Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
can you please tell your brethren to stop walking on the side of the road and creating a traffic mess? the lady cop i saw yesterday was causing traffic to back up, all in the name of 'safety'... er i mean lining the police department's pocket.

before you ask, i did call the cops and report her and the traffic nightmare she was causing 'all in the name of safety'
Just like when I, or most any other Officer, see YOU doing something, we investigate and get your side of the story, I am not going to assume anything about a fellow Officer until I get their side of the story.

See how that works? You can not possibly know why that Officer was there, no matter how it looked to you...and yes, that Officer may have been doing something wrong or less than a "best practice." That Officer may have had a reason for what they were doing that was beyond reproach.

As it stands right now, all I know is what you are alleging you saw.. I would not be a very good investigator (or person for that matter) if that was enough for me to make a judgement.

However, you did the right thing and your civic duty. You reported it. I can appreciate that. In most places, citizen complaints are taken very seriously and they should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Just like when I, or most any other Officer, see YOU doing something, we investigate and get your side of the story, I am not going to assume anything about a fellow Officer until I get their side of the story.

See how that works? You can not possibly know why that Officer was there, no matter how it looked to you...and yes, that Officer may have been doing something wrong or less than a "best practice." That Officer may have had a reason for what they were doing that was beyond reproach.

As it stands right now, all I know is what you are alleging you saw.. I would not be a very good investigator (or person for that matter) if that was enough for me to make a judgement.
Awesome except as citizens posting on a forum we are not opening an investigation, submitting, evidence to the DA, or going on trial. Does anyone actually expect others to be held to such rigid standards when simply posting?

We are not investigators and I'm unsure what being a good (or bad) person has to do with this?

Some posts are completely out of proportion.

Last edited by Merovee; 06-01-2012 at 03:49 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Still, we all have a moral responsibility to research the facts before posting such allegations. Some think it is OK to carelessly toss such accusations without being bothered to actually learning the truth, a few even try to make their false assumptions appear as fact. Such actions degrade not only the validity of the poster but also this forum.

Like other things in their lives, they believe there are no consequences for their actions. They could not be any farther from the truth.

Moderator cut: City-Data's Terms of Service (ToS) are the rules to be followed here.

Cheers! M2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-01-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Still, we all have a moral responsibility to research the facts before posting such allegations. Some think it is OK to carelessly toss such accusations without being bothered to actually learning the truth, a few even try to make their false assumptions appear as fact. Such actions degrade not only the validity of the poster but also this forum.

Like other things in their lives, they believe there are no consequences for their actions. They could not be any farther from the truth.

Moderator cut: City-Data's Terms of Service (ToS) are the rules to be followed here.

Cheers! M2
Relax mate this is just a forum not a court of law.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-01-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Relax mate this is just a forum not a court of law.
True...but I would submit that common decency and fairness would require that random, unsubstantiated accusations of wrongdoing are out of place at any time......

Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
who doesn't automatically buckle their seatbelt anymore???? that's so 80s.....

Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Not practical when you're in and out of the vehicle 80-90 times a day.
I bet the folks that are sitting through unnecessary funerals because their loved one didn't buckle their seat belt are saying, "well, he'd still be with us, but really, it wasn't practical". Not too many people in ICU are saying "I'm still glad I never buckled up because it really was a hassle".

It's not like he adds an hour to his day in "buckle up time". To each their own, but that was a pretty weak excuse.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I bet the folks that are sitting through unnecessary funerals because their loved one didn't buckle their seat belt are saying, "well, he'd still be with us, but really, it wasn't practical". Not too many people in ICU are saying "I'm still glad I never buckled up because it really was a hassle".

It's not like he adds an hour to his day in "buckle up time". To each their own, but that was a pretty weak excuse.
3 seconds x 100 times daily = 300 seconds = 5 minutes

Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Awesome except as citizens posting on a forum we are not opening an investigation, submitting, evidence to the DA, or going on trial. Does anyone actually expect others to be held to such rigid standards when simply posting?

We are not investigators and I'm unsure what being a good (or bad) person has to do with this?

Some posts are completely out of proportion.
If you think everything you see is truth, that is not healthy...nor is it truth.

In this case we have an accusation based on something the accuser can not possibly know. They can only report what they saw. The problem, and it is a character flaw, is when someone passes it off as truth instead of an observation and opinion.

"I saw the police do X..." You have no way of know that and such a person either has an agenda or a poor way of approaching many lifes issues.

"I saw the police doing X/it looked like, why...?" That is a person who actually seeks truth and understanding.

What is really sad is some people wont understand the difference.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM

502 posts, read 934,299 times
Hmm what about the FBI and sapd harrasing innocent citizens along culebra road just because they are brown? but the alleged group they were looking for was a white gang? Yeah that's been happening and a lot around this area....Be safe my cd friends and brush up on your rights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio