Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
"""My main point is that if I own the property, and there are no -health- issues arising from what I do on the property, then the neighbors can be stuffed.""""

Sorry to say this but,this is the typical Northeast/East Coast attitude and it doesn't fly around here.It's also precisely why we bought in a "restricted deed" community.

If this guy buys near you, then decides to do something crazy to his house that causes your property value to sink....don't say you weren't warned.
No kidding. I prefer a HOA to prevent irresponsible and lazy home owners from dragging down property values. If you take care of your house, keep your yard/driveway clear of junk and un needed vehicles - then you have nothing to fear from a strong HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:58 PM

90 posts, read 290,307 times
Who said I would be leaving 'junk' and dead cars lying around? That could easily be considered a health hazard, and I've already said that I don't have any sort of issue with being asked/ordered to remove that sort of thing.

About the craziest thing I'd do to my home would be related to paint colors, and I prefer stone (-real- stone, not brick, like the house I'm selling back east) which is kinda difficult to paint and make to look ugly in the first place.

Yes, I have a philosophical issue with HOAs and the entire notion that I 'need' my neighbors' permission to do something with my property, but that doesn't mean that I also don't see the usefulness of them and that I'd go out of my way to be an ass if I were subject to one.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,517 times
Hi
Could you eleborate on what your brother finds negative about Windcrest? I'm thinking about moving there and I want to know the good the bad and the ugly.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
I believe the sentiment was for the area around Windcrest (outside its city limits and inside SA city limits) and not Windcrest itself. I could be wrong though, however, I don't see how anyone could have a negative opinion about Windcrest itself. FYI, the city of SA, with help from Windcrest, are in the initial stages of major revitalization of the areas around Windcrest that have declined in the last couple of decades. It has begun with the Rackspace moving their NW side HQ to the Windsor Park Mall site. It will continue with the 300 acre mixed-use urban development just south of Rackspace's new HQ as well as continue with infrastructure improvements to not only 35 but also Walzem Road.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 PM

Shenane - Insomniac pretty much hit it on the button.
The main 'issue' with Windcrest are the communities around it, not Windcrest itself.
Myself, I'm actively watching the real estate market in Wincrest proper, as well as up 35 into NB. After going up and down 35 a couple of times, now, I could easily do that commute if we were to decide to build out that way. Personally, tho, I'd like to live close enough to the new HQ to walk or cycle to work. I could use the exercise...

Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Jerry, have you thought about renting until the first housing units of "Tech Town" are built next year?

Tech Town being the new urbanism mixed-use development played a stones throw south of the HQ? There will be condos and town homes as well as single family dwellings.

Tech Town - You can see the former Windsor Park Mall/new Rackspace HQ at top left.
http://www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com/images/08_SitePlanLG.jpg (broken link)

Neighborhood clusters
http://www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com/images/08_WesternSiteBlocksLG.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM

The thought has actually occurred to me, Insomniac. I don't know when they're breaking ground out there though - I think the goal is to get us over into the mall before they really kick off the development to the south, so I wouldn't expect any sort of groundbreaking in Tech Town until late 2008 at the earliest (unless you've heard differently - I've been a bit busy getting immersed in my job )

As it is, I'm likely to be renting into 2009. The place we're in now is a bit nicer than what I moved out of back east, although the traffic leaves something to be desired (it's no worse than I'm used to, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!)

Do you happen to have any links to information on Tech Town for other folks thinking about Windcrest, and for other future relocating Rackers to look at? There's a lot of us still to come

edit - See what happens when you reply quickly? ya miss the edits that add the pretty pictures lol Thanks for the additional info, Insomniac. I like how that looks (and it looks like Windcrest will be annexing more land off the east side? IIRC from looking at maps, that other yellow section is currently San Antonio, jah?)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
The thought has actually occurred to me, Insomniac. I don't know when they're breaking ground out there though - I think the goal is to get us over into the mall before they really kick off the development to the south, so I wouldn't expect any sort of groundbreaking in Tech Town until late 2008 at the earliest (unless you've heard differently - I've been a bit busy getting immersed in my job )
Ground is expected to break in February or March of 2008 with some residential units planned to be complete by this time next year.

Quote:
Do you happen to have any links to information on Tech Town for other folks thinking about Windcrest, and for other future relocating Rackers to look at? There's a lot of us still to come
All there is at this time is www.whatsnextforwindsorpark.com

Quote:
edit - See what happens when you reply quickly? ya miss the edits that add the pretty pictures lol Thanks for the additional info, Insomniac. I like how that looks (and it looks like Windcrest will be annexing more land off the east side? IIRC from looking at maps, that other yellow section is currently San Antonio, jah?)
Actually, both Windcrest and SA are embarking on developments in the Windcrest/Walzem area of northeast San Antonio. Both Windcrest and SA want the two different land sites to have a common theme in terms of the design and new urbanism layout. Which is why they both asked the same urban designer to charrette both parcels of land. Windcrest to the left "Tech town" and SA to the right with a more single family focused development.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Makes sense, to me.
Thanks for the info

(although that URL isn't working for me at the moment. much the pity.)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 PM

I posted the wrong URL in error. I left out the word park at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio