Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,643 times

Advertisements

I am Anglo and speak no Spanish. I do have many friends that are bilingual and speak perfect English AND Spanish. I have noticed that often when I introduce two Hispanic friends to each other, they start speaking Spanish right off the bat. I think it is because they want to connect with each other and openly recognize the common bond they have. Not laziness IMO. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Political/illegal immmigration must be discussed in the P&OC forum only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

With over 50% native Hispanic Texans, but wouldn't you like to know what they are saying? I would.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 12:51 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,643 times
Yes I would! I have thought about finding someone to tutor me and my kids. I do speak French so sometimes I can follow slightly what they are saying. Usually when I introduce people and they launch into Spanish, they are talking about how old their kids are and which part of Mexico their family is from.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
The answer to the op's question is no. It is not important, nessessary or essential to know or speak Spanish in San Antonio.
This.

As a non-Hispanic, non-native Texan I have never encountered any language difficulty in San Antonio. I have met people here who speak little or no English, but never in a situation where it was a big issue (e.g. a waiter).

I grew up in Florida and while the Spanish heritage is more predominant here, it’s more of a historical/cultural thing to appreciate and enjoy. I for one like the fact that there is a strong heritage still evident in this city, too many places I have seen have become bland due to the “watering down” of such icons and a legacy like the one in San Antonio should be embraced and not feared.

Plus, Spanish is not the only culture prevalent in this part of Texas, there is a heavy German influence in this area as well as Czech and other nationalities.

All that said, it’s never a bad idea to speak a second language.

Most importantly, welcome to Texas and San Antonio! We hope you love it here as much as we do!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,116 times
It can be beneficial to speak Spanish. I have dealt with a siginifcant amount of Mexican Nationals where my employer had me assigned. It was my experience that those from Mexico were more at ease and in a buying mood when I conversed with them in Spanish. Way back in the day when I worked in a call center, my employer paid a significant differential to those who were fluent in Spanish. Knowing a second language can have its advantages.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times
am I the only one out there to think the glass is half full?
this is the OP's first post, there's been no response from them, and it's borderline controversial.
perhaps they were just here to stir the pot?

seems to be happening a lot lately. could be wrong, but it's my two cents.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
With over 50% native Hispanic Texans, but wouldn't you like to know what they are saying? I would.
Best way to do that is to learn Spanish.

There are many advantages to knowing more than one language, hence why our dual-language program at our local elementary is so sought after amongst non-spanish speaking families across the city.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 12:53 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,567 times
I really appreciate the replies. I feel better about San Antonio now.

The reason I was offended when a Spanish person speaks Spanish to me is because they show they're obviously annoyed by me not knowing Spanish. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Thanks again. It doesn't sound like San Antonio has the same issues as AZ and NV.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-24-2012 at 12:58 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
I have taught in two types of schools here in SA, a private school with many Mexican National students, and a Title One public school with struggling families.

ALL the wealthy children spoke Spanish/some English in the private school, (I barely speak Spanish, btw, and I did just fine). It is difficult to find children at the public school now who speak Spanish in their home. I was astonished trying to teach them songs in Spanish for Fiesta (I'm a music teacher), and they struggled with their ancestral language.

It is getting rarer to find young children in SA nowadays who speak Spanish in their home.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,134 times
Then there are those that speak "Spanglish".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio