Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times

Advertisements

Half price pays very little, gave up years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Too bad "I Sold it on Ebay" is no longer. Isn't there a CD store that buys and sells used CD's on Bandera in the Hobby Lobby shopping center at Huebner? Used to be at Bandera & 1604, then moved to the Huebner location. Is it still there? Other than that, do you know anyone in any subdivision that is going to have their annual subdivision garage sale? If so, maybe you can put them in their sale. I know Wildhorse and Fossil Springs/Ranch are having sales this month.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 PM

443 posts, read 954,158 times
Well, if you're a reader, you might consider Nine Lives Boosktore. I dumped two truckloads of books on them last year. They don't buy your books, but issue a store credit so you can purchase more books. They pay more than that "other" store, but how much depends on what genre you are selling. Scifi and the entire gamut of vampire books are fast movers for them.

Unfortunately, the city made them get rid of the cats. Apparently it was just too dangerous for people to decide for themselves whether or not they should approach a cat, or discipline their children not to yank a strange tom's tail.

BTW, the owner, Suzanne, worked for Half Price Books for many years back when there was only one location.

Good luck, bookdealers are a dying breed, so be nice to them when you find one.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post

Unfortunately, the city made them get rid of the cats. Apparently it was just too dangerous for people to decide for themselves whether or not they should approach a cat, or discipline their children not to yank a strange tom's tail.
That sucks. City government can be so stupid.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Half price pays very little, gave up years ago.
They are probably the only store that will buy them, however. I think the only place you could get more is selling through Ebay or Amazon, individually.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
They are probably the only store that will buy them, however. I think the only place you could get more is selling through Ebay or Amazon, individually.
The campus bookstores at all the Alamo Colleges, UTSA, and UIW will buy them, generally speaking. If they are int'l or just have no value, well, they won't. It's worth a try. You do not have to be a student, you only need a DL to identify yourself.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
You could try a garage or yard sale if you've got enough other stuff you'd like to get rid of. I thought college bookstores only buy what's on the list for courses?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I have sold books as a lot before on Craigslist and it worked well enough. I don't usually try to get a lot of money for them though because I buy them really cheap to begin with.

CD Exchange has always been a good place to sell DVD's.

Half Price Books seems to give good prices on recent, popular paperbacks in good shape only. They don't have a lot of demand for hardcover books, or that's what they've told me in the past.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
You can try Powell's in Portland, Oregon. They have an online book evaluator system. However, it may not be worth shipping them.

Give them to the library or a hospital. Rather do that than getting peanuts from half-price. They really aren't a good used bookstore. Most of their stock is remainders.

I once saw a neat reference book and they wanted half of the sticker. I said you probably offered the owner little - so how about $5.00. Did they have a hissy!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The campus bookstores at all the Alamo Colleges, UTSA, and UIW will buy them, generally speaking. If they are int'l or just have no value, well, they won't. It's worth a try. You do not have to be a student, you only need a DL to identify yourself.
They buy some current academic books. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio