Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times

Advertisements

I know in our neighborhood that renting a house out is terribly difficult. I my area of our subdivision the houses sell for $250-400k. There was one place up for rent (owned by Cali investors) for over a year. I don't know what they ended up doing with it but I think it was eventually sold. We have to sign a 1 year contract with the builder when we move in that we wont sell or rent the house. Be sure to find out the details of the neighborhood you want to buy so that clause doesn't bite you in the butt. Try to find out if there are any rentals near the house too and see what they go for. It could be that it's not enough to cover your mortgage. Many people come here thinking they will rent a home and find it much easier and more practical to buy. Using the real estate function on MYSA.com the highest priced house in 78251 is $370k but there are 36 pages of homes going down to $47k. It means you're probably going to have a lot of competition and it may not be so easy to rent your place out. SA is not known for being a great place for investing in residential real estate, be very careful before you make that purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that Turtle_Mom, but unfortunately the vast majority of them were off site, mostly California and Mexico and therefore could care less about the neighborhood they invested in.

We do indeed need more people like what you were suggesting. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a rental house and I lived in one the first year I was here.
Amen! To the right of my house are 3 rentals in a row and the 4th house is for sale and could turn into a rental. Also two houses across the street from me are rentals. This all happened in the last four years. So far, the neighbors are pretty good, but who knows about future renters? I must say that the rental houses look a lot worse (grass not cut, large weeds, etc.) when they are empty between renters.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 PM

77 posts, read 93,459 times
Our neighborhood ( Highpoint at Westcreek) is making me nervous... nothing pre-existing is selling... they are sitting there for months on end and now I'm starting to see the rent/lease signs go up. We are still competing with new homes, which ARE selling, so maybe after the subdivision closes out, it will get a little better. I keep saying that our saving grace just might be the new high school and the extension of Grosenbacher. We plan to sell the spring before it opens, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. Our friend who is a realtor told me that people are just starting to inquire about the new high school boundary lines as one of their priorities. Renting is out of the question for us, so we will have to stay until the market changes.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 AM

18 posts, read 62,760 times
Default Agent, accountant, attorney, water

Jeff Davidson, Davidson Real Estate 210-826-1616, essentially handles almost nothing but rentals.

Not knowing the purpose for which you want the accountant, let Jeff recommend one.

As far as attorneys, good general practice attorneys are are tough to find. I have used Mike Kreager, Kreager Law Firm, with good results. He handles Red McCombs affairs and I guess he is good enough for me. 210-829-7722. you could also count on him to recommend a good accountant.

You will also be wanting water treatment for you home or it will be a mess in no time at all. I found the guys at Watershed Water to be easy to deal with. They were not the cheapest nor the most expensive, But they seem to have good quality products at reasonable cost. My brother and I both have their units in ours homes and my brother has it in his office also. No problems in 4 years on any of the units. In the meantime we put one in my mother's house also. Except for putting in salt, just forget 'em.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 AM

4 posts, read 9,220 times
Thanks for all your replies! I understand your position about out of town property investors. It all comes down to good property management. But I believe a well managed rental property can attract good tenants and supply rental accommodation for people who aren't able or willing to go through the trouble of buying and maintaining their own home.
Appreciate your input Jules07 and Big Guy. Why would I need water treatment?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
The water is VERY hard here

Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
The renters will never, ever take as good of care as you would your own home. Sorry, but it doesn't "all come down to good property management".
I've bought and sold dozens of properties and have seen what can happen.
I strictly deal in commercial properties now, besides owning my own home.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 PM

and most of us appreciate you for it

Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
The renters will never, ever take as good of care as you would your own home. Sorry, but it doesn't "all come down to good property management".
Well, I'd agree with one of your sentences. It's doesn't "all come down to good property management." But the first one really bothers me. The whole "all renters are scumbag, second class citizens who will trash you house" mentality makes my hair stand on end! There are good tenants out there. Ask any of our previous landlords from 4 different states, we've always left a house in at least as good, and most times better condition than when we moved in. And I don't think that we're the only ones who've ever done that. Ya can't lump all tenants into a category anymore than you can say that "all landlords are money grubbing slumlords who don't care whatsoever about xy&z, only about putting tons of money in their pocket no matter who they hurt".

Good property management (whether done by an outside company or by the owner him/herself) involves more than just the bottom line! And whether or not I think that maco should invest in a potential rental has nothing to do with the fact that he/she seems to be looking at the whole picture and somehow create a beneficial situation for both him/herself and the tenant.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 AM

I don't think second class scumbags was even close to what they were insinuating with their post

and you are right, you can never say ALL of anything is anything, that's impossible because there is always an exception. However, it is safe to say most renters do not care as much as a homeowner. There really isn't an incentive for them to, because it's not theirs.. Good example would be a rental car. I care about getting in an accident with one, but other than that I treat them like a car I'll never have to deal with again...

and it's easy to tell the rental properties on my street, especially the lawns... although I can't really talk about lawns today because mine needs mowing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio