Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 AM

92 posts, read 166,247 times

Advertisements

I see alot of ads from vocational schools that are promoting this as a
good career with plenty of opportunities and high earning potential.
Has anyone actually gone through a program successfully and found
employment as quick and as easy as they make it seem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
The majority of these are for-profit schools like Career Point, Kaplan and Sanford and Brown. However, SAC and St. Phillips offer the programs as well. If you are interested in these programs I would look into SAC and St. Phillips first because the others are way more expensive and recently were shown to have some of the highest loan default rates in the city.

Also, the majority of these programs train for entry level positions that are closer to the $!0-$15 per hour range. To really make the super good paying medical jobs you're going to have to get a BA/BS in something medical.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM

7,119 posts, read 11,789,942 times
In a word....

No.

Have met a number of folks that've gotten through it, and found employment in other fields.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM

464 posts, read 801,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
I see alot of ads from vocational schools that are promoting this as a
good career with plenty of opportunities and high earning potential.
Has anyone actually gone through a program successfully and found
employment as quick and as easy as they make it seem?
Steer clear from these places! Get a solid college degree with a focus on IT in Health Information Systems, get a ton of medical coding and move forward from there. Learn HIPAA and stay abreast of the upcoming trends in technology and you'll be ahead of the crowd.

These "certificate" mills churn out High School Grad hopefuls who are sold the notion of "job placement upon graduation" only to find that the San Antonio area is super-saturated with potential applicants which further reduces their chances and lowers their wages. Grads stay unemployed or underemployed hence the high rates of student loan defaults. Only the schools are doing well financially.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,485,489 times
Thanks Career Point!

Don't waste your time with these places....like it was said in the previous post, they are there to make money. They will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to get you to enroll. You are going to be stuck with an enormous debt and a worthless piece of paper. Do your research 1st!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 AM

381 posts, read 766,605 times
Like everyone said before, stay away from these expensive schools and go to any of the Alamo Colleges. I went to a technical school in 1998 and paid like $17k to get an "associates degree" in automotive industry, which I don't get since I only went there for 10 months. I thought an associates degree took 2 yrs no? Whatever. These places are con artist. That school was in Miami, but they are all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio