Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM

580 posts, read 1,427,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Safe!!!?!?!?! Compared to what, Somalia? That area is not safe at all.
Please check google earth and street view for yourself.
It is one of those areas confused people like to refer to as "In Transition". And they are always trying to dupe people to moving into their neighborhood.
And it has been in "transition" for the past 30 years not not making much progress.

Yes there are big historic houses in the area, but 90% of them are in complete disrepair and falling apart. The nice niced fixed up ones are usually converted into law offices. You wont find any new or modern apartments in this area. You wont find anything new or modern in this area. Lots of homeless people lots of graffitti.

The quarry area is about about 5 miles away and has nice apartments and modern upscale retail if that is what you are looking for.

I have said it before...ask your new boss or headhunter "Would it be safe to live in Tobin hill, near work?" You will get another honest answer.
The nice safe part of SA is the far nothside (about 20 miles north).

Good Luck and Stay safe.
Wow. Gotta love those opinions!

I live literally a block from there. I've been in my house more than four years. I've never had a single break-in; never a single thing stolen from my yard; never a single wayward glance from anyone passing by. (And I walk home LATE at night, like 2:30am late at night.)

And no new apartments? Have you seen anything going in around Pearl Brewery? I think about 1,000 new units are going up there, between Pearl, 1221, and the two places on Broadway. And more lofts are planned for Main Street.

I know there's petty crime around the area, but that happens everywhere. Either way, it's totally worth "the sacrifice" (although what I'm sacrificing, I'm not sure--walking and biking everywhere sure doesn't feel like a sacrifice!) Yes, there are bombed out houses in the area, but I don't mind them, and many are being rehabbed.

Oh well, I guess I don't have to worry about you coming by "Somalia"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,426,419 times
Villas at Oakwell Farms Corporate, Furnished and Extended Stay Apartments from Marriott ExecuStay: Official Site
Can't beat Oakwell Farms for safety and location.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM

332 posts, read 528,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
Good luck with your search. I had the same issue 20 or so years ago, before I moved here. Couldn't find one other than the Warren Inn which wasn't the safest looking place, and that was in the early '90's. San Antonio is woefully short on this kind of accommodation.

My company needed a place for 4 months, so we did a 6 month lease, and ate the last 2 months.
i would avoid any property owned by the warren inn company, as all the ones ive seen in SA look really shady.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Yes, there are bombed out houses in the area, but I don't mind them, and many are being rehabbed.

Oh well, I guess I don't have to worry about you coming by "Somalia"!
i think that was his point; the 'bombed out houses' as you so eloquently put it, have been such for a good stretch of time and have shown no real progress in relation to getting them back in decent shape.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM

330 posts, read 586,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
i think that was his point; the 'bombed out houses' as you so eloquently put it, have been such for a good stretch of time and have shown no real progress in relation to getting them back in decent shape.
No real progress? How do you qualify that? And how often do you visit Tobin Hill? On my street between St. Mary's and McCullough, most houses are already restored, especially toward McCullough. Three are actively under restoration, but work often goes on inside before the outside, so two of them still look "bombed out" because they haven't gotten to the exterior yet. Three others are up for sale and will be bought and restored (we are designated historic). Saying that there is no real progress here is a bunch of baloney.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM

500 posts, read 966,943 times
Quote:
i would avoid any property owned by the warren inn company, as all the ones ive seen in SA look really shady.
Yeah, we avoided it too. It was shady looking to me, and that was 2 decades ago. That's why we just opted to lease a regular apartment for 6 months.

I think that if the Villas of Oakwell Farms, or the Meridian at the Quarry were an option at the time, we would have done one of them. Those kinds of places are what I think of when I think of temporary corporate housing. Safe, reasonably upscale, close to restaurants, shopping, etc...

Old 07-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
No real progress? How do you qualify that? And how often do you visit Tobin Hill? On my street between St. Mary's and McCullough, most houses are already restored, especially toward McCullough. Three are actively under restoration, but work often goes on inside before the outside, so two of them still look "bombed out" because they haven't gotten to the exterior yet. Three others are up for sale and will be bought and restored (we are designated historic). Saying that there is no real progress here is a bunch of baloney.
late response, sorry, but i actually live quite close to that neighborhood and if you say that there are no 'bombed out houses', you are very naive and i have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 AM

330 posts, read 586,396 times
Quote:
late response, sorry, but i actually live quite close to that neighborhood and if you say that there are no 'bombed out houses', you are very naive and i have a bridge you might be interested in purchasing.
I took issue with the "no real progress" sentiment. I'm not sure what you're driving at there.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,862,945 times
Safety is a word in which everyone has a different concept of. Maybe C-D needs a safety rating scale so as to assess what the OPs of these various threads might have in mind. One idea of safety is seclusion from the element where you will never even have to see a homeless person or a thuggish looking youth. For others it is exercising street smarts knowing that if you do not mess with them they won't mess with you and keeping a safe distance if possible and keeping a cool and calm demeanor when not possible. Neither idea is superior but simply based on past experience, necessity, and cultural exposure and expectation, but knowing what the OP has in mind might be different than what we have in mind, we should ask them.

If safe is written in all caps (SAFE) then I am guessing Tobin Hill is not for them unless the area is behind a garden wall with security manning the entrance such as any corporate presence in the inner city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio