Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
To describe N.W. San Antonio in those terms is a complete divorce from reality.These people are both misinformed and plainly have never been to a foreign country where anything really goes.
To describe N.W. San Antonio, tx like that proves this.
I sure would love to drop them off out of an automobile in certain areas of East Detroit, Mi about 2:00 A.M. and see if this doesn't change their minds. Sitting behind a computer screen and penning garbage is a lot easier than dealing truth.
I am sure this experience would be a life changing event for them. To mention nothing of improvement of their sprinting skills. In 2011 Detroit alone , not the suburbs, had 360 unsolved murder cases. Les Harrison isn't a bad neighborhood in comparison, at all.
That post was utter nonsense. Remember the terms Garbage in-Garbage out for computer gibberish ? Regardless if it was Opinion of N.W. San Antonio or not it was B.S.
I really don't understand why my post was quoted. If you look over crime maps (I think Kens had one a while back) the 78207 area (which I was referring to) has some of the highest crime in the city. And the Culebra/1604 area wasn't the best on the map. I think many of us know that the poorest areas of the city may not compare to other parts of the country. I never compared any of these areas to those you cited. It was my opinion as well. I have never called anyone else's opinion garbage. I would appreciate the same respect from other posters here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times
Default Sorry,

I must have not made myself clear, Ashbeigh, your post was reasonably put, I agreed with it.
Excuse me if I caused confusion on your part. No it was the posters who were so unreasonable as to call our northwest side ."the worst area" in the country. Moderator cut: orphaned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I really don't understand why my post was quoted. If you look over crime maps (I think Kens had one a while back) the 78207 area (which I was referring to) has some of the highest crime in the city. And the Culebra/1604 area wasn't the best on the map. I think many of us know that the poorest areas of the city may not compare to other parts of the country. I never compared any of these areas to those you cited. It was my opinion as well. I have never called anyone else's opinion garbage. I would appreciate the same respect from other posters here.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 03:43 PM

19 posts, read 47,022 times
Quote:
No it was the posters who were so unreasonable as to call our northwest side ."the worst area" in the country. Moderator cut: orphaned
Please look at a map.

There is nothing "north" in any sense or connotation of that word about the Alamo Ranch area.

Far west side, outer west side..whatever you want to say..it is the west side of San Antonio.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 06-17-2012, 04:48 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,845 times
I've shopped and dined in that area many times and never had any problems. I can only discuss the facts that I personally know to be true.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times
Default Semantics,

Oh yes, it is, Alamo Ranch is in the northern half of San Antonio. Just a minute, let me see, the Original Alamo- downtown, Alamo Ranch, yes I've got it now. I was from the southeast side of San Antonio.
I don't need a map.
Nor G.P.S. Nor. nonsense.
In Any sense or connotation,whoa, big words. Don't know if I can comprehend such linguistic art, they may just be beyond me. I was very impressed with your command of the language, however it is West. Yes. But it simply isn't remotely as horrible an area as some of these linguistic artists posting today here make it out to be. As I mainained before earlier today, there are far, far worse areas. It is a cakewalk through there, compared to some very,very economically hard hit areas, far worse living conditions exist here in the U.S.
I used to live off Les Harrison, years ago. Couple of fellow posters here at this forum, live there still.
Ask a few questions of them. Hill Country Rodman and others have already I made entries about how bad it is there, how downhill it has gone in the Les Harrison Street area. It was a sort of humorous exchange but it was about this topic.
It is not near as bad as descibed here earlier on. Or even close. To even enter such preposterously false information is B.S., a waste of electricity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
Please look at a map.

There is nothing "north" in any sense or connotation of that word about the Alamo Ranch area.

Far west side, outer west side..whatever you want to say..it is the west side of San Antonio.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM

218 posts, read 501,471 times
Wow there are a lot of snobs here. Not everyone can afford a $200K house in one of the better areas of town. You guys need to visit Mexico and a real ghetto if you think that area of town compares. If you have and still think that I'm saying it's BS right now.

Everybody talks about how bad everything is here in sa and how the city is going downhill. Crime rates haven't changed much over the years.

By the way I am typing this from the "ghetto" of Culebra and 1604 where my in laws have lived for 20+ years with very little problems. Are there better areas, yes. Are there much worse, yes.

Sent from the secret mobile dojo

Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
The areas you mentioned are old and outdated and just dirty in general. If that is what you like, then so be it.

But for me, I would never want to live in a house older than 10 years old. New is always better.
...and I moved away from suburbia (grew up in a brand new home). I may not like Stone Oak, but I admit that it is a nice place for many... it just isn't my cup of tea. HOWEVER, I don't go around spouting incorrect statements like "old and outdated and just dirty". Some of the homes in Lavaca have been renovated to efficiency standards BETTER than the average new construction. When Top Chef came to town, where did they go? Oh, the reinvented Pearl and the always hip King William! If you want to talk "green", then "old" is almost always better than "new".

The "new is always better" statement can be also be refuted with one name - Olmos Park, home of some of the most expensive real estate in all of SA.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,058 times
If you like middle class neighborhoods, Alamo Ranch is fine. If you like upper middle class then Stone Oak is good. We've lived in Westcreek 16 years and no break-ins...and yes, we've accidentally left the garage door up more than once :-)

Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times
Quote:
I used to live off Les Harrison, years ago. Couple of fellow posters here at this forum, live there still.
Ask a few questions of them. Hill Country Rodman and others have already I made entries about how bad it is there, how downhill it has gone in the Les Harrison Street area.
I don't live off Les Harrison, but nearby. On a positive note, it looks like a group of homeowners in the area have started wiping out the graffiti. We'll see how long that will last. It's somethng they are going to have to stay on top of in order to win the battle. Paint, lot's of paint.

I did look at several homes in Sonoma and the Helotes area, but due to a situation beyond my control I am going to have to hold off on selling my home for awhile. I like being close to Highway 16. I hop on and drive out to the horse rescue to work when I need a break from every day life and I'm now okay with living here (for the time being). I have decent neighbors and we keep an eye out for each other.

While I'm not thrilled being here, I have learned that things could be worse, and I'm trying to stay positive.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM

41 posts, read 85,119 times
ddeel and hedge_hogmom, thanks for the info., and I wish everyone appreciated different races as you do! We drove through much of SO today, and it is very nice. There are a lot of stores/restaurants, but they seemed pretty far from the subdivisions further out where they're building new homes. Our realtor was out of town his weekend so we couldn't look at pre-owned (kind of prefer new anyways), and our plane leaves tomorrow evening. Checked out Helotes and Sonoma Ranch again - very nice but not enough around.
SA5, it's good to know that you've lived in West Creek that long with no problems. We drove through there today, and it's held up. I know some people have said AR will become a ghetto, but it seems like West Creek has managed to survive, so there's hope for AR. OaklandR, glad your inlaws haven't had a lot of problems.
Well, I have a 1/2 day left to look tomorrow.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio