Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM

487 posts, read 987,718 times

Advertisements

Was reading in the news thins morning a ranking of cities with best public transportation and San Antonio ranks #19, behind Dallas and Houston but ahead of "Eco Friendly Austin"

How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

Seriously...how can a city claim to be "eco friendly" if they rank so low on mass public transport?

Anyway, it just reflects that many editors just have no clue.

Here's the original ranking, by the way.

Public Transit System Rankings from Walk Score

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM

77 posts, read 124,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post

Thoughts?
We have a long way to go.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Was reading in the news thins morning a ranking of cities with best public transportation and San Antonio ranks #19, behind Dallas and Houston but ahead of "Eco Friendly Austin"

How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

Seriously...how can a city claim to be "eco friendly" if they rank so low on mass public transport?
I was going to say I'm surprised it ranks so HIGH. I'd have expected it to be much lower, because I don't think public transit here is that good. But, from reports I've seen, they focus on the downtown area, which is easily accessible. Anywhere else in the city isn't...

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,952,100 times
Mass transit in SA = A car with 2+ people in it.

--Dim (hoping to see real mass transit in SA one day)

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM

330 posts, read 584,671 times
The transit score for my address is 61- not too shabby. We use the bus (and even trolleys) often. Getting around inside the loop is great, but it can get dicey outside the loop. I'm not sure what the answer is: obviously if ridership is low, it makes no sense to add new routes or more frequent runs, but because the runs are less frequent and routes are spread out, choice riders are harder to come by in the outer areas.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
The transit score for my address is 61- not too shabby. We use the bus (and even trolleys) often. Getting around inside the loop is great, but it can get dicey outside the loop. I'm not sure what the answer is: obviously if ridership is low, it makes no sense to add new routes or more frequent runs, but because the runs are less frequent and routes are spread out, choice riders are harder to come by in the outer areas.
It's skewed. Mine is 80, but it considers grocery as Family Dollar, Hippos (which last time I went in was all deli/snacks, they'd taken out what little grocery they had) and Delivery Market.

The layout of the city makes efficient public transport difficult, and slow buses are not appealing. While I think Los Angeles is problematic in many many ways, and people fought their rail system for a long time, it's a reasonable model because the cities follow a similar type of sprawl.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM

810 posts, read 1,418,431 times
Maybe they switched the “1” and “9” by mistake. LOL.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,723,062 times
The transit score for my address is 20. Walk score is a 6. The nearest bus stop is a little more than half a mile away. I don't think that website is measuring distances over roads though, it says the Domino's Pizza is less than two miles from my house, but it's a little over three miles on my bike computer.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,946,932 times
Maybe VIA told the rankers that hardly anybody lives outside of 410?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's skewed. Mine is 80, but it considers grocery as Family Dollar, Hippos (which last time I went in was all deli/snacks, they'd taken out what little grocery they had) and Delivery Market.

The layout of the city makes efficient public transport difficult, and slow buses are not appealing. While I think Los Angeles is problematic in many many ways, and people fought their rail system for a long time, it's a reasonable model because the cities follow a similar type of sprawl.
oops, 80 is my walk score. My transit score is 69. So I can get more places on foot than via public transit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio