U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 PM

33 posts, read 143,718 times

Advertisements

Schools district, neighborhood safe or not? Also how long it would take to drive to Lackland AFB. Google says approx: 34mins
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM

5,721 posts, read 17,404,962 times
It's going to be more like 45 minutes and that's on a good day. As far as buying a house out in Converse, it tops my list as the last place to buy. Renting, it kinda doesn't matter but expect major foundation issues around there. The area is nothing but Houston Black Clay and is about as stable as the San Andreas fault line.
Here's the info on Judson High School:
Judson High School, Converse TX School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

If you want to get into a lower property tax area and don't mind country living, look to Lytle. It's about 20 minutes from Lackland out IH35 south. It rivals a lot of upper scale San Antonio neighborhoods for more millionaires per capita. Schools will be about the same as Judson and the High School is fairly new. Not sure about rentals or if the local housing is in the dollar bracket for your budget. Might look at realtor.com for comparables.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,520,746 times
Crips wear blue, Bloods wear red

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM

33 posts, read 143,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Crips wear blue, Bloods wear red
That bad huh?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 PM

11,497 posts, read 25,352,491 times
Some parts of Converse are nicer than others. I wouldn't want to live out there though, even if you live in the nicer part you still end up in walmart with the people from the not-so-nice areas around there and your kids end up in school with theirs.

Foundation problems are common in that area, as mentioned.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,520,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCountry View Post
That bad huh?

No, not that bad yet but getting pretty close. Converse has been going downhill for quite a while.....I wouldnt personally look there if your looking to reside somewhere for more than a couple months

Old 04-04-2012, 03:07 AM

7,009 posts, read 11,848,791 times
I wouldn't want my kids going to Judson ISD. The San Antonio areas surrounding Converse are bad. There have been more murders in Stone Oak than Converse though. Converse has only had one murder in the past 10 years or so.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,555,495 times
I grew up in the area and, sadly, it has gone downhill since the 70s/80s. I would recommend something closer to Lackland. It is closer to Randolph AFB, however quite a drive to Lackland. Look around the NW side of town, outside 1604 I would recommend.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 45,062 times
I graduated from Judson also, and I really wouldn't recommend it either. Aside from the declining neighborhoods, the commute is going to be pretty bad. Have you looked @ Alamo Ranch?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM

874 posts, read 2,782,864 times
The commute is not fun depending on time of day. I live in Live Oak and drive to the Lackland side of town daily (I teach in Edgewood), and I would not suggest the drive if it can be avoided.

I attended Judson ISD schools off and on throughout my elementary, junior high, and high school years (father was in Air Force, so we would get stationed somewhere else for a couple of years, then back here for a while, and so on) and have no issues with the education I received. I was in GT from pretty much the beginning of elementary and took Honors/AP/IB classes, so I don't know if it was drastically different for others. However, I did graduate in (eek!) 1990, so there have certainly been changes in the district since then. I do know a few people who teach in Judson ISD as well as many who have kids in the schools and most of them are pretty happy with the district and the programs in place.

However, none of them actually live in Converse. Growing up, we had a somewhat negative perception of Converse - not because of the purported Crips and Bloods, but more because at that time many folks saw it as more of a trailer park kind of area. The area has grown and changed over the years, of course... There are okay areas in Converse today, but it is hit and miss. I also would not suggest the Kirby area. (If I had to pick between Converse and Kirby for some reason, I would pick Converse.) If you are interested in the general area of town for some reason (again, I would say no because of the commute), there are several small communities that would be a better bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio