Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 AM

434 posts, read 1,120,943 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what anyone can tell me about the areas in zip 78217 and 78218. We are still undecided as to a new build or looking in an established neighborhood. In looking at the listings on SA.com and realtor.com there seem to be some really nice homes that are older with mature trees etc. that are very reasonably priced. (up to $160,000) I was wondering what the thoughts were on these two areas. We are retired so we don't have to be concerned with schools. Any information would be helpful. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 12:53 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,421,027 times
Both are pretty regular middle class zipcodes. 78218 has some very nice areas in the Oakwell Farm's neighborhood that has homes that are 400k +, it also is home to the new rackspace hq.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 19,004 times
Default Know those zip codes well

Good Morning Crittergal -

I grew up around that part of town and like any other neighborhood, it has it's up's and down's but for the most part it's really good. The people there take care of their homes but since the neighborhoods are older, there are probably no HOA's. I, too, am moving to the San Antonio area soon and I've looked at several homes in those zip codes but the commute would be too far. What neighborhoods have you looked into?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 62,320 times
Check out the post by gerryj," Yet Another". This talks about Windcrest, zip 78239.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM

993 posts, read 2,484,474 times
I live and work in 78217, and it is not bad. If I had to do it all over again, I might have spent some more money and looked in the vicinity of Pius X church. Some areas in the vicinity of Perrin Beitel seem to be dicey, so I would be on the look out. But as long as where I am living remains quiet I am fine with that.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,327,005 times
I agree on the Perrin Beitel thing. It's too bad, Perrin Beitel used to be raw land 35 years ago....almost...except for a few farms and some development near 410. Then some shoddy builders propped up some low cost housing and it hasn't held it's age well.

That being said, I agree that some of 217 has some very nice older homes. If you concentrate on the neighborhoods north of 410, EAST of Nacogdoches and West of Starcrest you'll find a nice pocket of gems. Those homes are solid and the neighborhood is being well maintained for the most part. There are a few fixer uppers in that area with great potential. Also in MacArthur HS area which is a plus!

And speaking of MacArthur...the neighborhood (not sure of the zip) to the North and West ...NORTH of "Mac"Bitters is a nice older neighborhood too. Regent or Recency Park? I always forget.

Anyway...both areas are in a great location...a hop on 410 and you can get almost anywhere....easy access to the airport, NSM, downtown and shopping and eating in the Alamo Heights area without the real estate price tag!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:33 PM

83 posts, read 214,203 times
I live in 78217 - Northern Hills. We have lived there for about 1 1/2 years now. For the most part, we like it. Our section of the neighborhood is nice and quiet - lots of older neighbors who watch out for each other. The HOA fee is only like $35 a year and it's voluntary. I love the mature trees and hate cookie cutter homes so we don't mind that our house is 30+ years old. However, the side of the hood closer to Nacogdoches is looking a little shoddy.

I also lived in Regency Park (behind MacArthur) for many years about 10 years ago. It is also a nice hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio