Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,413 times

Advertisements

I am currently working on my teaching certification for Secondary Science. I am going to take my Science composite exam and when I pass (I will pass!) I will be High Qualify to teach all high-school science courses. I have already finished my Pedagogy coursework through Texas Teachers and I am currently observing at a school in NEISD.

I have so far lectured several of the classes and have been very hands-on in the classroom. The teacher I was assigned to to help has been fantastic in helping me gain more experience. I am definitely realistic about the profession. (I have lots to learn about school politics...about handling parents, etc)

I know NISD is not hiring any ACP candidates to NEISD only hiring ACP only if they have no other choice, I am wondering if anyone (most helpful if you are an administrator to answer this) know which other district in the San Antonio area that are hiring ACP candidates? I know as an intern I will most likely be placed in high-risk schools and I do not mind that, but I am a bit scare about the safety of some high schools due to my size.

Also, I understand the current state of teacher hiring and fierce competition. I WANT to be a teacher regardless of the obstacles it takes to get there. I am not doing this for as a "back-up" plan .

Question: Which districts are hiring ACP interns in San Antonio? Which High-school in these districts are some what safe?

Last edited by nguyenamyn; 04-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: too much private information after review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenamyn View Post
I am currently working on my teaching certification for Secondary Science. I am going to take my Science composite exam and when I pass (I will pass!) I will be High Qualify to teach all high-school science courses. I have already finished my Pedagogy coursework through Texas Teachers and I am currently observing at a school in NEISD.

I have so far lectured several of the classes and have been very hands-on in the classroom. The teacher I was assigned to to help has been fantastic in helping me gain more experience. I am definitely realistic about the profession. (I have lots to learn about school politics...about handling parents, etc)

I know NISD is not hiring any ACP candidates to NEISD only hiring ACP only if they have no other choice, I am wondering if anyone (most helpful if you are an administrator to answer this) know which other district in the San Antonio area that are hiring ACP candidates? I know as an intern I will most likely be placed in high-risk schools and I do not mind that, but I am a bit scare about the safety of some high schools due to my size.

Also, I understand the current state of teacher hiring and fierce competition. I WANT to be a teacher regardless of the obstacles it takes to get there. I am not doing this for as a "back-up" plan .

Question: Which districts are hiring ACP interns in San Antonio? Which High-school in these districts are some what safe?

My fiance got her Alternative Certification, She couldn't find any school that will hire her with it. She was an Teacher Assistant at a school in NEISD and still could not get hired. I dont think any public schools will accept it. You may want to check out the private schools in the area.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenamyn View Post
I would definitely try SAISD, JISD, CISD, and SCISD to begin with. Then HISD, SSISD, ECISD afterwards. Go to every job fair you can. Sub, sub, sub. If you still are not employed in the Fall, visit high schools as soon as they reopen (before school) in August. Summer transfers make principals more willing to talk to you!

Also, don't discount charter schools!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM

431 posts, read 765,797 times
with a acp you are at the end of a very very long line

Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
with a acp you are at the end of a very very long line

I would disagree with this statement. Apply to all districts and be proactive. Make that resume stand out!
Be professional, dress professional and practice your interview - why should they hire you above others? Sell yourself and once you are hired do not ever let them forget why it was you they wanted above all others!

I am ACP and I am a recent hire. I am thankful for my job and I work hard!

Good luck to you.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I would disagree with this statement. Apply to all districts and be proactive. Make that resume stand out!
Be professional, dress professional and practice your interview - why should they hire you above others? Sell yourself and once you are hired do not ever let them forget why it was you they wanted above all others!

I am ACP and I am a recent hire. I am thankful for my job and I work hard!

Good luck to you.
What school district?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What school district?
I work for North East.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 PM

This is straight from the NEISD web site;

NEISD will only consider ACP teacher candidates* for the following “critical needs” shortage areas to complete field experience/clinical teaching requirements.
  • Math
  • Science
  • Special Education
  • Languages Other than English
  • Bilingual/English as a Second Language (All Level)
  • Technology Applications
  • Computer Science
  • Health Science Technology
  • Family Consumer Science Education
  • Technology Education
  • Deaf Hard of Hearing
[CENTER]* ACP TEACHER CANDIDATES MUST HAVE TAKEN AND PASSED THE CONTENT AREA TExES CERTIFICATION EXAM IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT. [/CENTER]

Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 AM

229 posts, read 672,410 times
NEISD, NISD, And Judson only hire ACP candidates in high demand areas (math, science, and Bilingual)

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,413 times
@LovingSat: that's good to know! What subject did you specialize in and which ACP program did you go through? I honestly believe if you really want something, it will show and that open doors. So here's to a good attitude eh?
@Pobre: Thanks, I'll look into those districts!
The only other high needs area I know of besides Science & Math is Special Ed. I will be Highly Qualified to teach all secondary science (if I pass this test...will know soon) and I love science (honestly can't imagine I'll be good at anything else...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio