Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I don't know if this is along a similiar line or not but my daughter and a neighborhood friend came up with the idea of raising money to donate to the Humane Society last year (no water restrictions btw). They wanted to wash cars, which seemed harmless enough to me so we gave them the green light to do it. They spent a few hours of one afternoon washing the cars of folks passing through. In the following days we got a letter from the HOA threatening to 'lawyer us up' if it happened again.
Those BUTTS. They have no say what we do in the streets. The only Authority that anyone would have to worry about in a case like this would be SAWS since Charity Car Washes have to be held at SAWS approved locations. I would never tell. I'm all for helping out anyone and a great cause. All the hard work was not to earn money but to raise money and then donate it.

I guess no one can have a Tupperware , Mary Kay, Avon, Pampered Chef Party. They are all businesses, making someone some money, and the transactions are being made inside of ones home.

Again they were BUTTS. I'm sure the number of cars that were washed was minimal and that the neighbors didn't mind. Well I guess someone had a thorn up their tale end and reported the event to the HOA. I'm willing to fight fire with fire. I'll see if the HOA obtains a Food Service Permit when we have the next Annual Picnic.

Sometimes the HOA puts their snout where it does not belong. Case and Point. I'm 49 years old and no I don't know everything, nor will I ever. I do know that there is a Leash Law in Bexar County. A couple of years ago our dog ran out of the backyard due to me leaving the gate open. Well she pissed in a neighbors yard. He became upset and we got into a shouting match which I later regretted. There's something about a Man and his Dog. Anyway he contacted the HOA who sent me a letter concerning the Leash Law. It was worded in such a way that they thought they could enforce it. I was extremely pissed so I called the VOWC Hotline and cussed them out. There is no doubt I burned a bridge by doing that. But their arrogance was unacceptable.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
The Health and Safety Fair is open right now! Come out and meet your neighbors!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Good Afternoon All,

As gwrober stated the Health and Safety Fair Event was today. Although not every exibitor showed up there was lots great information that was given out, questions answered, and information shared.

Ken did a GREAT JOB in organizing the event. I was impressed with AirFlight or AirLife (I'm not sure now) coming out and landing in the SportsPark. I wasn't able to see it upclose since I was manning a table and busy talking with the others.

It was unfortunate that more neighbors didn't show up. I know there will another one next year and I would like to suggest you all come.

By the way there was no charge for this Event, as far as those that set up a table. Thanks for that VOWC HOA and BOD.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Good Afternoon All,

As gwrober stated the Health and Safety Fair Event was today. Although not every exibitor showed up there was lots great information that was given out, questions answered, and information shared.

Ken did a GREAT JOB in organizing the event. I was impressed with AirFlight or AirLife (I'm not sure now) coming out and landing in the SportsPark. I wasn't able to see it upclose since I was manning a table and busy talking with the others.

It was unfortunate that more neighbors didn't show up. I know there will another one next year and I would like to suggest you all come.

By the way there was no charge for this Event, as far as those that set up a table. Thanks for that VOWC HOA and BOD.
I agree. Ken knows the value of hard work!

I am really disappointed that we didn't get more residents out. Ken got frickin' Air Life to land in the Sports Park for crying out loud!!! And only a handful of people got to see it, most of which were the NJHS students from Luna.

Seriously?? Everyone whines and complains about the neighborhood doesn't do this or that, but when they DO something completely FREE that took a ton of work to put together, and only crickets show up. Unbelievable.

It was really cool watching Air Life flying around the SP before landing. The kids that did get to see it were just amazed, and the soccer kids got to stop practice for a HELICOPTER LANDING IN THE FIELD! It was awesome seeing their faces!

GVVFD was out with several trucks, and every one of those guys were top notch and super nice.

The Bloodmobile was there too. The 3 folks that signed up for donating early didn't show up, but they got 9 other donors, and missed a couple of late arrivals. They even stayed about an hour later than planned.

All the vendors we got to talk to were awesome. Walgreens had several people on hand for flu shots. RBFCU was there. Kickin2BFit was there. Spectrum, Bexar County, COP, SAWS, ADT, MD Systems...amazingly my kid kept me pretty busy and I didn't get to talk to everyone!

We took some pics, I'll try to link them here if I have some 'web friendly' ones!

Maybe next time we'll have more participation. But, seeing as we've been involved in many, many events in WC, I doubt it. This is a recurring theme, unless there's alcohol involved, and even then it's slim. COP had a table, and the only people I saw at the table were the existing COP volunteers.

Thx Ken, guyo, wellguy - good seeing you guys today...

Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I agree. Ken knows the value of hard work!

I am really disappointed that we didn't get more residents out. Ken got frickin' Air Life to land in the Sports Park for crying out loud!!! And only a handful of people got to see it, most of which were the NJHS students from Luna.

Seriously?? Everyone whines and complains about the neighborhood doesn't do this or that, but when they DO something completely FREE that took a ton of work to put together, and only crickets show up. Unbelievable.

It was really cool watching Air Life flying around the SP before landing. The kids that did get to see it were just amazed, and the soccer kids got to stop practice for a HELICOPTER LANDING IN THE FIELD! It was awesome seeing their faces!

GVVFD was out with several trucks, and every one of those guys were top notch and super nice.

The Bloodmobile was there too. The 3 folks that signed up for donating early didn't show up, but they got 9 other donors, and missed a couple of late arrivals. They even stayed about an hour later than planned.

All the vendors we got to talk to were awesome. Walgreens had several people on hand for flu shots. RBFCU was there. Kickin2BFit was there. Spectrum, Bexar County, COP, SAWS, ADT, MD Systems...amazingly my kid kept me pretty busy and I didn't get to talk to everyone!

We took some pics, I'll try to link them here if I have some 'web friendly' ones!

Maybe next time we'll have more participation. But, seeing as we've been involved in many, many events in WC, I doubt it. This is a recurring theme, unless there's alcohol involved, and even then it's slim. COP had a table, and the only people I saw at the table were the existing COP volunteers.

Thx Ken, guyo, wellguy - good seeing you guys today...
Nicely Said. It is a shame that more folks did not attend. but hopefully next year there will be a larger turnout. This was too great of a event to go by the wayside if there is no interest. I got side tracked a few times talking too much, but that's my downside. *Was this open to the public (residents outside of VOWC) as far as attending? It may something to consider for next year. All the Agencies 'and Businesses' could highly benefit as well as those stopping by. Just a thought.

I felt especially great when a bought a soda and gave a nine dollar tip. Thanks guyo. I'm now looking forward to the next time I can buy more soda's, oh and maybe a candy bar!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Nicely Said. It is a shame that more folks did not attend. but hopefully next year there will be a larger turnout. This was too great of a event to go by the wayside if there is no interest. I got side tracked a few times talking too much, but that's my downside. *Was this open to the public (residents outside of VOWC) as far as attending? It may something to consider for next year. All the Agencies 'and Businesses' could highly benefit as well as those stopping by. Just a thought.

I felt especially great when a bought a soda and gave a nine dollar tip. Thanks guyo. I'm now looking forward to the next time I can buy more soda's, oh and maybe a candy bar!
I was under the impression that it was open to the public.

Also, they were collecting for the SA Food Bank, and unfortunately didn't get very much. Sad.

We've held business expos in the CC several times, open to the public, but mostly as a service to WC residents. While the vendors were great, the attendance was poor. Only the first one was heavy.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,288 times
Not sure how much it would have helped but I bet there are lots of people who didn't know it was happening at all. Communication is difficult when depending on the newsletter and paper signs. Another reason to call for a few electronic boards at the major entrances. Also, bad timing in that Texas was playing football. There is always less traffic on the roads when the right teams are playing football. I'm sure there was some great booths and info out there but I don't think this type of activity will ever stand on its own to draw big crowds. It was billed as a health and safety day...it just wont draw people out. Most of the time you'll see large crowds at other events where a safety display is there as a sideshow vice being the main attraction. I'm not saying the idea is bad at all...it just doesn't come across as a big entertainment thing which is what will draw people.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I was under the impression that it was open to the public.

Also, they were collecting for the SA Food Bank, and unfortunately didn't get very much. Sad.

We've held business expos in the CC several times, open to the public, but mostly as a service to WC residents. While the vendors were great, the attendance was poor. Only the first one was heavy.
I saw the drop off for the Food Bank as I walked inside and gosh I felt really bad. I meant to call my Wife or Son so they could bring down some canned goods but I was occupied with the fact that I locked my keys in my SAWS Pickup.
We will be collecting for the Food Bank at work here very soon. I'll make it a point to give more.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Not sure how much it would have helped but I bet there are lots of people who didn't know it was happening at all. Communication is difficult when depending on the newsletter and paper signs. Another reason to call for a few electronic boards at the major entrances. Also, bad timing in that Texas was playing football. There is always less traffic on the roads when the right teams are playing football. I'm sure there was some great booths and info out there but I don't think this type of activity will ever stand on its own to draw big crowds. It was billed as a health and safety day...it just wont draw people out. Most of the time you'll see large crowds at other events where a safety display is there as a sideshow vice being the main attraction. I'm not saying the idea is bad at all...it just doesn't come across as a big entertainment thing which is what will draw people.
Very good points. It has been on the website for some time now, but I do realize not everyone checks it! We should bring these to Ken's attention - I'm sure he'd love the feedback!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Pic from the fair today! AirLife touching down in the Sports Park, and the Bloodmobile!
Attached Thumbnails
Villages of Westcreek-image_356-small-.jpg   Villages of Westcreek-image_357-small-.jpg   Villages of Westcreek-image_358-small-.jpg   Villages of Westcreek-image_370-small-.jpg   Villages of Westcreek-image_371-small-.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio