Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,780,436 times

Advertisements

Speaking from a "non military, and never was" point of view. We back up to the utility easement. When we moved here 2 years ago, our fence already looked like hell. I figure "OK,I'll just replace the entire fence"...including the 2 sides that I share with neighbors (nice of me, huh?)...but NOOOOOOOO..both neighbors told me that if I do that, then the remainder of their fence is still going to look like hell.
I think that there are financial issues with both of them (both military) otherwise, they need to step it up.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

86 posts, read 174,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Speaking from a "non military, and never was" point of view. We back up to the utility easement. When we moved here 2 years ago, our fence already looked like hell. I figure "OK,I'll just replace the entire fence"...including the 2 sides that I share with neighbors (nice of me, huh?)...but NOOOOOOOO..both neighbors told me that if I do that, then the remainder of their fence is still going to look like hell.
I think that there are financial issues with both of them (both military) otherwise, they need to step it up.
Your so right.....I Thank you for doing your part - now if we can only get the rest of the community to share in those same sentiments and ethics. Why can't people see their community is a reflection of themselves. This is not a country club where the HOA provides us with Ala Carte menu's like the Del Webb retirement center with $2,000 a year fees. We still get a lot of bang for our buck here; not to mention the friendly atmosphere - that to me (as the commercial says) is "priceless"!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,428 times
CH1960 -I'll tell you why people can't or won't see this community as a reflection of themselves. They are not going to be here long enough. We built new here in 1999 and as I stated we OWN our home and damn the grass feels good to the feet. Since 1999 the home to the west of us has had four owners and with each one comes a neighbor that is alot more lazy than the one prior. Again its because this is just a short stop then off to the next city. So why take the time to take pride?

Last edited by wellguy; 07-09-2009 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,623,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH1960 View Post
Bingo - Helloooooooo, I totally agree. You own the house, the plot, the fence - take responsibility for what you own. I maintain, repair and replace my own fence. Why should I have to pay for someone who doesn't have enough pride in their own property. Most of us in this community are military and accustomed to following regulations and rules that protect our assets. It's all about respect for yourself and your neighbors. We all have an investment in the main streets. You "own" your fence - what part of English do people not understand that concept!
You can not blame the HOA because some people choose NOT to maintain their fence! To keep it fair across the board - hold people accountable to their responsibilities. The HOA is not a welfare institution - your community is what "You" put into it! Keep up your end of the fences; maybe the slackers will follow. I want this community to shine - not turn into a slum - we all need to hold ourselves to a standard of accountabilty. This is my community and I plan on doing my part to keep it respectable so my children would want to come back and raise their children here!
Although I agree with your first part, I believe that the HOA is taking on a bigger task of enforcing fence repair on the main streets. In the past, CCR (Article V, Para 5.02, sub para D) stated that one of the purposes of assessments was for maintenance of privacy fences abutting a major street. To ensure uniformity of fences along major streets, they took it upon themselves to pay 50% of the maintenance cost. This year they budgeted $48,000. Now, they are redefining the maintenance to only include staining and removing graffiti. IMO, this has largely come about due to higher costs and many fences are in bad shape, not to mention that there is more fence footage since the last time they did this several years ago. They waited too long and the fences deteriorated to the state they are in now. If you like it or not, the current owners were under the assumption that 50% of the cost would be borne by the HOA and now all of a sudden that has changed. You are going to have a lot of battles between home owners and the HOA, and homes that are rented will be even harder to enforce. You're going to have some ugly fence sections while this is being resolved on a case-by-case basis.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,381,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH1960 View Post
Your so right.....I Thank you for doing your part - now if we can only get the rest of the community to share in those same sentiments and ethics. Why can't people see their community is a reflection of themselves. This is not a country club where the HOA provides us with Ala Carte menu's like the Del Webb retirement center with $2,000 a year fees. We still get a lot of bang for our buck here; not to mention the friendly atmosphere - that to me (as the commercial says) is "priceless"!
Actually, Del Webb fees are $105 per home per month...we are aware because of our pending move there. I currently live in Westcreek and pay $67 (or there abouts, I don't remember, pay by the year) each quarter.

With Del Webb, I can tell you where the fees go (2 outdoor pools, indoor pool, gym with all precor equipment, pooltables, flatscreen tvs)...sorry but other than the pools and only when they are operational, it is difficult to see where the $$ taken in over the years has been spent wisely here in as far as required upkeep. JMHO.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,428 times
Steel Man -I couldn't agree with you more. The BOD and Fence Committee messed this one up by allowing the fences to deteriorate and yes they knew a LOT of money would have to be spent. To rectify their error they made a crappy decision.
After calming down last night I gave this some thought. The money saved will be spent on the Attorney Fee's to enforce upon the poorly maintained fences. I will sit back and see if their "New Plan" works.
Military Drive and Westcreek Oaks are "High Profile" areas and if the fence appearances decline so does the subdivision. Now I can proudly say that the BOD / HOA does nothing to keep property values up and "Help Keep Westcreek Beautiful".
You simply cannot change the "Rules" midstream. Now the HOA willl have more money to spend on weanies for the Annual Picnic that we have never attended but continue to help pay for. Some of the saved money will have to be spent on training the Standards Monitors to learn how to spot a bad fence. Hell they can't even spot a poorly maintained yard.
I assure you all this will not work and again I mean no disrespect to you that have been given the VOWC BOD Chorizo.

If you all will excuse me I have to go purchase a new dictionary to clarify the definition of the word "Maintenance". I sure hope the edition that the Fence Committee and BOD used is not sold out.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,271,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Actually, Del Webb fees are $105 per home per month...we are aware because of our pending move there. I currently live in Westcreek and pay $67 (or there abouts, I don't remember, pay by the year) each quarter.

With Del Webb, I can tell you where the fees go (2 outdoor pools, indoor pool, gym with all precor equipment, pooltables, flatscreen tvs)...sorry but other than the pools and only when they are operational, it is difficult to see where the $$ taken in over the years has been spent wisely here in as far as required upkeep. JMHO.
one of the rare times I would trade my age for yours
I don't blame you one bit for moving and hopefully the values here don't go down too low. This place has definitely taken several turns for the worse.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

Your right - We almost bought a house there for my mother. Visited a few times and also took my friends on the tour. Nice layout - gorgeous facilities - but you do pay for it. I was told that you also pay for "grounds maintenance fees" which is separate.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Steel Man -I couldn't agree with you more. The BOD and Fence Committee messed this one up by allowing the fences to deteriorate and yes they knew a LOT of money would have to be spent. To rectify their error they made a crappy decision.
After calming down last night I gave this some thought. The money saved will be spent on the Attorney Fee's to enforce upon the poorly maintained fences. I will sit back and see if their "New Plan" works.
Military Drive and Westcreek Oaks are "High Profile" areas and if the fence appearances decline so does the subdivision. Now I can proudly say that the BOD / HOA does nothing to keep property values up and "Help Keep Westcreek Beautiful".
You simply cannot change the "Rules" midstream. Now the HOA willl have more money to spend on weanies for the Annual Picnic that we have never attended but continue to help pay for. Some of the saved money will have to be spent on training the Standards Monitors to learn how to spot a bad fence. Hell they can't even spot a poorly maintained yard.
I assure you all this will not work and again I mean no disrespect to you that have been given the VOWC BOD Chorizo.

If you all will excuse me I have to go purchase a new dictionary to clarify the definition of the word "Maintenance". I sure hope the edition that the Fence Committee and BOD used is not sold out.
No disrespect - hmmmmn, you sound a little hot under the collar....

Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM

On a more positive note.....did you all notice some new trees where planted at the community center? It also looks like another project is going on behind the community center as well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio