Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM

520 posts, read 778,090 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating in the next two weeks. I've been through most of the relocating threads and have done a good bit of homework on San Antonio as a whole (along with having been there the other week for my interview). My wife is from SA, though hasn't lived there since she left for the Army at 18. I have a couple friend from the Navy who have returned/retired to SA to live. We put in a rental application for a home in the Westcreek area, which according to the agent we are working with is a very family friendly area. I do however have a few questions.

What options are available for cable/internet in that neighborhood?
How is AT&T cell service there?

I'll be working near the I-10/410 interchange near the Medical Center, what is a realistic commute time from Westcreek. I've read it can get pretty hairy if coming from the NW outside the 1604 (towards Boerne) - though it didn't seem that bad when I was there in comparison to rush hour in Philly (any time in Philly - I hate driving in that city) or in between the tunnels in Pittsburgh.

Any info is appreciated. I'll add to this thread as more questions come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 AM

229 posts, read 670,227 times
I'm not familiar with where West Creek is, do you have a zip code or crossing street? If not I'm sure someone will be along soon that does know where it's at.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 AM

41 posts, read 82,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
I'm relocating in the next two weeks. I've been through most of the relocating threads and have done a good bit of homework on San Antonio as a whole (along with having been there the other week for my interview). My wife is from SA, though hasn't lived there since she left for the Army at 18. I have a couple friend from the Navy who have returned/retired to SA to live. We put in a rental application for a home in the Westcreek area, which according to the agent we are working with is a very family friendly area. I do however have a few questions.

I'll be working near the I-10/410 interchange near the Medical Center, what is a realistic commute time from Westcreek. I've read it can get pretty hairy if coming from the NW outside the 1604 (towards Boerne) - though it didn't seem that bad when I was there in comparison to rush hour in Philly (any time in Philly - I hate driving in that city) or in between the tunnels in Pittsburgh.

Any info is appreciated. I'll add to this thread as more questions come up.
If its the area outside lp 1604 and Military or Wiseman, you should have good At&t coverage. Traffic isn't that bad just find you self different routes which might cut your commuting time.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 AM

229 posts, read 670,227 times
I think it might be faster to go down 151 to 410 then 410 to I-10, or whichever exit is more convenient for you. I would avoid going down 1604 if possible.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:02 AM

Thanks guys.

@elmariachi, the zip is 78253 (outside the 1604 about 4 miles west of SeaWorld). Google Maps has the best route as being Pontranco to 151 to 410. I am hoping that once on the 410 I am traveling the opposite direction of the bulk of the traffic and it looks like there are several non-Interstate routes if things get too gnarly.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,987,924 times
There are two very long threads about the Villages at Westcreek you may want to look through. That area seems to have its plusses and minuses, which the threads will help you identify.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...westcreek.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-part-2-a.html

Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Thank Bo. Looking at them now.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM

166 posts, read 570,424 times
Quote:
Welcome to Texas. I grew up in the Philly/South Jersey area. I've been here for twenty-three years now. I live in Westcreek and work in the Medical Center.
I'll try and answer your questions. I have Time Warner Cable for internet. I have Direct TV for television and my cell phone provider is Sprint. The Road Runner internet service is awesome. I've never had any issues. The Direct TV works great, but it helps that Westcreek doesn't seem to get a lot of bad rain/weather. When I first moved into Westcreek, Sprints cell service sucked, but since then, a cell phone tower was built on Potranco and now I don't have any issues.
The drive to the Medical Center isn't too bad for me. I take Military Drive to 151, 151 to 410, 410 to Callaghan. On a bad day it may take forty-five minutes, but I usaually make it in thirty.
Welcome again and I hope you like it being over 100 degrees all summer long. It took me awhile to get use to heat!!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks BroadStreet, heat doesn't bother me once I'm acclimated - was stationed in Sicily & Spain (where there is no central AC and the cost electricity made window units cost prohibitive), and Yuma, AZ (BS on the low humidity, 125 is 125). Plus other wonderful 'warm' places like Meridian, MS and Ft Stewart, GA in the Summer.

I was doing a little research this weekend and it looks like AT&T U-verse is available at my address, the cost is actually a little less than the equivalent bundles from TimeWarner due to me being on AT&T wireless.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,523,596 times
Quote:
Thanks guys.

@elmariachi, the zip is 78253 (outside the 1604 about 4 miles west of SeaWorld). Google Maps has the best route as being Pontranco to 151 to 410. I am hoping that once on the 410 I am traveling the opposite direction of the bulk of the traffic and it looks like there are several non-Interstate routes if things get too gnarly.
Unless you're working night shift, you'll be travelling WITH traffic on 410.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio