Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM

12 posts, read 18,384 times

Advertisements

Aloha from Hawaii,
Moving w/2 kids (14 & 10) and one smug pug to RAFB from breezy Oahu. Would love to know how humid it gets there...I can take the heat but hate humidity. Me & the spouse both born/raised on east coast (CT & MD) and would love to not experience humidity again.

We are going to buy a house in either Cibolo or Schertz. Would love in-depth comments about middle schools, Steele HS, and the communities. For example, how do most kids get to school (bus, bikes, skateboard, etc..) Right now, we are looking at green builders (Lennar, Centex, KB, Imagine,etc..) and would like feedback on experiences.

Is there any problems w/pests (bees, snakes, etc..)?

All positive/negative recommendations welcome and appreciated.

Mahalo!

PS. Any good sushi places around...I'm addicted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM

92 posts, read 166,495 times
I live three streets in front of the main gate of RAFB in Universal City which is near the Schertz-Cibolo area. In fact, they share a school district. I don't have kids but I have heard nothing bad about the area schools. What I have heard has always been very good. Most of the schools are built in subdivisions so I see many children walking, riding bikes, skating to and from school. It is a clean, quiet area and pretty safe for them to do so. I also see buses going thru the neighborhoods. As far as the humidity goes, I wish I could say it doesn't exist. Today, it is 66% and that's probably normal. August and September can be darn near suffocating with temps near 100+ and humidity very high as well. I invested in de humidifiers for my home and it helps. I don't have any pest problems but someone that lives more where you want to will have to comment on that.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Default Universal City

Thx Cakmke - can you tell me about Universal City? We were told to look northeast of RAFB for schools and the "fresh factor" but we haven't heard anything bad about Universal City. In fact, a couple of houses I've been eyeballing have been there...can you tell me what you like/dislike or would change if you had the power?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Humidity is low compared to Maryland, Locals will say it gets humid here, but its not even close to east coast humidity

Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Default Me007gold

Mahalo for the insight!
You're the 2nd to say that so I guess there is truth and hopefully, some relief from crippling dread of humidity.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM

92 posts, read 166,495 times
Schertz is literally next to UC, so you could be at home then take a two minute drive to the store and you're in Schertz. I don't know what to say as far as the fresh factor except that UC does have some older, established areas like where I live, but it also has newer homes and shops near the Forum shopping center. My home, built in the 60s, is in the Rose Garden area. Schertz has an older area as well around Aero Ave. Where in UC were you looking? As far as school quality, can't say b/c don't have kids. I guess the fresh factor could be the schools themselves b/c there are some new state of the art ones as opposed to the older ones here in UC. Because RAFB is in UC, it is a very patriotic little city w/ people from all over. There are parades and other events that the city puts on every year. Everyone is very nice and friendly and helpful. I like the small town feel, yet it's close to major roads if I need to go to San Antonio. It is a clean, quiet area and I feel very safe. I especially like the police presence, often see them driving thru the neighborhoods, they are very good at their job and are known to catch you for speeding one mile over the speed limit down the main street. At the moment I can't think of any dislikes. If I do I'll post.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM

218 posts, read 501,339 times
San Antonio humidity averages 57% with the summers a little lower.

My father lives in the Schertz/Cibolo area. Every time I visit it seems like new neighborhoods are going up. I do know they are expanding 1103 (currently a 2 lane road) right by where he lives. That should help a lot with traffic.

I hope you enjoy San Antonio while you are here. You will miss the Hawaii beaches as personally the Gulf beaches are not too great.

The gas prices are better.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
Schertz is literally next to UC, so you could be at home then take a two minute drive to the store and you're in Schertz. I don't know what to say as far as the fresh factor except that UC does have some older, established areas like where I live, but it also has newer homes and shops near the Forum shopping center. My home, built in the 60s, is in the Rose Garden area. Schertz has an older area as well around Aero Ave. Where in UC were you looking? As far as school quality, can't say b/c don't have kids. I guess the fresh factor could be the schools themselves b/c there are some new state of the art ones as opposed to the older ones here in UC. Because RAFB is in UC, it is a very patriotic little city w/ people from all over. There are parades and other events that the city puts on every year. Everyone is very nice and friendly and helpful. I like the small town feel, yet it's close to major roads if I need to go to San Antonio. It is a clean, quiet area and I feel very safe. I especially like the police presence, often see them driving thru the neighborhoods, they are very good at their job and are known to catch you for speeding one mile over the speed limit down the main street. At the moment I can't think of any dislikes. If I do I'll post.
Thank you!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
San Antonio humidity averages 57% with the summers a little lower.

My father lives in the Schertz/Cibolo area. Every time I visit it seems like new neighborhoods are going up. I do know they are expanding 1103 (currently a 2 lane road) right by where he lives. That should help a lot with traffic.

I hope you enjoy San Antonio while you are here. You will miss the Hawaii beaches as personally the Gulf beaches are not too great.

The gas prices are better.
Thanks Oakland...the beaches in HI will always be here but they're not all that everyone imagines (lots of trashing from drunks, accidental 'spills' or ocean garbage) but better gas prices will be much welcome. We are buying into one of the new neighborhoods going up because of the energy efficiency improvements - being in HI has made us realize how important solar energy and cost savings is so essential. TX is a great market for energy efficiency.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM

16 posts, read 23,352 times
What will you be doing at RAFB? My family will be arriving as well this summer. We're moving to Cibolo. More pro's than con's for us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio