Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 AM

15 posts, read 62,391 times

Advertisements

I have to mention also that Windcrest does have 3 beautiful ponds that have walk ways and siting areas with well maintained green space around them. neighboring communities do come by just to use them and feed our ducks that locals have named and take care of. The speed limit is 20! nice for kids to feel safe in. Also, Windcrest is not in the fly over zone with noisey aircraft like the previous mentioned neighborhoods. This community is well established and second and third generations of the same family live here and know each other and their next door neighbors very well. Oh, Windcrest is across the street on the opposite side of Walzem. There are 4 pre-k schools (alot of people from Cibolo /Shertz bring there kids here)on Walzem close to Windsor mall,the planning commity along with investors is doing a major overhaul on shops, restaurants, and residential areas. Take a look at Windcrest and consider how close it is to work. There are alot of private schools to choose from if you want to do that, not to expensive. Hope this helps and take a look at the Windcrest web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 AM

90 posts, read 290,292 times
mamabecker -
That all really does sound quite positive towards the area, but what about the perception that I've picked up that the schools that service the Windcrest area are... lacking. That really IS a major concern of mine, and that's on top of perceived 'downturn' of the town/neighborhood, and an increase in crime (after all, isn't that partially what triggered much of the down turn over at the mall? Increased gang activity in and around the area and the associated crime).

Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
Hey Jerryg! Welcome to San Antonio. I think you'll be very happy there. I used to work/live in DC and had several clients in the Baltimore and the Ownings Mills area. Your trip in October will help solidify your choices.

Schertz/Cibolo seem to be very popular areas. Traffic might be a bear. I'm sure you're going to do this...but drive the route in the morning and see for yourself. Don't let anyone tell you traffic in SA is a breeze.

I personally don't care for Windcrest, though it is liked by several on this site.

Here's a wild card: Look at the Northwood area. Houses are older, but the lots are nice and big. The school district is good [Northeast]. Northwood, the elementary school, is run like a private academy. Don't know much about Garner, the middle school.

Best of luck!!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM

15 posts, read 62,391 times
Crime is not a problem in Windcrest. Windcrest is its own town. The Mall failed a long time ago (early 90's). Windcrest has a great police dept. and you can check out more info. on that subject by contacting the Windcrest city on their web site. We have lots of retired military and active San Antonio fire fighters living here. Cibolo/Schertz has active military that tend to move every 3 yrs. The Glen area had in the past, section eight houseing in it (600 families) ,and that seemed to be a big problem with crime. Now they have not renewed their leases and they have been forced to find houseing elsewhere. Yes, Northwood is a wondlerful neighborhood and school. This is where we did school choice. We are not moving there, because you get more house for the money in Windcrest and everything else mentioned previously. Northwood I believe are ranch style homes and built around the 1950's. Very nice peolpe but, it will cost you. Because of the revitalization that is happening, our homes are being appraised higher now. Get in before the cost is to high and more peolpe find out about us. Just like everywhere else good neighborhoods are surrounded by not so good. Windcrest is a town that is becoming home rule soon. That is get news and the community will have even more rights and control over their beloved city. We are also known for the big Christmas light up and great community spirt. I know I sound like I work for the city, but I am just a stay at home mom. I like the fact that my young children are safe and will have a wonderful childhood here like me,my husband, and our friends had here. Not to many places can offer that. Oh, we also have a community pool that offers wonderful swim lessons to kids ,tennis courts, and a nice golf course across from city hall.

Last edited by mamabecker; 09-24-2007 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
I always thought that Windcrest was just one notch below northwood, and that is coming from someone that went to Northwood, Garner, the DATA program at Roosevelt for 2.5 years and then MacArthur. Northwood is great, for a school that is 50+ years old now and inside the loop it's very small and has been constantly been rated exemplary or recognized. The crime aspect is a little hard to understand, WPM failed after some bad publicity after yes a gang driveby, but they were not local one was from the Judson area the other from the east side of San Antonio. At Roosevelt I never felt unsafe. We would frequent the Target on Walzem and many of the restaurants. I have to admit going east on Walzem to when it turns into montgomery rd gets bad, but for the most part that is going to be Judson ISD not Northeast.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,619 times
We live 1604/Bulverde (Fox Grove specifically) and hubby commutes to 410/Perrin Beitel - near where you are going to be working at Rackspace. His commute is 20 minutes or so, but avoids peak hours if possible. It's great because we are in NEISD schools, which are the best I believe. He also avoids the 281, and takes a back road to the 1604 (because Bulverde really backs up as well.)

Just my input, but not sure what your price range for homes are. I also agree with another poster about the Northwood area. It is a very nice area.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 PM

90 posts, read 290,292 times
I thought I mentioned my price range earlier, guess not, though -
I'm trying to stay under 200. 220 would be doable, but much more than that and I start feeling a bit...squeemish. That's not to say I couldn't afford more, but I'd rather not be house-poor.

I've been taking a second look at the areas north of 1604 and around 281. Pricing seems reasonable, and the schools are probably the best in an already good school district, from what I've been reading at the district's website.

Question, TurtleMom - what schools service Fox Grove? Do you know off-hand? I know I keep playing up the importance of schools with my search, but I have 2 kids, and quite frankly, it really IS that important to me. I'd have no problem sacrificing a longer commute to get them into the best possible schools.

Last edited by jerryg; 09-24-2007 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-25-2007, 12:48 PM

180 posts, read 793,995 times
I am reading this post with great interest because in my google search for "Rackspace Windcrest" this site came up and that is how I found this board.

We currently live in Converse and want to move as soon as possible. So jerryg, whatever you do, don't move there. (I shouldn't say that... apologies to those who live in Converse who I might offend.) Our neighborhood is going to the pits and we feel our HOA just collects our pricey dues and does little else. And we are really tired of living so close to our neighbors.

So we were looking at Windcrest as a possible place to move too. Especially with Rackspace coming. It seems to me that WC really has a very very proactive community who is fighting the good fight on keeping it nice. And that RS might be just what it needs to tip the scales.

mamabecker- thank you for your long and insightful posts. I hope others with opinions for or against WC will chime in too. You gave me a lot to think about. Especially if, as you say that the Section 8 homes won't be renewed.

We have spent a few weekends driving around in some parts. And the homes are nice. People smile and wave to you. And the homes aren't the same cookie cutter your house looks just like your neighbors house which is right beside if not on top of yours. It looks like for $200 - $250K you can get a nice house for the money. Our worry is that homes are nice but then just a few miles over you hit ghettoville. Anyone have any info on places to avoid or covet?

So jerryg, good luck! I hope you have a nice visit when you come in October and I would check out WC to see if it feels like home to you. Who knows, we might be neighbors one day.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
I thought I mentioned my price range earlier, guess not, though -
I'm trying to stay under 200. 220 would be doable, but much more than that and I start feeling a bit...squeemish. That's not to say I couldn't afford more, but I'd rather not be house-poor.

I've been taking a second look at the areas north of 1604 and around 281. Pricing seems reasonable, and the schools are probably the best in an already good school district, from what I've been reading at the district's website.

Question, TurtleMom - what schools service Fox Grove? Do you know off-hand? I know I keep playing up the importance of schools with my search, but I have 2 kids, and quite frankly, it really IS that important to me. I'd have no problem sacrificing a longer commute to get them into the best possible schools.
Ah yes, I see your price range in the first post - I am guilty of skimming the post rather than reading it completely

Elementary is Bulverde Creek - Middle is Tejeda and the High School is currently MacArthur, but will be the new Johnson HS next year. There will also be a new Elementary school near Cibolo Canyon and Bulverde Village, but I think Fox Grove will stay at Bulverde Creek. All of those schools are excellent (even though the new high school isn't rated yet, I have high hopes for it being as good as Reagan!)

To commute to where you want, you want to stay east of 281 in my opinion. There are some nice neighborhoods south of 1604 and in the NEISD, but they aren't as recognized of schools. There is also a neighborhood on Bulverde Rd - Bulverde Creek I think (the one that Bulverde Creek school is in) but you will have to fight some traffic going south on Bulverde Rd. It is one you can get into for less than $200K, Fox Grove is also around that amount as well (although you could spend more but you could find something in your price range.) The house across the street from me is going for around $220K I think and the same floor plan as mine - 2800 sq ft, 5 bedrooms (or 4 bedrooms 1 den) and 3 bath.

Last edited by Turtle_Mom; 09-25-2007 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Just a few ideas. The zip code is 78259 in this area that is east of 281 and north of 1604.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio