Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM

44 posts, read 72,764 times

Advertisements

House is built and closed on. Relocating to SA off 281 by TPC and need a gym. I see that Golds bought the Spectrum Gyms recently. Any feedback? There is one on Evans close to me.

My older son and I work out reglarly but our needs are limited. I don't need a glamorous gym. I want one with above average free weight area, hammer strength equipment and not too crowded. My wife also goes but she is more of the cardio and class type. Trying to keep costs down to the $20-$25 per month per person or a gym that has a family plan.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? prices range from 10-15 a month and include($15 a month plan) unlimited tanning, plus you can bring in guests with you when ever you want

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM

44 posts, read 72,764 times
unfortunately not

Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
We used to go to Bally's up at Thousand Oaks and 281 before we joined LIfetime. It was ridiculously reasonable for us but we wanted all the bells and whistles for our kids so once Lifetime put their trailer up we switched. Bally's was pretty much weights and cardio only. One big room, basic locker rooms and for the kids just a small area but that won't worry you. The only problem is I haven't looked lately to make sure they are still open so you'll have to check.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM

127 posts, read 282,166 times
Does your house that's built and closed on have an extra room? I converted a spare bedroom to a nice workout area with squat rack with pull up bars and pulley, adjustable dumbells (up to 52 lbs), regular dumbells, flat/incline bench, push up bars, etc... Your wife can enjoy cardio out on all our sidewalks.

My excuses for not making it to the gym have been destroyed! I also live by you, so know the pain of fighting traffic which is also now a non-issue when it comes to the gym.

If inexpensive is what you're looking for - the bally's mentioned above is your ticket. I paid $18 a month, but that was four years ago...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM

487 posts, read 991,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogonj135 View Post
House is built and closed on. Relocating to SA off 281 by TPC and need a gym. I see that Golds bought the Spectrum Gyms recently. Any feedback? There is one on Evans close to me.

My older son and I work out reglarly but our needs are limited. I don't need a glamorous gym. I want one with above average free weight area, hammer strength equipment and not too crowded. My wife also goes but she is more of the cardio and class type. Trying to keep costs down to the $20-$25 per month per person or a gym that has a family plan.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
Former Spectrum clubs are still kept as a separate group within Gold Gym and have significantlyh higher prices. For a family plan you would likely pay above $150/mo. In some cases you can get a plan for only one of the clubs for less, but not all clubs qualify (e.g. if you want to access the one in Rogers Ranch you have to pay for all)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
any clue on the prices for access to the old spectrum?
been too lazy to listen to the sales pitch...

Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
any clue on the prices for access to the old spectrum?
been too lazy to listen to the sales pitch...
I just answered that question. Individual is ~100/mo, family ~160/mo. That is for access to all spectrums in the city. For the non "premium" I think there is one-club access at cheaper rates.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
holy moly! I have a work discount and I pay $35 a month for golds only. Not bumping it up +60 for any reason.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
holy moly! I have a work discount and I pay $35 a month for golds only. Not bumping it up +60 for any reason.
Your case may be different, but last thing I heard they saying to old Spectrum members is that Gold members would have to basically match the same prices...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio