U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 PM

6,869 posts, read 10,364,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It also increases your home's taxable value. A permit enables the Assessment District to know what was added to the exterior without bothering to send a technician out to look at it. Gotta figure that was a factor.
dingdingding....folks, we have a winner!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,087,524 times
I am still at a loss. Is this something the City Council approved or did some nameless and faceless civil servant do this?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,583,465 times
The City of San Antonio made the changes and they are now using Google Earth too check all properties and up your taxes plus from talking to one of my friends at the appraisal district they are 65 percent completed.

They are doing this because they can no longer step foot on your property so either build where you have a lot of trees that can hide it or start planting trees or just go and get a permit along with your HOA ACC approval!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,087,524 times
Strange, I have always lived where there is no HOA approval needed. ON PURPOSE

I did not know the intrusive eye of "Big Brother" was provided by Google. Is it time for camouflaged tarps in the yard?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,554,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It also increases your home's taxable value. A permit enables the Assessment District to know what was added to the exterior without bothering to send a technician out to look at it. Gotta figure that was a factor.
As long as it's not attached to the house or on a permanent slab it should have no effect on a homes taxable value.

The fact that its being put in the backyard makes me question whether a permit is even required. Your best bet would be to call the appropriate city department and get the correct info first hand.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM

6,326 posts, read 7,511,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Strange, I have always lived where there is no HOA approval needed. ON PURPOSE

I did not know the intrusive eye of "Big Brother" was provided by Google. Is it time for camouflaged tarps in the yard?
Where I live has no HOA also and that is the way it should be. HOA is a waste of money and best suits people that want to tell others how to live on their own property.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Looks like San Antonio has finally joined the other big scumbag cities and now everything requires a permit except painting. Just another way of milking th citizens outa money. Last time I was downtown to pick up a permit, it was a half day wait. Best of luck getting one now. Per the above linky:

When do I need a permit?
A permit will be required when any construction work is conducted. Electrical, plumbing and mechanical permitting should be acquired by the contractor. Permits are required for all sidewalk and driveway approach work.
What kind of permit do I need?
If you are building more than 100 sq ft or moving walls or doors, a building permit is required. Homeowners (owners) can obtain building permits and hire licensed contractors to perform the work. Homeowners can obtain a home repair permit, plumbing and mechanical permit to perform repairs or replace fixtures in a single family home. Electrical repairs must be performed by a licensed electrical contractor.
I wouldn't doubt that you need a permit for painting also. Seems like I read something about the city needing to inspect to see that all lead paint chips were properly collected and disposed of. I'd say as far as city permits go I would just whup that thing up in the backyard before anybody sees what you are doing and don't tell nobody nothing. If the OP has a snoopy HOA they will find out and make them take it down if they don't like it so they better check on that.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,097 posts, read 35,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
It's not primarily from Google. Their satellite photos aren't updated frequently enough.

The assessment district commissions its own aerial photography sweep of the entire county every year for a property-by-property review. Tarps will probably just lead to a visit from Homeland Security.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM

4,290 posts, read 8,893,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I wouldn't doubt that you need a permit for painting also. Seems like I read something about the city needing to inspect to see that all lead paint chips were properly collected and disposed of. I'd say as far as city permits go I would just whup that thing up in the backyard before anybody sees what you are doing and don't tell nobody nothing. If the OP has a snoopy HOA they will find out and make them take it down if they don't like it so they better check on that.
We needed a permit for painting the exterior (also HDRC approval but that's different). We used to joke that we needed a permit to change a light bulb - permits seem to be required for everything. And yes, the county assesses increased value based on permits pulled. We just went through this, so make sure if you pull a permit you complete the work (we didn't but they assumed we did and upped our value based on the permit).

I'm willing to bet you need a permit for the pergola. However, if it's not visible from the street, chances are it won't matter unless someone turns you in. If you do have an HOA, though, I would be more concerned about them than the city.

Appropriate office is the Development office on S. Alamo and S. Flores streets, south of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio