Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
so sad but true just go while the sun is still out and youll have a blast

so sad how oyster bake has turned so ghetto

So true...Oyster Bake used to be great.......probably the biggest event that has gone downhill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
So true...Oyster Bake used to be great.......probably the biggest event that has gone downhill
and they try so hard to keep the bad element out as well
maybe if they made ticket prices $50

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM

15 posts, read 32,551 times
Default Oyster Bake for older people?

Hello all,

So, I'm meeting my folks in San Antonio next weekend for my mom's birthday, and I wanted to take them to some fiesta events (I lived in SA for a while a few years back so I'm somewhat familiar with the different events). My mom has expressed interest in going to the Oyster Bake on friday night, but I've heard it can get a little rowdy at times. While I won't have a problem with that, I'm wondering if it'll be a little much for my late 50s parents. Is this a good event for them, or should we focus on other events throughout the weekend? Either way I'm looking forward to being back in town for a few days, I hope it hasn't changed too much in the past few years.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
You may want to consider The taste of New Orleans. It is held in the Sunken Gardens. Not sure if the have oysters, but there is a big selection of shellfish.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock9000 View Post
...My mom has expressed interest in going to the Oyster Bake on friday night, but I've heard it can get a little rowdy at times.
Friday night is not as bad as Saturday night.

The best time to go in my opinion is early Saturday afternoon (I like to get there around noon).
There are plenty of shade trees, so you won't get too hot. And it isn't crowded yet, so you can walk around easily and enjoy the food and drink booths.

I like to take my kids on Saturday afternoons, and then we leave by evening. Around 7 or 8 is when you'll start seeing the crowds coming, so it's nice to be on your way out at that point.

Good luck,
chud (St Marys alum)

Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
I concur. The Oyster Bake use to be great up to the point where you couldn't tell the oysters from the hurl....

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM

38 posts, read 71,017 times
i agree with chud friday is more civilized IMO

Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM

568 posts, read 962,223 times
As a hometown San Antonio person who has attended Fiesta for over 5 decades...and have witnessed the downfall of Fiesta with undesirables of all kinds...go to events during the day and be out of the area no later than 7:00 and try not to go on Saturday night to any event. You should be OK.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
As a hometown San Antonio person who has attended Fiesta for over 5 decades...and have witnessed the downfall of Fiesta with undesirables of all kinds...go to events during the day and be out of the area no later than 7:00 and try not to go on Saturday night to any event. You should be OK.
Except for the river parade and Flambeau, I pretty much agree with this, but mostly because evening events get so crowded. I don't mind crowds, but it's so crowded I can't even move I start worrying about fire (NIOSA is like this for me - just not fun after about 7:00 p.m. because you can't even move!).

Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM

545 posts, read 1,061,801 times
Whole lot of events that involve standing in line for food you can get every other day of the year. The parades have been ruined by the pump air horns. We're done with it in my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio