Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 05:46 PM

15 posts, read 27,556 times

Advertisements

Which temp agencies would you recommend for the following scenarios for someone moving to town:

1. Looking for work for any time for any duration, but needing continuous assignments with no more than a few days off between them. The thought here is to try on different types of companies for size and learn how different things are handled there.

2. Looking for a more permanent placement. The thought here is to get a "real job" ASAP.

One person is looking for an HR or contracts administration job and the other is looking for either entry level accounting or manual labor and either scenario would be good for them both.

Also, do agencies look down on people who do not drive if they can get to an assignment by bus? There is no budget for a car just yet, so the position would have to be downtown or near a bus line. It wasn't a problem where they lived before, but I know things are different here regarding the non-driver perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
keystaff staffing got me into a temp city/government job/
possibly being considered for full time.
right in the heart of down town

theres usuually alot of openings

Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,708 times
not wanting to highjack this thread... but...

I'm looking to move to the SA area and would like to have a job lined up BEFORE I get there, but if I don't... is there much success in using a Temp Angency? Are they successful in placing you ASAP?

I need to have a job or at least an acceptance letter with a wage agreement before I can get an apartment (certain ones at least). I'm planning on staying in short-term stay until I can get things set up. Hopefully a week or two.

Is this wishfull thinking?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 AM

130 posts, read 253,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl View Post

I'm looking to move to the SA area and would like to have a job lined up BEFORE I get there, but if I don't... is there much success in using a Temp Angency? Are they successful in placing you ASAP?

I need to have a job or at least an acceptance letter with a wage agreement before I can get an apartment (certain ones at least). I'm planning on staying in short-term stay until I can get things set up. Hopefully a week or two.

Yes, it is wishful thinking.

Alot of Jobs require that you have " reliable transportation".

The thinking of using the "bus line" or public transportation is seriously bad thinking, because this is San Antonio, and for future insight about looking for temp jobs, you are going to have to do alot of traveling. Seriously, alot.

If you can afford to stay downtown, and/or live downtown, then there are some local temp positions that you can probably find.

Quote:
HR or contracts administration job and the other is looking for either entry level accounting
Entry Level accounting is actually in demand, and are more likely to get hired for a "temp to hire". However, experience is needed. BTW, For alot of these temp jobs, you might have a college education, but if you don't have the 5-10 years of experience, you are more than likely not going to get the job.

I recommend Express Pro, and Tri-Starr Professionals.

If you have any accounting experience, PM me, and I might be able to forward you some job leads that might help secure you a position before you move.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 7,708 times
Unlike the OP's persons - I do have reliable transportation.

I'm running into the fact that no one wants to interview me because I'm located in Idaho... I have offered via skype or sattelite connections through local offices, but the few HR people I have talked to said it isn't worth their effort when there were a lot of local applicants. I have over 12 years working for County governement and BS degree - I'm currently employed but I really didn't want to leave until I have at least a job offer. If I have to move without a job I will, but is money is only finite - so I can only afford to live a few months without employment.

Thanks for the temp agencies suggestions, I'm going to start calling them and see if they will work with me. With a job offer I could be in SA within a week.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Get a San Antonio PO Box or find someone that will let you use their address.

Strategically time your applications so that your interviews will line up.

Hop on an airplane as needed.

That's how I did it.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drankthetea View Post
Also, do agencies look down on people who do not drive if they can get to an assignment by bus? There is no budget for a car just yet, so the position would have to be downtown or near a bus line. It wasn't a problem where they lived before, but I know things are different here regarding the non-driver perception.
Some of them may ask depending on the assignment. I don't tell if I'm not asked (this was when I was a college student temping between semesters). All the temp agency needed to know from me is that I could get to the work assignment on time and be reliable and and as long as I didn't need my own vehicle for the assignment. I pretty much had all the bus routes memorized and could figure out by the details in the temp agencies assignment whether it was a doable bus route for me.
I also did interview with temp agencies using the bus but I had plenty of time to do so after the semester was over. Not easy to do when you've got a job and are looking for another. Hope that helps.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 AM

146 posts, read 246,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl View Post

This is a catch22, and a tough situation, but if you're committed to being here, i would just come.

When someone needs a temp, they typically need them right away. My experience temping was years ago, but i would get a call the afternoon before asking if I could show up at 8am the next morning.

Smaller apartment complexes or owner-managed duplexes, etc. Are probably less-stringent on job requirements than large corporate-owned complexes. You could also try an extended-stay hotel for a month before finding more permanent digs.

At the very least, i agree with the poster about getting a po box, or even better, a private mailbox (like mailboxes etc) that has a street address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio