle with theirs.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 PM

136 posts, read 449,110 times
The yield sign needs to be reinstalled on the access road at the Kyle Seale / Hausman exit heading west on Loop 1604. I need to turn right on Kyle Seale to drive home. Tonight, there was bumper to bumper traffic in both access road lanes to the light making it impossible to get over to the right turning lane after exiting Loop 1604. Luckily, some kinds souls let me in to move over to the right most lane.

My alternative is to remember to head home via UTSA to Babcock, then take the Loop 1604 access road from Babcock to Kyle Seale to already be in the right most lane!!

Last edited by Joli; 04-10-2012 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Normally, you would call 311 if the sign is in COSA limits. In the case of the Babcock exit off 1604, that one is almost certainly the responsibility of TxDOT, as is most of the signage along highways or their access roads inside City limits. Same goes for traffic signals at highway intersections.
Actually, within the San Antonio city limits, the City of San Antonio now maintains traffic signals at frontage road intersections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
The yield sign needs to be reinstalled on the access road at the Kyle Seale / Hausman exit heading west on Loop 1604. I need to turn right on Kyle Seale to drive home. Tonight, there was bumper to bumper traffic in both access road lanes to the light making it impossible to get over to the right turning lane after exiting Loop 1604. Luckily, some kinds souls let me in to move over to the right most lane.
Generally in the case of traffic jams, people should (and generally do) just take turns. Regular right-of-way regulation is pointless in those cases. (In Germany, that's actually the law. It's called the "zipper rule".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio