Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:50 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times

Advertisements

And absolutely nothing but the Truth? There are people in Afghan. dodging bullets in dust storms,
killing people and come home with the Afghan. cough from breathing dry pulverized desert dust and post traumatic stress disorder. Hopefully in one piece.
For every one actually out there, there are many who work in support capacities that are in there with them 100%. They might literally end up there alongside them too, in this dust. Your disregard for all of them and what has had to be done shows an ingratitude to them that is unsurpassed.
Navy engineering works 6 hrs on and 6 off 24 hrs. a day for six or eight months at a time per tour
in the bottom of ships in unbearable heat and very dangerous conditions. Within the six hours of off time has to be done hygiene, meals, laundry and personal business, e-mails home, pay bills,haircuts, socialize etc. and not much else
except a small amount of rest.
Go ahead and hate these notions remember, behind the notions are persons. I would guess you are a very young person. QUOTE=ItsTheTruth;25368549]Absolutely not. You think you're the only one who's ever worked all through the night or 10 days straight? People shovel garbage and pick up trash for a living. I hate the notion that every member of the military is in Afghanistan in 140F temperatures in a dust storm dodging bullets. You really do a disservice with those types of fabrications. As for the wages, what company would hire you at 18 with no skills and no education, while feeding, clothing, and housing you, and still giving you a good salary? Factories in China hire people like that for 10 cents per hour.[/quote]

Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 PM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
But if there's anyone who sounds like they feel they're "entitled," it's you. Obviously you have no respect for those who served the country that adopted you, provided you safety, shelter and shelter from whatever hellhole you came from. It is that ingratitude that reflect poorly on anyone who would so blatantly badmouth a country that has done so much for them when they've done so little for it...
I knew you would go down this path, and guess what? You're wrong again. This country didn't adopt me or provide me safety. Another did. I came to the US much later, but nice try. You are right about one thing though. I have no respect for you and your views that somehow regular people owe soldiers something. You were paid to do a job.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I knew you would go down this path, and guess what? You're wrong again. This country didn't adopt me or provide me safety. Another did. I came to the US much later, but nice try. You are right about one thing though. I have no respect for you and your views that somehow regular people owe soldiers something. You were paid to do a job.
Honestly, I couldn't care less; but the "truth" that you claim to represent but which to date you have yet to achieve is as always, nowhere close to reality.

Somehow as an immigrant to this country you still fail to respect those who provided that opportunity for you.

And I guess you don't feel the need to protect and provide that opportunity to others, and those who served in our armed forces have done since the beginning of this country.

So don't appreciate it, and belittle those who have served; it only goes to show your rights still exist thanks to those much bigger and noble than you!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go add yet another individual on here whose posts are not worth reading to my 'ignore' list...

Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
(I don't remember if I already posted this, so forgive me) I was looking for a new job last year and applied to several organizations in a few different states. Out of the offers I did receive (4), the offer that was the best in terms of benefits and pay, was right here in San Antonio. One of the offers I received was actually pretty insulting and I believe it was in Michigan? But I might be mistaken. The offer I got for the company I now work for is actually double what I was previously making for essentially the same line of work I've been in for the last 12 years and it was $6,500 more than the next best offer I got for a job in Virginia.

The grass is not always greener....though I know a lot of it can have to do with your career field.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
The anti-civilian sentiment in this thread is worse than saying that "this part of the city is worse than this part of the city because it's low income.' I know I've said this already in this thread, but I couldn't serve in the military for health reasons. God forbid. I am no less an American than the next person who served. This thread jumped the shark a long time ago. It's no longer about why people are leaving the city but debating military residents.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 AM

231 posts, read 814,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
(I don't remember if I already posted this, so forgive me) I was looking for a new job last year and applied to several organizations in a few different states. Out of the offers I did receive (4), the offer that was the best in terms of benefits and pay, was right here in San Antonio. One of the offers I received was actually pretty insulting and I believe it was in Michigan? But I might be mistaken. The offer I got for the company I now work for is actually double what I was previously making for essentially the same line of work I've been in for the last 12 years and it was $6,500 more than the next best offer I got for a job in Virginia.

The grass is not always greener....though I know a lot of it can have to do with your career field.
what field?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
what field?
I was referring to the robustness (is that a word?) of the job climate being dependent on someone's job field.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 PM

38 posts, read 135,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The anti-civilian sentiment in this thread is worse than saying that "this part of the city is worse than this part of the city because it's low income.' I know I've said this already in this thread, but I couldn't serve in the military for health reasons. God forbid. I am no less an American than the next person who served. This thread jumped the shark a long time ago. It's no longer about why people are leaving the city but debating military residents.
Ashbeeigh just to clear the air, there is no anti-civilian sentiment on this end, I've just had to defend this topic before and in my experience like I said, there are a lot of people that don't truely understand/appreciate what serving in the military entails. I can tell you from experience that a lot of people serving, and that have served in the past, would consider you lucky that you weren't able to enlist. It has nothing to do with being less of an American(at least IMO) I think it's more so that once you have served you do feel a separation and there are some challenges relating to those who haven't shared the experience. Most things that you are perceiving as an attack on civilians is more of a defense of veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio