Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
What fabulous homes.... *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
I agree with perti! *sigh* I'd about KILL to live in ANY of those homes you posted spoiler! But then again, I can't STAND McMansion..... soooooo......

Someday I'll get outta the 'burbs and into Southtown. Someday.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
Quote:
I don't know what a "nice yard" is to you, so I found you some yards with grass, like you mentioned earlier. I think that grassy lawns are irresponsible and an obsolete metric in determining what constitutes a good neighborhood, considering what a waste of water they are. Xeriscape, baby.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

#1 king william street is nice gem in a crap area I have always noted that
#2 go a block either direction, im surprised i didnt see a trailer park
#3 really im not even going to respond I should call code compliance i feel like the houses on that street are going to fall down
#4 now i know where to buy used burglar bars
#5 i like duplex's Moderator cut: bashing

once again maybe %10 of that area is nice but the other 90% is a slum,
Moderator cut: bashing

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-11-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
#3 really im not even going to respond I should call code compliance i feel like the houses on that street are going to fall down
on one of THE most desirable streets in King William, right by the river. That house is worth A LOT. Prime location, excellent house.

Quote:
huh? The house doesn't have burglar bars (many in the 'hood do, holdovers from the past, but this one doesn't). It's one of my favourites, but it's on a busy street. It is AMAZING, but no, they haven't replaced the chain link fence yet. They did invest $$$$ in restoring it though.

oh, and #2 is on the other most desirable street in San Antonio. And the house is spectacular inside and out. I'd give my right arm to live there, but will settle for just being invited over.

Quote:
Slums that cost $200-550K for an average house, add another 300K for the first two (that's a minimum, they're worth more now).

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-11-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM

77 posts, read 124,984 times
Quote:
#1 king william street is nice gem in a crap area I have always noted that
#2 go a block either direction, im surprised i didnt see a trailer park
#5 i like duplex's Moderator cut: bashing

Moderator cut: bashing
But they all have grass on their lawns....

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-11-2012 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: updated quoted post

Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Many fine houses in King William. I'm just glad someone is preserving them! Security is really only as good as your nearest neighbors. So is peace of mind and the ability to enjoy your surroundings. Safety is found in niches in most areas.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
Quote:
But they all have grass on their lawns....
this is true

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Moderator cut: see comment Through a discussion such as this awareness is fostered as others with more experience share their opinions. Even I am learning.

We are also seeing that these different opinions are shaped by different values. Some value the uniformity, appearance of safety, and the shopping models the suburbs offer. A point missed is that gentrification does have a dark side, that of raising property values and as a result driving out the less wealthy but original inhabitants.

Noticed I did mention the appearance of safety in the suburbs because those who used to live in the Victoria Courts were relocated throughout the city in section 8 apartment units and residences, many which are located in the suburbs. So ironically those who most fear the city because of its inhabitants are having those same people move into their area anyways with their kids going to the same schools as their children.

In turn crime rates do fall in the city making it more liveable overall.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-11-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker of the ideas.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Moderator cut: see comment Through a discussion such as this awareness is fostered as others with more experience share their opinions. Even I am learning.

We are also seeing that these different opinions are shaped by different values. Some value the uniformity, appearance of safety, and the shopping models the suburbs offer. A point missed is that gentrification does have a dark side, that of raising property values and as a result driving out the less wealthy but original inhabitants.

Noticed I did mention the appearance of safety in the suburbs because those who used to live in the Victoria Courts were relocated throughout the city in section 8 apartment units and residences, many which are located in the suburbs. So ironically those who most fear the city because of its inhabitants are having those same people move into their area anyways with their kids going to the same schools as their children.

In turn crime rates do fall in the city making it more liveable overall.
This is so very true. Even the beloved Alamo Heights, where my section 8 cousins graduated from....I also spent some of my childhood in housing, and went to Castle Hills.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: updated quoted post

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times

MOD NOTE: Folks, these attacks on each other about the other's different neighborhood preferences need to cease, now!

Per
TOS:

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you,and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio