Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,335,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddydeals View Post
The problem in San Antonio, there are some great small business owners. But as a group, many of them don't have a clue on how to run a successful business or fixed a struggling one. I know small business owners get bombarded with sale people trying to sell them the greatest thing since the tire. But, they still need to look at ways to improve their business and not ignore everything until it is too late. Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.

Also though, I have heard numerous business owners complain about not being able to find a good work force in SA. Think cruddy, lazy employees are a downfall for many of these small businesses as well.

Of course, I never understand these new businesses that open and they have no web page, no Facebook page, no advertisements, no working phone number listed...but expect customers to just flock to their door. Doesn't quite work that way.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 14,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Also though, I have heard numerous business owners complain about not being able to find a good work force in SA. Think cruddy, lazy employees are a downfall for many of these small businesses as well.

Of course, I never understand these new businesses that open and they have no web page, no Facebook page, no advertisements, no working phone number listed...but expect customers to just flock to their door. Doesn't quite work that way.
In the chain businesses especially, the employees leave a lot to desire in many cases. While the small business owner may have some merit about the employees hurting the business, too many do not market their business just relying on word of mouth. While that might work for a few, for most that is a terrible business practice.

The saddest business owner is the one who states they have no funds to market their business. If that is true, they should shut their doors now to save them more agony down the road having to close their business.

I have done liquidation sales all over the country for small and medium retailers, many were in business over 40 years, some have additional profitable locations, but almost all of them did no or little marketing of their business

Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,445,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
You get what you pay for. If you require years of experience but offer low wages, all you're going to attract are middle-aged people who can't keep a good job.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,680,183 times
Why is this just a problem for SA? It's a problem every where, not just here. Running a small business is a lot of hard work, not everyone is going to be successful. I ran a small business for about 7 years and made a killing for a few years, then I was unable to adapt to the recession and had to go and find a "real" job. Funny thing is, I enjoy my new job more so than running the small biz. Running the biz gave me the experience needed to get hired in the marketplace, foregoing education (I did take 3 years of college) but the experience gained from running the day-to-day operations, managing customers and subcontractors was an extremely valuable form of real-world business education.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,095,567 times
San Antonio is a major hispanic market so it does have it spanish flare, this will never change even if you change the name of the city to San Bohemia. It's funny how people are quick to point out the hispanic culture, a culture that is far from just being tejano.

Do you ever here anything about New Orleans being to much african culture? That city is about 70% black, and nothing wrong with that. You just never here anything about that city being a homogeneous locale. I enjoyed my many visits to N.O.

Honestly Who really gives a flying %^&* about living in a freaking bohemian neighborhood anyway. Its nice... its cool.... but there is more to life so quit with the close mindedness. Just because the media says bohemia-bohemia? S.A. has a rich colorful unique that happens to be cool-culture that is not limited to just hispanic.

Anyhow, this thread is ridiculous for the most part. First of all S.A. is one of the fastest growing cities percentage wise as well as in raw growth with and a median age just a tad bit lower than Austin. It is attracting young professionals and the city is hard at work trying to redevelop its inner city neighborhoods and make them more urban for those that want that environment, not just for the hipster crowd, but for all.

S.A's young professionals are spread out all over the city rather than just one area of town but again the city is working on attracting them to the city center. This is a 300 year old city and there are people stuck in their ways but the city is also very progressive, so it can be a tug-of-war compared to cities with less history to deal with. I'm glad things are the way they are, it gives us a sense of place rather than anywhere USA where you can build whatever you want wherever you want. Its called being UNIQUE!

SA has strong economy, actually one of the strongest, respectable corporate base, bigger than many cities it size, larger than Austin's and yet people complain because they don't know any better. The pay might be a little less entry level wise but the cost living index is lower than most big cities, especially in housing, so companies located here adjust to this index, they do their homework. SA has many strong- points that outweigh any inadequacies.

Its apparent that S.A.is going in the right direction, we have one of the youngest mayors that is working hard to attract young professionals to the city center and our city center has an awesome footprint to work with.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,095,567 times
Wow we are finally getting some love....ranked 30th most hip city in the country ahead of Dallas and Atlanta. I doubt they will ever love us enough to rank us hip like Seattle, Austin or San Francisco even if we ever become crawling with hipsters and young professionals.

America's Best Cities for Hipsters- Page 31 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM

38 posts, read 135,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
+1! Just to note: I don't want anyone to think that I don't think they "deserve" these things; it simply contrasts what they get versus civilians. It's like we (civilians) are just on our own with the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" kind of deal while the military are very fortunate to get many of these deals and benefits.

If only we had a country where every American could afford to go to college and had healthcare and many other things that every taxpaying American should have. College shouldn't be a luxury.

What most civilians fail to understand is that the benefits that veterans receive are not a "gift" to a select group of people. Men and women that serve in the military GENERALLY work outrageously more hours, in worse conditions, then most civilian jobs even on a bad day. They are usually (unless high ranking) paid wages that a lot of people would scoff at. They and their families live a life that no civilian can truly understand without experiencing it. The point though, is that they do all of this to serve this country and provide the MANY benefits that you do get and enjoy. People like to say "oh of course I support the military" and "I'm thankful for your service BUT" the benefits that veterans receive (education, medical coverage for service related ailments) are part of their "payment" by this nation for the time, blood, sweat, and tears that they sacrificed to provide civilians and all American citizens with the lifestyle that they enjoy.

The concept of a country where every citizen was given similar benefits is ridiculous because "every American" has not EARNED these benefits like those who have honorably served. This wasn't necessarily directed at just your comments, and I understand what you're saying, but I feel that ALOT of people disreguard these realities and like to think that they deserve the same benefits as veterans, and it simply isn't the case.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,361,679 times
San Antonio--Cooler Than You Think

San Antonio has been named the 11th 'coolest' city in the USA by Forbes Magazine, and, as you might expect, the designation has nothing to do with the weather.

Ranked ahead of places like Austin and Denver

Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,639,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing_gaines View Post

The concept of a country where every citizen was given similar benefits is ridiculous because "every American" has not EARNED these benefits like those who have honorably served. This wasn't necessarily directed at just your comments, and I understand what you're saying, but I feel that ALOT of people disreguard these realities and like to think that they deserve the same benefits as veterans, and it simply isn't the case.
This is where many people differ in their beliefs. This comes across, as you said, as a benefit. Others see healthcare and education as a right that is inherent and not something that is earned. I am not saying that either opinion is right or wrong but this is where the fundamental breakdown is in regard to any type of benefit.

And as far as us being cooler than Austin. That's fun to think about.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,680,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
San Antonio--Cooler Than You Think

San Antonio has been named the 11th 'coolest' city in the USA by Forbes Magazine, and, as you might expect, the designation has nothing to do with the weather.

Ranked ahead of places like Austin and Denver
It gets worse. The same article said the coolest city is....Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio