Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

208 posts, read 381,464 times

Advertisements

Oh, and one more thing....San Antonio is located in the county of Bexar. It's pronounced Bear, as in grizzly bear. This threw me for a while when I was first stationed here. Not very important in the grand scheme of things but will keep us "locals" from chuckling at you if and when you say it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
Oh, and one more thing....San Antonio is located in the county of Bexar. It's pronounced Bear, as in grizzly bear. This threw me for a while when I was first stationed here. Not very important in the grand scheme of things but will keep us "locals" from chuckling at you if and when you say it wrong.
Same thing goes for HEB. I have heard transplants call HEB "heeeb".

Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM

70 posts, read 168,186 times
San Antonio is a very family-friendly city. I moved here from California and, although I HATE the summers, overall it's been a good place for me. (Coming from FL you probably won't notice much of a change, just less humidity.) I would echo the advice to rent first. I rented for a long time and lived all over, mainly north central, ultimately buying "inside the loop" as they say. And yes, everyone is very friendly in the city. It threw me a loop, coming from LA. But anyway, welcome future neighbor!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:44 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaninja View Post
Wow! I must say that I am overwhelmed by the responses! If the way all of you folks took time out of your day to respond to a stranger, is any indication of the kindness of San Antonions, I am already excited about our new home! Thank you all so much! I will be reviewing your responses tonight with my wife and I'm sure that we will have plenty of collective follow up questions for you great people! More to follow and from the bottom of ky heart, THANK YOU ALL for your time and help you are providing my family!
You are very welcome. You'll find folks here are extremely nice and helpful. Let us know if you need more help

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM

138 posts, read 451,557 times
Yes- I am a 'transplant', not by choice, and I call' HEB' Heeb. It does not have any '.', (periods) between letters, so in a proper manner it is pronounced Heeb.
OP, don't move here- it is nasty. Can't wait to get back to Sarasota, Florida...Siesta Key!!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

65 posts, read 136,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
I had always wondered how Bexar County got its name, and this thread inspired me to look it up. Here it is from Wikipedia:

"Bexar County was created on December 20, 1836, and encompassed almost the entire western portion of the Republic of Texas, including the disputed areas of western New Mexico northward to Wyoming. After statehood, 128 counties were carved out of its area.
The county gets its name from San Antonio de Béxar, one of the twenty-three municipalities (administrative divisions) of Texas at the time of its independence. San Antonio de Béxar—originally Villa of San Fernando de Béxar—was the first civil government established in the Spanish province of Texas. Specifically, the municipality was created in 1731 when fifty-five Canary Islanders settled near the system of missions that had been established around the source of the San Antonio River. The new settlement was named after the Presidio San Antonio de Béjar, the Spanish military outpost that protected the missions. The presidio, located at the San Pedro Springs, was founded in 1718 and named for Viceroy Balthasar Manuel de Zúñiga y Guzmán Sotomayor y Sarmiento, second son of the Duke of Béxar (a town in Spain)."

Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM

65 posts, read 136,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmd View Post
Yes- I am a 'transplant', not by choice, and I call' HEB' Heeb. It does not have any '.', (periods) between letters, so in a proper manner it is pronounced Heeb.
OP, don't move here- it is nasty. Can't wait to get back to Sarasota, Florida...Siesta Key!!!!
OP, do move here, it is very nice.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmd View Post
Officially, the HEB logo is "H-E-B" as shown on their website. So it is NOT proper manner to say "heeb".

To me, it is HEB and I always spell it out. Anyone that grows up here pretty much does the same.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM

A speech professor at UTSA whose class I took years ago used to get really annoyed at the whole 'Bexar' as 'Bear" thing. He was from the east coast and could never get used to how we talk down here.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
A speech professor at UTSA whose class I took years ago used to get really annoyed at the whole 'Bexar' as 'Bear" thing. He was from the east coast and could never get used to how we talk down here.
Ha--ask him how to pronouce Worcester MA then let him talk about the way we "talk down here". It's another language NOT some Texas slang. I'm sure he wouldn't get all snotty with someone from Spain. One of the nastiest people I've ever had the misfortune of meeting was a Philosophy Prof at UTSA. Wore Harvard shirts and I wondered, much like I wonder about your speech prof, why he would advertise the fact he thought the east coast was better but apparently he couldn't get hired there...

HEB is named after the original owner, his initial so NOT heeb--Howard E. Butt. Yeah, it's funny go on and laugh but they've done alot for the city and after shopping on the east coast I was sure happy to get back to their prices and selection.

Just make an effort to learn the lingo. You'll make mistakes but if you're not nasty about it and try to learn the language, dialect, culture you'll be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio