Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 PM

28 posts, read 79,081 times

Advertisements

Could use some help here, I'm not from 'these parts' and I don't know what to do.

December 13th, I came home from work to find a USPS 'Sorry we missed you' card in the door, saying they had tried to deliver a parcel at 8am but they couldn't leave it as 'Signature Confirmation' was required.

As I have done many times before, I go online to reschedule delivery. I notice that online it states the parcel was delivered on Dec 13th, but as I know it wasn't (because a signature was required, right?), and as the system is not preventing me from trying to reschedule, I figure it's referring to the attempted delivery. The website allows me to reschedule delivery and gives me confirmation of same.

Fast forward a week of trying to get this thing redelivered, I fnally get home in time to call the USPS Customer Service line (now there's an oxymoron for you), only for them to tell me the parcel *was* delivered on Dec 13th and I had signed for it.

She emails me a copy of the delivery confirmation signature. Needless to say it is not my signature, but it is someone who has signed my name. They also signed at 2.02pm (odd, when their card says they were at my door at 8am). Without making any allegations, I do also notice a very striking similarity between the handwriting on my card, and the handwriting and signature on the delivery confirmation. One might even say they are identical.

What do I do now? USPS is shrugging and saying the parcel was delivered and I signed for it. This would be bad enough if it was some widget from Amazon that I could reorder, but no - it had to be the kids' Christmas presents from my family overseas....

Last edited by helendha; 12-19-2011 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Editing to correct my typos. I don't spell well when I'm mad :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
USPS Customer Service, specifically here.

Otherwise, 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).

Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM

28 posts, read 79,081 times
Yep, these are the people I spoke with this evening who are insistent nothing is missing as the parcel was delivered and I signed for it

Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Since you suspect insider foul play, this would be a case for the San Antonio Postal Inspector's office. The main post office is on Perrin Beitel and that's probably where you will find the inspector.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
That really stinks! So sorry for your possible loss, and the headache you are now entering into. I had mail stolen somehow (I dropped both envelopes into my sub's closed and locked mailbox, neither party received their money orders but both were cashed.) Each MO was $25.00, and it is gonna cost me $15.00 EACH to get a copy to show who cashed them.

I have had to deal with SA Police for a police report (gotta call again, I never received it), the P.O. (to file a lost/stolen mail report), and Western Union, plus contacted HEB (where they were purchased from) AND my bank to see if I had any recourse (stop payment, chargeback, contesting, etc). So that is 5 entities I contacted because they were ALL involved in some way. Talk about red tape.

I learned never to buy Western Union MO's because of this, the PO costs a bit more but I will get paid from them if this happens again, without a lot of BS (per the Postal employee I spoke with when trying to find out what I should do).

Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
Definitely contact the inspector's office. I was having issues with someone "borrowing" my Netflix movies until I contacted them.. and good luck. I had to cancel a Microsoft order of over $650 because of UPS incompetence and Microsoft's inability/not wanting to do anything about it.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
That really stinks! So sorry for your possible loss, and the headache you are now entering into. I had mail stolen somehow (I dropped both envelopes into my sub's closed and locked mailbox, neither party received their money orders but both were cashed.) Each MO was $25.00, and it is gonna cost me $15.00 EACH to get a copy to show who cashed them.

I have had to deal with SA Police for a police report (gotta call again, I never received it), the P.O. (to file a lost/stolen mail report), and Western Union, plus contacted HEB (where they were purchased from) AND my bank to see if I had any recourse (stop payment, chargeback, contesting, etc). So that is 5 entities I contacted because they were ALL involved in some way. Talk about red tape.

I learned never to buy Western Union MO's because of this, the PO costs a bit more but I will get paid from them if this happens again, without a lot of BS (per the Postal employee I spoke with when trying to find out what I should do).
Sometimes crooks will use a little stick with a ball of tape on the end to pull envelopes out of the outgoing mail box.

Just be glad they were money orders and not checks.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,720,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post

In your case it almost seems like you should just write the MO's off as gone and just repurchase them. $50 in MO then $30 to get copies. I am sure you have wasted (or will waste) $20 of your time chasing them all over the place.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM

268 posts, read 593,622 times
You really need to go to the post office on Perrin Beitel, I know it may be an inconvenience, however, this is a delivery that has gone terribly wrong. The sooner you go, the better the chances of finding the item, even if it was misdelivered.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much with the postal inspector. Based on stories I've heard on other forums, there is little chance of any resolution will occur.

I hope your case is different, but I would be prepared for the worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio