Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times

Advertisements

No, the water treatment plant is on the NE corner of Culebra and 1604, behind that Walgreens.
I know they are building a storage thing somewhere around there and I'm not happy to see that at all. Who uses those things anyhow? there's like a billion of them here and I've never met anyone that actually uses one.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:59 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,811,442 times
Well, unless you've had family move in with you for whatever reason, I just don't see why there are so many storage areas. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize if I do, but if you've got so much stuff it can't fit in your house, then maybe it's time to get rid of stuff. For me, I guess it just comes with nearly 37 years of moving around as a military dependent--you can only take what you're allowed and the rest has to go.

Sort of funny story...I was driving down an access road one day...I think on 410 maybe. There's a storage place and I was watching some people open the door and they (there were 3 of them) were all literally having to stand there with arms outstretched to keep things from falling out when they opened the door.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM

I've been maximizing my trash allowance lately and getting rid of a lot of crap I don't need. I also don't need to store it for a day that will never come..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
RIGHT BEHIND the Walgreens? There was some talk about an "anchor" store and several small stores along with part of that being an apartment. I think its 135 acres...joins Walgreens.
Is that true? I thought it was going to be some water plant...gosh. More stores?

I'm outta here!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Well, unless you've had family move in with you for whatever reason, I just don't see why there are so many storage areas. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize if I do, but if you've got so much stuff it can't fit in your house, then maybe it's time to get rid of stuff.
I agree. However, in Austin some musicians use them to jam out of. I used to have a storage place in Austin and I'd see some guys playing music in the one next to me. Said their parents/neighbors kicked them out.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
No, the water treatment plant is on the NE corner of Culebra and 1604, behind that Walgreens.
I know they are building a storage thing somewhere around there and I'm not happy to see that at all. Who uses those things anyhow? there's like a billion of them here and I've never met anyone that actually uses one.
You sure they're not just dumping more dirt/rocks in that area? Lots of little hills there now, just like the area south on Loop 1604 near the two bridges before you get to that new signal.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,847,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I've been maximizing my trash allowance lately and getting rid of a lot of crap I don't need. I also don't need to store it for a day that will never come..
Well nationwide, the news keeps reporting how yard sales are really on the increase as people need extra cash and others need to find bargains...not here in WC though since we aren't allow to have yard sales! Oh, what other freedoms can we let dwindle away???

Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 AM

well, I was driving by so I couldn't tell if they were coming or going. There weren't many trees back there, though, and I'm pretty sure that hasn't always been the case.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times
Here you go, my friend.

8126.02 delete $4,000 (let the standards coordinators deliver newsletter vice mailing it)

Already being done. I agree, drop the 4K.

8127.02 delete $4,000 (drop all the pretty color printing but still get the info out)

This is ticky-tack. I'll agree though...I'm sure some folks will complain that it'll look like an amateur production.

8128 delete $168,000 (after one-time payoff of Community Center; estimated interest savings of $50,000 annually)

We went over this already. We simply don't know the dynamics here.

8131.03 delete $5,000 (what in the world are we paying for at $7K a year in phones?)

This I would like to know as well. My research didn't produce much...but then again, I've been to 3 different cities since you posted that budget and spent too much time in meetings . I'm still in Washington, DC as I write this.
We simply don't know (and I don't know if we ever will) how it's spent, although the number does sound high.

8140.06 delete $8,000 (too many employees, probably could cut more than $8K in taxes)

I don't believe that we have too many employees, will go into further below. I'm still unsure of some folks actual duties though.

8212.02 delete $32,000 (one admin assistant should be plenty with the work load)
Do you know what the work load consists of? I'm being serious.It could be warranted, then again, maybe it's not. To blindly cut is easy, but we'd have to live with the results, including the resulting decline in staff morale etc..

8212.03 delete $8,800 (why do you need an assistant Standards Coordinator? The manager or assistant manager should be able to cover absences.)

I could live with this, provided there are no insurance issues that would result from the action.

8220.02 delete $3,000 (most, if not all training should be available locally)

I don't get it...this doesn't seem to have anything to do with training. Maybe you meant 8220.03 which is 8K for travel expenses. I agree that we could/should cut that.

8220.06 delete $1,000 (unneeded training is provided to employees that don’t require it)
Serious here again, do you know what is being provided here? I'm inclined to think that there is some insurance liability requirement that they need to satisfy. I can't say "delete" unless you provide new information that I'm not aware of.

8220.13 delete $500 (signs are unattractive and against SA guidelines – even for WC)
I agree...no argument from me here.

8220.15 delete $1,200 (plenty of full time employees to cover this action)

I agree, I could handle this layout rather easily.

8221, 8221.01, 8221.02 delete $20,500 (Standards Monitors already covered; Maintenance covered in a later line in the budget)

This is another thing that I was researching, but have gotten no calls back. These seem like specific contracts...not ordinary maintenance or standards monitoring. Couldn't determine that for sure...but it's a good bet.

8230.01 delete $2,400 (needs to be defined)

Yes, it does need to be defined, but I could believe that there is at least this amount in loss (how much of it is uninsured would be the issue)

8230.05 delete $4,700 (Bexar County owns the roads and does this as needed)

I travel extensively and am not home to see it , so I couldn't tell you who is/isn't doing the job...so I'll go on your word.

8230.08 delete $1,000 (employees should cover this as they are monitoring parties)

As long as there isn't any insurance exposure, I agree.

8230.09 delete $12,000 (employees can clean the office once a week)

Once a week isn't enough. Rest rooms too? Can't agree here..sorry. Besides, you've already diminished morale by cutting staff, now you want them to clean their office as well. Slave driver. This ain't the military.

8320.09 delete $35,000 (still leaves $13,000 for cleaning of major street fences; these are no longer to be replaced by HOA)

Now that it has been determined that the HOA will not be responsible for the major street fences, let's take this money and use it to pave those hideous sand parking lots ...you know the ones...the sports park and the clubhouse extended parking areas.

8320.10 delete $1,000 (How is this different from maintenance? County or CPS owns the electrical easements)

Needs to be clarified before I can comment.

8320.16 (pay it off and delete it; stop paying interest)

Is this a specially outfitted truck that WC has to borrow every once in a while? If it is (which I suspect that it is) then it could be a very costly one.

8411.02 delete $39,520 (The HOA is not a recreation department. One coordinator should be able to set up events without residents funding a YMCA.)

This is where we start to get into the deep water. I happen to like the scope of the programs (and I don't even use them). I think they're great for the community as a whole...and to be able to provide without jacking the dues through the roof (currently $280/annum) is even better. I think it's an accomplishment. This is one of those added benefits of having 3000+ homes in your HOA.

8420.01 delete $3,000 (allowed events listed below in budget)

I'm curious as to what examples can be shown for previous years. Otherwise, I would tend to agree with you.

8420.04 delete $1,000 (residents shouldn’t have to pay since they are restricted from having sales at their homes by the HOA)

Can't agree here. If you 're going to provide the programs, go all the way...not some half- *ssed effort. This is ticky tack as well. Nickel and diming.

8420.06 delete $2,000 (allowed events listed in other budget lines)

Agree here..should be included in the other budget lines.

8420.08, .09, .10, .12, .13, .16, .17 delete $1,800 (participants should pay their own way, not the HOA)

I don't agree. If you're going to provide the programs...provide the programs. This is the deep water again...a lot of folks on both sides.

8430 delete $2,500 (covered in 8230.06)

I agree.

Total to delete from budget: $360,920
Budget cut by 30%

Summary- While I agree with you on some things...there are obvious differences.
You seem to want to reduce the amount of dues that the homeowners pay. I say we work smarter not cheaper, and provide/obtain more for the same amount of money. The dues are already amongst the lowest in the area. (Here's one for ya'..one of my rentals in Socal has a $315/month HOA fee..youch.
I would love to see a better quality fencing being used throughout WC.
Also, as I mentioned, I would love those parking lots paved and I would also love additional street lights,speed bumps (in strategic spots) and additional patrols by Bexar County police.
This being said, I've only been here 2 years...and I don't know how much longer we're going to be here (we're not very fond of SA...but I don't go around slamming it either. It is, what it is.
We only moved here from SoCal because my wife has/had some elderly family in MTY (still 1 left). We can live anywhere.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,729 times
Good Evening-

When I drove into Westcreek this evening I took the back way in off of Potranco. I don't get down that way much since we (my wife and I) don't use the SportsPark. I glanced over at the parking area where the natural area was cleared. Should that have been done? Is it utilized enough to warrant it? I'm sure I saw a pile or two of branches. Has that turned into another dumping ground for lazy neighbors / outsiders or is from the HOA Maintenance Staff?

*rd2007 -You know that I'm in agreement with you on the budget issues. The other day I mentioned to our Son that the HOA spends all that money for cleaning the Office. Before I said anything further he asked why the staff could not clean it? He has been inside the building and it appears that this task would not hurt anyone. Can it get that dirty?
I know that parking area is not new but like I said I don't get down that way very much and if I do I'm watching the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio