Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 963 times

Advertisements

Hey so I'm starting work at the intersection of I-10 and 410 and I'd like to move to San Antonio for the first time. I've only been to San Antonio a few times and never to look for apartments so I'm pretty much new to the area. I want to find a safe, clean, fun, and moderately affordable (~$1000/month) place to live. Oh and it would certainly be a plus to have a commute less than 30 minutes...I've read numerous threads about crime around the city and needless to say it has made me think twice about where to live. Does anyone have any suggestions for an apartment around this part of the city? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 AM

332 posts, read 529,272 times
avoid balcones heights. they pull over people for tickets for going 1mph over (it has happened). avoid anything owned by the warren properties group. id try and avoid medical also, as the traffic is a nightmare around there.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
avoid balcones heights. they pull over people for tickets for going 1mph over (it has happened). avoid anything owned by the warren properties group. id try and avoid medical also, as the traffic is a nightmare around there.
I think the OP is referring to IH-10 and 410 on the eastside. That's where the 78219 zip code is.

I'd recommend the apartments in Oakwell Farms. They're in a nice neighborhood on the NE side (78218) and not too far from 78219. Avoid the rest of the 78218 zip code. If you can find something affordable in there, Alamo Heights is also not too far.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM

27 posts, read 135,362 times
Try Lakeside Villas in the Oakwell Farms area - I lived there for a time and was pleased with what they offered for the reasonable price and on-budget. Many folks have lived there for years and years and years.

My only caution has to do with parking, and that is only if you live in an apartment near the mailboxes. I did, and the parking was quite congested (natural bottleneck there) in that area. If you live anywhere else on the property, you'll be golden (as long as you don't roll in at 3 AM and expect wide-open parking lots to roam through!)... but if you live near the mailboxes, consider a reserved spot.

I loved the numerous pools they had - kept folks spread out, I was always able to find one that was vacant / not crowded with little kids.

My unit had washer-dryer connections, but they also had the units on-site - again, in multiple locations, so that you don't get stuck in "weekend laundry traffic."

Lakeside Villas also had a guest apartment that you could rent by the day, as well as a quaint (modernized) prairie shepherd's cottage. My folks stayed in both, and they loved the shepherd's cottage there on the property. So forget about having your family or friends shack up with you or in a hotel - get 'em their own place within walking distance for less!

Hope this helps!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
You should be able to find something nice in downtown/southtown for that price range, and it's 15-20 mins to I10/410 on the eastside.

Check out Hemisview Apartments on Chavez (formerlu Durango)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio