Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,218 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a 3 bedroom house in the Northside ISD, somewhere close to 78251. In the moment I would acquire it as a property investement - we are not sure yet when we move to San Antonio. Any recommendation on a accountant, lawyer and a good property management firm? Is there any local property investor who would like to share some of her/his experiences? Thanks Maco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I think you're going to have fun finding someone that will support a property investor.. I can't speak for the board, but most people I know aren't fond of them and what they do to neighborhoods.. there are even builders that won't sell to them; I applaud them for that

Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
You might want to check out some recent articles in the local newspaper and check with some agents about the rental situations in SA right now...seems that lots of investors last year made for a heavy rental market in certain priceranges...might want to consider that before you dive in.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:27 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
I, for one, will not support this. Sorry.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Several Realtors I know through work (title insurance) have told me that the California specuvestor money of two years ago has now led to an inevitable balloon in the amount of single family homes for rent, and a commensurate rent decrease. SA isn't the untapped market it used to be, so getting in this late is not a high quality idea.

Also, a friend of mine just moved from a neighborhood full of investor-owned homes to one that is nearly 100% owner-occupied and he said the difference in the feel and upkeep of the community is amazing.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times
I'm not opposed to rental properties, my husband and I were considering acquiring some. However, we live in this city, would manage the property ourselves and possibly have the rental even be in our neighborhood (which of course we'd want to keep the property up for our own property values.) Rentals are still needed, esp. the corporate level of homes in the desired school districts. There is nothing against investing, but like all things it should be done responsibly.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:08 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that Turtle_Mom, but unfortunately the vast majority of them were off site, mostly California and Mexico and therefore could care less about the neighborhood they invested in.

We do indeed need more people like what you were suggesting. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a rental house and I lived in one the first year I was here.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I agree that locals who decide to get into property investing, and who carefully select their properties with an eye to increasing neighborhood value and who manage it like its their own home are always welcome. My concern is with absentee landlords.

My favorite story about this topic is about a closing I did. I had an investor, from California, who bought half a dozen homes in a three day span of time. I asked him where these homes were, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "don't know, don't care, the price was all that mattered." That's not really the sort of landlord I'd want owning in my community - if he has a fallow period with no tenants, is he going to maintain the property well? He's in California, so what does he care if it gets rundown while its not earning him any income?

I think the main concern about rental properties right now is the sheer glut in the SFR category. Perhaps it would be better to look into duplexes or four-unit buildings.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Yes, these rentals are what is causing a lot of the problems in the financing industry too. I saw an article on Miami where people were borrowing $60K to put down on new condo's that were priced at $350K, but sold for $400K after they were built. They said there was over 40,000 of these just in Miami and more than 70% of them were from people looking to turn them, problem was people stopped buying them.. people like that deserve no sympathy and should get burned as bad as possible for their greed and stupidity. Seems most of them thought it was magic money and didn't understand there was an actual risk to it.. now a bunch of them are stuck with nearly $300K mortgages they can't afford..

Old 09-15-2007, 03:11 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Default Agreed!

Here's a little story for ya - house next door to us sold during the height of the whole "California specuvestor" (great term Rockin'!!) frenzy. They bought high (IMHO). They were figuring that they would move here in 2-3 years or so and would rent it out until they could move. They got it rented out pretty quickly, to a group of young Air Force guys (who, btw, turned out to be great neighbors), but even tho there were 4 guys rooming together, after a year of living there they could no longer afford to heat/cool the old thing and pay the overpriced rent. They moved out in Jan. of this year. House went on the market pretty quickly with the same agent who had represented the owner in the purchase. Apparently the owners were now realizing what the rental market in SA had become (thanx CA specuvestors! ) and weren't so sure they'd be able to move here afterall. So up for sale or for lease it went. Priced way too high and sat....and sat......and sat.....and sat. They switched agents. Again it sat. They lowered the rental price by 25 bucks, and got it rented this weekend (after nearly 10 months on the market...with no tenant/rental income).

Moral of the story - I don't really know. Just don't rush in to it, and if you do end up purchasing and being a long distance landlord, please get a good management company (we rented a house from one I would recommend, you can dm me if you'd like the contact info. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, and would get no commission if you used them. Just concerned for our neighborhoods.) I know that ShaneSA will disagree with me that any good PM companies exist but I have personal experience with this company and saw how they treated both tenants and landlords.

Oh, and 78251 is a pretty diverse zip code. I have a personal interest in it, since it's where I live, so that also explains why I hope you get a good PM company!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio